Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > X killed all my Entourage email!

X killed all my Entourage email!
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2001, 04:32 PM

I need some help!!

I just installed OS X on my PBG4 right over OS 9.1 (I know, bad move, but I'm going to separate my HD into partitions soon). I opened up Microsoft Entourage (which worked like a charm before installing X) and now all my email is gone! I looked around hoping to find a backup directory or the storage directory for the program but I couldn't find any suitable files to import.

Does my email still exist somewhere? Can I use Entourage with a new profile or something that corresponds to my old profile so I can get my email back??

Thanks a million guys..
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

anothermacguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2001, 12:30 PM

Your Entourage emails/address book, etc is kept in a directory called Microsoft User Data within your Documents Folder (this is where it would have been in 9.1). If, when you installed X, this directory got deleted, you might be screwed. I'd suggest looking for that folder. If you find it, and you see the Entourage databses within, reply to this post. The only thing you will need to do is point Entourage back to this folder, which it may not be doing now.

Entourage doesn't backup your files, you should be doing this yourself. As you may have inferred, the only folder you would need to backup is your Microsoft User DAta dir.

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2001, 11:41 AM

I'm not sure if I've found an Entourage database or not. There is a directory called Office 2001 Identities/Main Identity and in there are some files that look promising..suchs as one called Messages and is fairly large (5.6 MB).

Now that I think I've found it, how do I point Entourage back there?

Thanks for your help..
Black iPod nano 4GB

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2001, 02:12 AM

I had the same problem and there is an easy solution. OS X has the concept of Users - each user having their own place to store all the files that they use - away from everyone else.

The install of X is pointing at your new User file area where your Entourage files are not. You need to find the Microsoft User Data folder and place it in your documents folder - this should work but I haven't tried using only X as I don't care for the classic environment.

good luck - let me know how you go

Simon
this sig intentionally left blank

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2001, 09:56 AM

Woohoo!! That worked perfectly. Thank you very, very much!
Black iPod nano 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules