Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Zenith P60W26P 60" Plasma as an external monitor?

Zenith P60W26P 60" Plasma as an external monitor?
romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 02:05 PM

I am looking to buy a Zenith 60" Plasma display and wanted to also be able to use with my Ti.... has anyone tried one?

Specs below:

P60W26P Silver 60" Plasma HDTV Monitor Display 16:9
1280 x 720p Resolution
Input Signal: VGA, SVGA, XGA, HD, NTSC, SXGA
Brightness: 600 cd/m�
Viewing Angle: 160�
Contrast Ratio: 800:1

Aspect Ratio Correction: Normal, Wide, Zoom
60" Plasma HDTV Monitor - Groundbreaking display technology delivers superior image clarity, color, and brightness in large-format televisions that are less than 4" thick

tvfollower
Aug 17, 2003, 08:07 PM

Anyone who pays $20,000 for a tv/monitor is a complete fool.

JasonQG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2003, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
Input Signal: VGA, SVGA, XGA, HD, NTSC, SXGA
Looks like it should.

romeosc  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by tvfollower:
Anyone who pays $20,000 for a tv/monitor is a complete fool.

I am not a fool, it is for a TV and I can get it fot $10,000. and it fits in perfect in my entertainment room!

I just wanted to let it do dual duty as an external monitor.

tvfollower
Aug 17, 2003, 08:55 PM

But...$10,000 is...a lot...of money...dude...

I mean...come on...it's a TV...not a car...

macxtal
Aug 17, 2003, 08:59 PM

I don't blink at blowing that on my other hobbies, so I'm not going cast any stones. Financial issues aside, it'll work great for games and movies. I would try one though for using to edit text, email, or documents - the dot pitch on those guys is pretty hideous, and you might come to hate it in a hurry.

Get a cheaper plasma TV and pick up a cinema display, my recommendation.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by tvfollower:
But...$10,000 is...a lot...of money...dude...

I mean...come on...it's a TV...not a car...
To you it is, to him maybe it's not. Not for you to judge. I know people who think $100K is chump change, or at least what you blow on vacation. I live next to a retired investment banker who makes over $150K /month on dividends and interest alone.

If I wanted an HD plasma TV (I don't) I'd place the Zenith in my top 10 list, it's a nice set. For overall value though, I'd go for the Samsung 50" Plasma HDTV (HPN5039) for @$7500 (shipped). Gawd, it's beautiful. It doesn't have as much screen real estate, but it makes up for it a bit in overall bells and whistles and screen quality.

Specs:

Maximum resolution (1366 x 768 pixels) supports 720p native TV resolution, for brilliant performance with high-definition content

DVI interface provides a direct digital-to-digital video connection for superior signal integrity with compatible sources

Advanced connectivity, including S-video and 2 component video inputs, plus a 15-pin D-sub connection for use as a PC display

High-contrast (900:1), high-brightness (800 cd/m�) panel with 160-degree viewing angle (horizontal and vertical)

Dual NTSC (analog) tuners built in, with split-
DNIe (Digital Natural Image engine) circuitry provides enhanced detail and contrast, video noise reduction and white-balance enhancement for an amazing picture

Fanless liquid cooling system for quiet operation and long display life

50" 16:9 display is just over 3" deep and under 100 lbs.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

romeosc  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 07:01 PM

Thanks for info.... still looking .... would love to hear from someone who has sprung for one. I just don't want to have to have buyer's regret when the bigger & better comes down the pike.

Some people spend money on boats, toy trains or remote contol cars.... I have always had a great video setup..... First was a 7' Advent in 1974....etc.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules