Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Java Help

Java Help
turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 01:46 AM

Hi everyone. I'm trying to compile the following code in Java on my Mac:

import javabook.*;

class TestJava
{
public static void main (String[] args)
{
//declare the MainWindow and the MessageBox
MainWindow mainWindow;
MessageBox messageBox;

//Create the MainWindow and the MessageBox
mainWindow = new MainWindow ("TestJava");
messageBox = new MessageBox (mainWindow);

//display MainWindow and the MessageBox
mainWindow.setVisible (true);
messageBox.show ("Your Java development environment has been setup successfully. ");
}
}

I've put a folder called "javabook" (no quotes) in my /Library/Java/Extensions folder, but to no avail (NoClassDefFound error). Can anybody help me? I guess I need to know where to put my .class files. Thanks!

turboSPE

rchang713
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2004, 03:48 AM

Are you compiling from the terminal? If so you can then just set your classpath (telling javac where to look for classes) at compile time. If you put a javabook directory in your home directory, you should just be able to use: "javac -classpath /Users/yourName/ TestJava.java" You probably don't want to put all classes you'll ever be using in the system wide classpath location (I'm not sure where that is on OS X). If you're using an IDE there's going to be a way to set up your classpath for each project you start as well. This helps to avoid cluttering your system with class files you're only going to use a few times.

turboSPE  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by rchang713:
Are you compiling from the terminal? If so you can then just set your classpath (telling javac where to look for classes) at compile time. If you put a javabook directory in your home directory, you should just be able to use: "javac -classpath /Users/yourName/ TestJava.java" You probably don't want to put all classes you'll ever be using in the system wide classpath location (I'm not sure where that is on OS X). If you're using an IDE there's going to be a way to set up your classpath for each project you start as well. This helps to avoid cluttering your system with class files you're only going to use a few times.
That worked! Thanks for your help!

turboSPE

Forum Links
Forum Rules