Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Camcorder or iSight?

Camcorder or iSight?
tavilach
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 09:19 PM

I'm going to college next fall, and will want to occasionally video chat with the family.

What is better...to get a $300 camcorder that I can use as a camcorder and a webcam, or an iSight?

I'm thinking that I might want to pursue video creation as a hobby...

But then, is just a camcorder with a PowerBook enough? I have a PC right now (shh!), so I haven't used iMovie much...is it enough for the needs of a beginner (but a beginner who happens to be a techie)?

Maybe I would want to get Final Cut Express 2, too?

Hmm.

Because then that adds up to $450, versus a simple $150...

But if I don't need extra software, and I'm okay with just the camcorder and iMovie to start out with, then it seems logical to get the camcorder, no? Amazon has some great $300 camcorders...

I've never had a camcorder before, but I've always wanted one.

Also, if I get a camcorder, I'm sure I'll have to wait a while before I get a new Palm Pilot or my first iPod...but I think I'm fine listening to my music on my computer (I don't go out too much...that'll probably change in college, though), and I wouldn't want to break the iPod, either (so I'd never bring it anywhere).

And I guess a m515 is suitable at the moment? I just sort of want a Palm Pilot/Phone, like a Treo 700 () or so...meh...
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 11:09 PM

a camcorder is much more useful than an isight imo. and imovie is adequate. upgrade only when you need to, don't plan yourself into a funk

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2004, 11:18 PM

Camcorder. Why spend 50% of the cost of a camcorder on an iSight when you know you want a camcorder? You'll just need a cheap tripod or beanbag to put the camcorder on for iSight functionality.

By the way, mine comes with a remote. You can zoom in and out on yourself for iChat.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Also, if I get a camcorder, I'm sure I'll have to wait a while before I get a new Palm Pilot or my first iPod...but I think I'm fine listening to my music on my computer (I don't go out too much...that'll probably change in college, though), and I wouldn't want to break the iPod, either (so I'd never bring it anywhere).
you sad sad child
why deprive yourself of an iPod, which is vastly more important ;-)
atleast in my eyes
i don't know where i'd be w/o my iPod.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
you sad sad child
why deprive yourself of an iPod, which is vastly more important ;-)
atleast in my eyes
i don't know where i'd be w/o my iPod.
Hehe.

Well, you see, I know myself, and I'd be so overprotective that I'd never even use it...you know?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2004, 09:10 AM

I've had a digital camcorder since the day iChat AV came out, and ever since...i've wanted an iSight. While the camcorder does give you a better picture, it's always over to the side. I would REALLY like to get my camcorder right over my iMac. Someone should come out with a stand for camcorders to sit around the same position over your iMac. Nothing that mounts to it or anything, just something that makes it hover over the base. NOT TO MENTION that there's some set up involved with a camcorder. I'm a convienence freak, so that pisses me off having to get it out every time i want to video chat. Although i must say i have about 5-7 people on my buddy list who can audio chat, and only 3-5 of them can do video. If you can't tell i'm still very conflicted about it myself. P.S. the iSight is only $129 with your educational discount at the Apple Store online or retail.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 04:21 PM

$129 is the same as $150 in my opinion ...

Eh, but a camcorder is so much cooler!

I'd only be video chatting with my family maybe once a month...so would it really matter if it's off to the side? And who cares that I have to get it out, in that situation.

Agh, but camcorder is also hella more expensive.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 03:19 AM

Come to think of it, is there any sort of stand for camcorders that would center my camcorder like an iSight? I don't really know how that would work...but hey, you never know...

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2004, 07:20 AM

All you really need is some kind of U-shaped stand that sits right over the base of the iMac. That would be perfect. I'm surprised no one has come up with something like that.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Come to think of it, is there any sort of stand for camcorders that would center my camcorder like an iSight? I don't really know how that would work...but hey, you never know...
i would forgo the dead-center perspective and simply use a $20 tabletop tripod.

taldrich
Feb 12, 2004, 01:29 PM

OK stop right now. You might be a student, but credit's easy! Get iSight and a better camcorder. Use iMovie.

DO NOT DENY YOURSELF
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by taldrich:
OK stop right now. You might be a student, but credit's easy! Get iSight and a better camcorder. Use iMovie.

DO NOT DENY YOURSELF
Excuse me?

I'm dishing out $2500 for a 15" PowerBook...I'm not denying myself...

But I know that I need to video chat...and I'm trying to be economical, judging by what I'll need to buy in the future, as well...

macxtal
Feb 12, 2004, 10:21 PM

I work with metal.. and have a camcorder and a powerbook. Maybe I can come up with something .

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2004, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by macxtal:
I work with metal.. and have a camcorder and a powerbook. Maybe I can come up with something .

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 05:27 PM

The problem I have always had using a dvcam is when you have to set it up and get it working. Moving all your junk around and trying to get the camera placed propery. The other problem I have run into is the camera powering itself off automatically. I'm sure you can turn this 'feature' off, but usually my vidchats are so spontaneous that I don't do any pre-configuring and then the whole chat ends up being disconnected and reconnecting over and over until you give up and just go back to text chat.

Just make sure you pre-config everything and the tripod idea is brilliant. I think I will pick one up at Best Buy tonite.

-b

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2004, 10:13 AM

And after all of this, i'm still thinking that even though i already have a DV camecorder, that an iSight would 1000 times more conveinient. Come on...IT WOULD!

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Frumpy:
And after all of this, i'm still thinking that even though i already have a DV camecorder, that an iSight would 1000 times more conveinient. Come on...IT WOULD!
But it's so expensive...for someone who would only video chat once every few weeks, is it really necessary?

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 03:47 PM

^ I concurr.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 10:22 PM

I'm quite happy with my iSight and since the new iMovie does allow recording I'm happier. Cost me $129
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by cenutrio:
I'm quite happy with my iSight and since the new iMovie does allow recording I'm happier. Cost me $129
But if you were in my position, and you had nothing yet, would you get the iSight or the camcorder?

ghotirking
Feb 15, 2004, 11:58 PM

I say if you're planning on getting in to video, get the DV cam. In the long run, the extra 'hassle' of setting it up for chats is outweighed by the mere fact that it's a DV camera to boot.
"Hold on sec b1gb00bz4u, I'm importing my dailies from today's shoot. As soon as that's done, we'll vidchat and discuss your part in my next video, mmmkay?"

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2004, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by ghotirking:
I say if you're planning on getting in to video, get the DV cam. In the long run, the extra 'hassle' of setting it up for chats is outweighed by the mere fact that it's a DV camera to boot.
"Hold on sec b1gb00bz4u, I'm importing my dailies from today's shoot. As soon as that's done, we'll vidchat and discuss your part in my next video, mmmkay?"
Not looking into doing those kinds of videos .

wreks
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2004, 12:37 AM

I was in the same boat on deciding which camera to get. I decided to just buy an isight off ebay. I want a dv cam too but right now I only want to spend like $350 max, that would be enough for a lower end model but I usually regret buying a low end model anything.

The isight will be nice for now, see how much I actually use the thing. When I end up buying a dv cam later I can always sell the isight, they seem to hold their value. Whereas dv cams are getting better and better, I can't see them doing too much with isight 2.0. But cool whatever you decide...

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by wreks:
I was in the same boat on deciding which camera to get. I decided to just buy an isight off ebay. I want a dv cam too but right now I only want to spend like $350 max, that would be enough for a lower end model but I usually regret buying a low end model anything.

The isight will be nice for now, see how much I actually use the thing. When I end up buying a dv cam later I can always sell the isight, they seem to hold their value. Whereas dv cams are getting better and better, I can't see them doing too much with isight 2.0. But cool whatever you decide...
The thing with me is that I would never get a high end DV camera, given that I have absolutely no experience with them whatsoever. On Amazon, there are decent midrange cameras that would normally cost $450 - $700, so I'm thinking that's a pretty good deal .

But I don't know...it's hard...gah!

If I keep waiting for DV cameras to get better, I'll never have one!

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2004, 08:13 AM

That's it. Today is the day. Now that i've found all of my windows buddies using iChat AV 2.1, i'm going out and buying an iSight. The camcorder is very nice, but i'm going to leave that to what it does best...taking video and placing it on a cassette for later use. For instant web chat gratification, i'm going with the iSight.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 10:24 PM

That's it. Today is the day. Now that i've found all of my windows buddies using iChat AV 2.1, i'm going out and buying an iSight. The camcorder is very nice, but i'm going to leave that to what it does best...taking video and placing it on a cassette for later use. For instant web chat gratification, i'm going with the iSight.
Since I have neither, however, what should I do? The video conferencing is more of a necessity, however I'd only be doing it once a month or so. The DV part is a luxury, but I'd be using it every day. Seems to me that it's the way to go.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2004, 10:45 PM

Oh, My, God. The iSight is a lot better than i thought it would be. I can't believe i put up with that camcorder for so long. So much hassle to set up when someone would want to video chat. FInally i have the perfect equipment for the job. Every Mac owner with broadband should have one.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 12:56 AM

Oh, My, God. The iSight is a lot better than i thought it would be. I can't believe i put up with that camcorder for so long. So much hassle to set up when someone would want to video chat. FInally i have the perfect equipment for the job. Every Mac owner with broadband should have one.
Please see my above reply...if you were me, and you didn't have a camcorder, which one would be more beneficial (above I state what being me entails).

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2004, 12:59 AM

Well, if you're going to be taking more video using DV, then obviously go with the camcorder. I'm just saying that EVENTUALLY, you'll end up with both. But buy the one that is going to be the most beneficial to you right NOW. That would be the camcorder. Worry about the iSight later when you can't take the fact that you have to pull out your camcorder just to do a nice quick video chat.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2004, 03:12 AM

Well, if you're going to be taking more video using DV, then obviously go with the camcorder. I'm just saying that EVENTUALLY, you'll end up with both. But buy the one that is going to be the most beneficial to you right NOW. That would be the camcorder. Worry about the iSight later when you can't take the fact that you have to pull out your camcorder just to do a nice quick video chat.
Sounds good to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules