Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Heroes: New NBC drama

Heroes: New NBC drama (Page 3)
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 02:44 PM

Mithras

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2007, 03:59 PM

Post is all spoilers.

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Cool, I caught it on iTunes. One thing I didn't understand, though --
Why didn't the Haitian shut down Ted the Red? Doesn't he have the power to "disable" other Heroes within some radius?
I take it that the Haitian has the power to block people's minds. He can stop the cop's mind-reading ability, and could probably stop Ted from intentionally going nuclear, but Ted's body was reacting automatically.

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Also, just to clarify about the ending --
Was the idea that the Haitian would report back to the Company that he'd killed Mr. Bennett, who would then go into hiding? brassplayers, where did you get the suggestion that Mr. Bennett's memory would be wiped? And is the Haitian taking Claire in to the Company?
When Mr. Bennett was back at the company, his boss revealed that they thought the Haitian was responsible for keeping everybody in the dark about Claire's powers, and he'd dropped off their radar since he was found out. So they wanted to make it look like Mr. Bennett was taking Claire in while the Haitian ambushed him, wiped his mind and took Claire.

Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 04:10 PM

I still find it funny that everybody in the show, whether they knew him well or not, referred to him as "The Haitian," instead of "The Black Guy."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I still find it funny that everybody in the show, whether they knew him well or not, referred to him as "The Haitian," instead of "The Black Guy."
Well, to be fair, he is Haitian.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 04:48 PM

Wow, last night's episode was probably the best hour of TV I've seen since the first season of Lost.

My big question is whether or not Sulu/Hiro's dad has a power. It seems that these "mutations" run in the family, so it's possible he has some kind of power. Or was Hiro adopted as well? Hmm....

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2007, 04:51 PM

My brother had a similar thought, jokell. But Hiro may very well be adopted.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Who referred to him as "the Haitian" before they'd heard somebody else call him that?

As for Hiro's dad, he would be very old for somebody with powers. I thought Doctor Who was supposed to be one of the first.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Feb 27, 2007 at 04:59 PM. )
Chuck
___

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Who referred to him as "the Haitian" before they'd heard somebody else call him that?

As for Hiro's dad, he would be very old for somebody with powers. I thought Doctor Who was supposed to be one of the first.
I thought Parkman referred to him as "The Haitian" after the raid. He said something about not being able to read someone's thoughts when the haitian came in.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
To step outside of the speculation for a second, I just thought I'd say that Heroes is nothing short of spectacular. I have yet to watch an episode and think "meh." Something important always happens, something that takes the story line further always, happens, etc.

As much as I hate to admit it, Heroes is becoming much better than LOST (obvious) and -- dare I say -- Battlestar.
Well, to be fair, Lost and Battlestar were rather spectacular in their first seasons as well. It seems that, once a show has acquired it's following, the writers start to coast a bit. What will be amazing is if Heroes is still spectacular in it's third season.

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Feb 27, 2007, 07:43 PM

I LOVED last nights episode! And I agree that Heroes is the best hour of TV right now. 24 is a distant 2nd for me.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2007, 09:30 PM

and still does

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2007, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by jonasmac View Post
I LOVED last nights episode! And I agree that Heroes is the best hour of TV right now. 24 is a distant 2nd for me.

It's also the symbol on Ando's sword, I think.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 01:09 AM

It was also on a bus stop window in the background of one shot.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 02:30 AM

The symbol is all over the place and has been since the first episode. The Haitian wears it around his neck, it's tattooed on Jessica, it was doodled on a sticky note on one copy of Dr. Suresh's book (might have been Claire's, don't remember), it's on Hiro's sword.

At one point Ando describes it as being a combination of two characters, but I don't remember what ones or what they mean...

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 02:33 AM

It was in the pool in one of the early shows also.

It's also in the data stream on the laptop.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nebagakid View Post
Nikki's superpower being a bipolar woman who blacks out... wow.... I just don't like her character at all.

Now Claire and Peter are my favs.
It is the most stupid superpower and the most annoying character. Unfortunately, I fear that this character will be kept alive at the end of the season.

Despite being the single most useless and hated character. Reason being 'there is good in her' and she can wear really tight jeans. Thassaboutit.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 12:09 PM

I wonder what would happen if Peter met Nikki.
Chuck
___

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 12:33 PM

I hope they kill of Nikki.
At the beginning of the show when she killed those people in her garage and we had no idea how, that was cool. Personally, I see her as far too whiny. Honestly, that side (her family) of Heroes they could ditch and I wouldn't be bothered.
Come to think of it, how do they fit into the grand scheme of save the cheerleader.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 12:44 PM

I think there's still some development to Nikki's character and power left. When she was in prison there was a scene where it looked like she was starting to be able to use the super strength on her own when she wasn't Jessica. I may have just not seen the tattoo, or maybe it was a mistake on their part, but lately I've started to wonder if maybe the strength is Nikki's power and the split personality thing is because Jessica had some ability to inhabit other people's bodies or something. If that's the case and Nikki could learn to control her power and keep Jessica at bay, maybe she could turn into a worthwhile character.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I wonder what would happen if Peter met Nikki.
Peter's ability is the most powerful. Similar to Sylar's, but more effective since he doesn't have to kill people to gain their powers.

If Peter met Nikki he'd get a split personality, of course. That's her 'power'. I hope they kill her off, but I'm not holding my breath.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2007, 01:25 PM

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooh

I wonder if an "evil Peter" sets off the bomb.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 01:31 PM

But perhaps the Haitian trumps them all. Unless Peter can absorb the Haitian's "un-power" somehow -- that'd be a nice trick.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I hope they kill of Nikki.
At the beginning of the show when she killed those people in her garage and we had no idea how, that was cool. Personally, I see her as far too whiny. Honestly, that side (her family) of Heroes they could ditch and I wouldn't be bothered.
Come to think of it, how do they fit into the grand scheme of save the cheerleader.

And as for the "save the cheerleader" grand scheme, that's mostly been abandoned. Peter saved her, now it's on to bigger and better things.

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Peter's ability is the most powerful. Similar to Sylar's, but more effective since he doesn't have to kill people to gain their powers.

If Peter met Nikki he'd get a split personality, of course. That's her 'power'. I hope they kill her off, but I'm not holding my breath.

V
Her power is her strength, not her split personalities.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Feb 28, 2007, 02:07 PM

Niki's power isn't polarity, it is a form of 'super strength.'

Her bi-polar issues are a complication and she only seems to have full access to her ability when the 'bad side' comes out.

Yes, bi-polarism as a power would be stupid. Fortunately, it's not hers.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 02:44 PM

Actually, Nikki doesn't yet seem to have any powers. Jessica is the one with the super strength and perhaps also the ability to possess other people ... or at least the ability to possess Nikki.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Well, Ando learned how to speak English thanks to Nikki

... that's all I've got ...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I think there's still some development to Nikki's character and power left. When she was in prison there was a scene where it looked like she was starting to be able to use the super strength on her own when she wasn't Jessica. I may have just not seen the tattoo, or maybe it was a mistake on their part, but lately I've started to wonder if maybe the strength is Nikki's power and the split personality thing is because Jessica had some ability to inhabit other people's bodies or something. If that's the case and Nikki could learn to control her power and keep Jessica at bay, maybe she could turn into a worthwhile character.
Interesting. Perhaps Nikki get's rid of Jessica, Jessica takes over someone else's body and becomes an evil character.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 02:58 PM

The whole mirror/reflection thing is totally stupid IMHO. That's what makes her lame.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
The whole mirror/reflection thing is totally stupid IMHO. That's what makes her lame.
I suppose, but how else to you communicate a conversation between Nikki and Jessica?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Interesting. Perhaps Nikki get's rid of Jessica, Jessica takes over someone else's body and becomes an evil character.
If you really want to know you could read the spoiler I posted above.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I suppose, but how else to you communicate a conversation between Nikki and Jessica?
Well, as others have said, *I* wouldn't because her character is lame -- she wouldn't be in the show to begin with. She's totally out of place (so far).
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 05:59 PM

To me shes more a head case. Peter wasn't much of anything till he learned to use his power, now he seems the most powerful of all of them, next to Sylar. If Nikki/Jessica can get their heads together, all will be fine.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 06:09 PM

Nikki/Jessica are going to become much more relevant soon, I imagine. With them working for Linderman, and Hiro going to try and steal the sword from Linderman, it's pretty much an inevitable confrontation.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 08:27 PM

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
And as for the "save the cheerleader" grand scheme, that's mostly been abandoned. Peter saved her, now it's on to bigger and better things.
No, they haven't really addressed how saving the cheerleader saved the world, so we don't really know how everyone will fit in the overall story.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 08:51 PM

Can we stop using all the spoiler tags? I mean, its like with the Battlestar thread, if you read it you should expect spoilers. Heck, everything you say could be a spoiler. Gee wiz.

Heros wiki is a great spot for info on all the powers.

Main Page - Heroes Wiki

The Haitians power only blocks out other `mential` powers around him, and he needs to touch someone to actually erase their memories. Which is why he could block out Parkman and Sylar, but not Peter and Mr. Invisable.

If you guys have not done so, you should read all the online Hero comics. They actually explain a lot of the story, and fill in random bits of info. It also fills in the backstories of several people.

I`m guessing Parkman and Mr. Bennit will be partners together, and try and work against the company to save Claire. The nice part about this show is that they can always add new people in and out of the mix. In a very comic book sort of way.

The show has already been approved for a second season. I believe that its been stated that it will have a 5 year story arch, if possible.

While Niki is kind of annoying it would be interesting to see how the whole Jessica thing works out. Its implied that her sister also had a special gift, and that Niki had no memory of her Father`s abuse because of Jessica. The general theory is that Jessica did move over her mind, and that there is a great internal conflict going on. The whole mirror thing is kind of weird, but I think its the best way to show the conflict between the two personalities.

I`m waiting for a massive fight between Sylar and Peter. Then we can see the other powers Sylar picked up along the way (like his ice powers), and also see Peter kick some butt. As opposed to just complaining and looking emo.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Can we stop using all the spoiler tags? I mean, its like with the Battlestar thread, if you read it you should expect spoilers. Heck, everything you say could be a spoiler. Gee wiz.
Discussing what has already aired shouldn't be tagged. However stuff like I wrote earlier could spoil FUTURE episodes, which is exactly what the spoiler tag is there for.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Discussing what has already aired shouldn't be tagged.
Some of us Tivo it.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Some of us Tivo it.
True, but if I tivo'd an episode, I wouldn't check out a forum about that show until I watched it...sort of common sense

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2007, 11:51 PM

WOOHOO! my idea on the Haitan only able to stop "mind powers" was right! YES!!!!
thank you JoshuaZ
-a

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2007, 01:42 AM

No, they haven't really addressed how saving the cheerleader saved the world, so we don't really know how everyone will fit in the overall story.
I believe Claire had to be saved from Sylar because if she had been scalped Sylar would have gained her healing powers, making him essentially unstoppable. And that would have spelled doom for most every hero.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2007, 02:21 AM

I assume it had a double meaning. (a) Saving the cheerleader was necessary to save the world and/or (b) you need to save the cheeleader then save the world, chronologically speaking.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
True, but if I tivo'd an episode, I wouldn't check out a forum about that show until I watched it...sort of common sense
Good point…

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I believe Claire had to be saved from Sylar because if she had been scalped Sylar would have gained her healing powers, making him essentially unstoppable. And that would have spelled doom for most every hero.
In Peter Petrelli's vision he says "I took his power, but I can't control it". Now that I've seen Ted in action he must be who Peter is talking about. Ted seemed like he could barely control it and in the vision Peter looked just like Ted did at the end of "Company Man" when he lost control.

For all we know, Claire my be the only one who can get close enough to stop Peter from exploding.

That's one guess anyway.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2007, 02:38 AM

Yeah, but wasn't Simone in Peter's vision....... ?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2007, 03:20 AM

For all we know, Claire my be the only one who can get close enough to stop Peter from exploding.
That's what I thought during this last episode. I was like, "Oh, if Claire can survive this, that explains why they needed to save her to save the world."
Chuck
___

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nebagakid View Post
Yeah, but wasn't Simone in Peter's vision....... ?
She's also alive in the preview for next weeks episode, though that could just be part of a dream or something.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2007, 09:23 AM

In Peter Petrelli's vision he says "I took his power, but I can't control it". Now that I've seen Ted in action he must be who Peter is talking about.
Or it could be Sylar he's talking about. Sylar's gained so many powers that if Peter were to take everything he had, he'd probably go into some kind of "power overload."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2007, 09:58 AM

In Peter Petrelli's vision he says "I took his power, but I can't control it". Now that I've seen Ted in action he must be who Peter is talking about. Ted seemed like he could barely control it and in the vision Peter looked just like Ted did at the end of "Company Man" when he lost control.

That's one guess anyway.
Yeah, Ted's "the bomb" and Peter is going to gain his power but not know how to stop it, according to the vision. I did not consider that Claire may need to defuse him.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2007, 11:20 AM

That's one guess anyway.
Ted was quite in control of his power...remember how he made those little explosions in his hands while guarding Claire's family? He only lost control when he got shot and his body went crazy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules