Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help! I dropped my 17" Powerbook!

Help! I dropped my 17" Powerbook! (Page 2)
sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2004, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by sugarkane:

i bet you wouldn't let your girl hit the deck from 2 feet head first....

sk

well WOULD ya??????

na i didn't think so.....

sk

phc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by swimfan:
Here's the situation: I had my 17" Powerbook (only 3 months old) in a laptop bag. I was carrying the bag briefcase style about 11 inches off the ground.
Actually the *exact* same thing happened with my 15" Titanium PowerBook. I had a Marware Sportfolio sleeve on and I thought I had the shoulder strap so I let go and it fell. I tried to catch it but about a foot from the ground I couldn't hang on anymore and the corner of it hit the ground. I opened it up and the corner was dented out and there was a minor crack in the paint along the bezel.

I ended up taking the bottom piece of the laptop off and I'm sure it didn't void my warranty because the instructions to install my airport card called for taking off the cover. I took a rubber mallet and a soft cloth and pounded the Ti back into place. I'm not sure if the new PowerBooks have a small door on the back to install the airport card but if you can find instructions on installing an airport card and it requires you to remove the bottom piece of the case, I would assume it is safe.

geordie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2004, 12:58 PM

When my 17 came back from Apple for a logic board repair it had a new dent. It is purely cosmetic, and after a week without my latpotp I did not want to send it back in, but if even the Apple service people end up denting it sometimes then the frame is probably not well enough supported.

That being said though there are always certain applications of small forces that will damage anything. It just has to be in the highly localized impact in a direction that does not oppose the force well. I have a dimple in my trackpad caused by a pen falling out of my shirt pocket when I leaned over to grab something from the oppossite side of my desk. I still would not go back to using my old indestructible iBook though.
Geordie Korper
[email protected]

ejdejong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2004, 04:44 PM

may be apple apple can contact glock and build a
glock mac so we can drop it 50 feet from a helicopter and still read mail

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2004, 05:40 PM

All I can say is WOW! How can you people spend this much dough on a computer and drop it so often?
How can you buy such cheezy "protection" and get mad at Apple?
Amazing stuff these posts...

SB

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2004, 06:11 PM

Countless...well, more than ten (I can only count to ten with my fingers) people have finally taken my recommendation and bought a ZERO Halliburton case _after_ they had minor bumps which turned into catastrophes.

I just don't see how 10% of the PowerBook cost for a sturdy case could be considered _expensive_. I suppose people need to compare the cost of a ZERO or Pelican case to "tier-two" or "tier-three" repair in order to realize that these cases are inexpensive after all.

Originally posted by slboett:
All I can say is WOW! How can you people spend this much dough on a computer and drop it so often?
How can you buy such cheezy "protection" and get mad at Apple?
Amazing stuff these posts...

SB
( Last edited by Paul Huang; Mar 14, 2004 at 07:23 PM. )

dcarmich
Mar 14, 2004, 07:35 PM

I'd have to recommend R&R Cases.

I have a custom-built case from them for my 17" PowerBook, and I've been very happy with it. (Mine goes to/from school and to many other places, and I've never had anything serious happen to my 'Book.)

Talk to Jim Price ([email protected] ) and he'll be happy to set you up with one for your
'Book. (Tell him Douglas sent ya.

Here are some pictures of mine:
Opened
Closed (front view)
Closed (back view)

--Douglas

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2004, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by dcarmich:
I'd have to recommend R&R Cases.

I have a custom-built case from them for my 17" PowerBook, and I've been very happy with it. (Mine goes to/from school and to many other places, and I've never had anything serious happen to my 'Book.)

Talk to Jim Price ([email protected] ) and he'll be happy to set you up with one for your
'Book. (Tell him Douglas sent ya.

Here are some pictures of mine:
Opened
Closed (front view)
Closed (back view)

--Douglas
With that thing it'll look like you're carrying plutonium or some other crazy thing.
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2004, 02:48 AM

Those RR cases are common sights on movie studio lots. It doesn't look like ammo cases. Heck, I used to use an M16-shell ammo case as my rescue toolkit case. I carried that for years between LAX/BUR and SFO/OAK. Now we have FireWire, 802.11g and USB flash devices, I no longer carry CDs. I use a ZERO Halliburton case instead.

poolmouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2004, 03:32 AM

i bought a timbuk2 detour backpack and a sleeve from sfbags.com. the timbuk2 is TOTALLY waterproof (WATERPROOF!!!)...while the sfbags.com sleeve gives it a bit more protection. i also added 1/2" of dense foam to the bottom of the sleeve. plenty of protection.

as a freelance tech who's always on the run...rain or shine...i can't overstress the WATERPROOFNESS factor. mind you, i'm not talking about water resistance...ain't no such thing.

check out the timbuk2 detour WATERPROOF backpack (i chose black on black):

http://www.timbuk2.com/detour.t2

check out the waterfield horizontal laptop protective sleeve (#2, horizontal):

http://sfbags.com/PRODUCTS/SC_INFO/sc.htm

i got the heads up from a businessman who cycles to and from work on his bicycle. i couldn't be more pleased with the timbuk2 detour bag and waterflield sleeve. potent combination!

poolmouse
( Last edited by poolmouse; Mar 15, 2004 at 03:38 AM. )

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 15, 2004, 05:01 AM

While I have to agree with poolmouse that Timbuk2 and Waterfield Designs (sfbags.com) are a great combo and are incredibly products, I am disinclined to say the Timbuk2 is TOTALLY waterproof. The Timbuk2 is incredibly water resistant. One can ride in heavy rain and not have anything inside get wet. That is water resistant. Now dropping the aforementioned bag in a swimming pool is a test of whether something is totally waterproof. No one in their right mind would do that with a Timbuk2 bag.

Totally waterproof would have to go to Pelican cases. I would recommend the 1490cc#1. Load a Powerbook into that and toss it into a pool. No issues. Heck, use it as a flotation device. The case comes with an atmospheric purge valve. Why? Open the case up in a plane or in Denver. Close the case and arrive at sea level. Watch atmospheric pressure keep your case closed. With a new o ring, the thing is air tight.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 08:16 AM

Seems to be a lot of discussion as to the dissatisfaction that Apple's warranty (yes, Apple care is Apple warranty, just extended with the continuation of the phone support) doesn't cover your dents.

Just curious... how many of you have a car that is COMPLETELY free of all dings, scratches, blemishes, etc. If you do, congratulations, you've done what 99% of Americans can't.

Of those of you who have a blemish on your car, (yes, including those door dings from parking in parking lots) how many of you have gone back to the dealership and complained about how easy the car is to dent, how soft the metal (plastic/fiber glass) is, etc. And how many have asked that it be fixed completely free under the terms of the warranty?

Sounds like the dealership would say it's rediculous right? Why is it any different with computers? Sure, PowerBooks be easier to dent than some PC laptops, but you aren't paying for 9 pounds of plastic 3 times the size of a PowerBook. For some of you, that's like trading your sports car for a nice big van or truck.

I'm not trying to offend anyone... I'm just trying to bring some of the sillyness to light. When you purchase something, you also take the inherit risk that something could happen to it. It's true of a car, house, radio, phone, dog, everything. Yes, there are possibly defects and problems with design, and that's what the warranties are for. I know my PowerBook is easier to dent and be blemished than my PCs... but I prefer that to the thick, heavy, ugliness. Yes, some of you would like the old Pismo design back... and some others want the old VW Bug design back... but it's just not going to happen.

Well, that's all, that's my two cents.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2004, 09:28 AM

Of those of you who have a blemish on your car, (yes, including those door dings from parking in parking lots) how many of you have gone back to the dealership and complained about how easy the car is to dent, how soft the metal (plastic/fiber glass) is, etc. And how many have asked that it be fixed completely free under the terms of the warranty?
No offense but I'm kind of tired of the car analogy, though I agree with your point. Car's have many differences when you compare them with computers. For this thread the main difference is that the car's hurtle down the road 70+ miles down the road - at least on hiways. Dirt, salt and rocks fly up and ding and dent the cars, not to mention driving into other cars. Computers very rairly go 70 miles an hour have rocks fly up at them and so far I haven't seen too many collisions

The point is valid, you bought a computer dent free, your own actions caused the dent. Does apple design computers to fragile, perhaps and as the consumer you have a number of ways to tell them that. So far I have not found too much discussion on the frailty of the PBs. I have heard the iBooks are much sturdier though. Do accident's happen unfortunitly yes even to the most careful, so I suppose insurance is the answer (safeway/safeware or something like that) offers the insurance.

Anyways I feel for the people who dropped theirs, and as they there by the grace of God I go, since I'm one stumble away from dropping my baby.

Mike
P.S.,
one of the other posters ask if I would drop my gf, if I had the choice of my gf or the pb, I catch the computer, I figure bones will heal computers won't

poolmouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:
While I have to agree with poolmouse that Timbuk2 and Waterfield Designs (sfbags.com) are a great combo and are incredibly products, I am disinclined to say the Timbuk2 is TOTALLY waterproof. The Timbuk2 is incredibly water resistant. One can ride in heavy rain and not have anything inside get wet. That is water resistant. Now dropping the aforementioned bag in a swimming pool is a test of whether something is totally waterproof. No one in their right mind would do that with a Timbuk2 bag.

Totally waterproof would have to go to Pelican cases. I would recommend the 1490cc#1. Load a Powerbook into that and toss it into a pool. No issues. Heck, use it as a flotation device. The case comes with an atmospheric purge valve. Why? Open the case up in a plane or in Denver. Close the case and arrive at sea level. Watch atmospheric pressure keep your case closed. With a new o ring, the thing is air tight.
"water proof" and "water resistant" are two terms used in the manufacturing business to describe how wet a specific material can get before water gets through. it also describes manufaturing methods...whether zippers are properly sealed, etc.

we're not talking about submersing a laptop case.

brenthaven cases are "water resistant"...leave a brenthaven bag in the pouring rain and water will eventually get in. this was confirmed in a call to brenthaven when i shopped around for a "water proof" case after having a "water resistant" case (kensington saddlebag) leak in a heavy rain.

timbuk2 cases have a thick rubber coating on the inside of the case and are designed so when you close them, there are no opennings where water can get in (unless you hold the bag upside down or sideways...common sense applies here). the bottom of timbuk2 cases are also made of very durable rubber to prevent wear.

the bottom line is that if you run around all day in the rain, snow, etc., you want a case that will protect your $3000 investment. brenthaven bags are nicely designed (aesthetically, craftsmanship, etc.) but are fundamentally flawed if you have any concerns about water damage.

timbuk2 cases are designed by former messengers who make a line of messenger bags, travel bags, etc. they ain't fancy but they're extremely functional, durable...and WATER PROOF. put a timbuk2 case out in the pouring rain for hours on end...your computer will not get wet.

try that with a "water resistant" case.

the next time a client asks me to recommend a laptop case for commuting via scuba diving, i'll keep the pelican case in mind. i know a few laptop users who would love to snorkel their way across the hudson river...maybe they'll be interested in a pelican case.

poolmouse

macxtal
Mar 18, 2004, 02:14 AM

You have a $3000 laptop, buy a damn hard case. I have a zero haliburton Z3 I purchased for my Tibook and Albook. It has fallen over many times, while the case is getting some "character", it's contents have never been damaged. The albook fits PERFECTLY in this case, as if it was designed for it. I cut out the top organizing piece and put velcro tabs on the power supply to hold it in place. Works like a charm.

The most spectacular was with my old Tibook.. I fell down half a flight of stairs (ow), notebook went flying - not a iota of damage.

msSwitch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2004, 06:46 PM

I'm overprotective of both my iPod and 15" AlBook. I keep my 30g iPod in a DLO Action Jacket Neoprene shock absorbing case. I've dropped it several times from various heights and it remained playing (thank goodness). As for my PB, that's kept cozy in a Victorinox Swiss Army suspension sleeve. The sleeve isn't as foamy as I would like, but the suspension capabilities are excellent. My PB sits on several cross straps that keep it suspended from from shock. The sleeve is made exclusively for the Victorinox Swiss Army backpacks and is attached by a wide velcro strap which further suspends the sleeve. So far, I haven't dropped it or banged it around much, but I feel confident that it's in good hands while traveling with Victorinox. I also have several Willow Design bags with excellent foam padding.
Love is a 15" AlBook 1.25 with Superdrive...

iBagwan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 02:04 PM

That is such a bummer. I've had a couple of different powerbooks through the years and there is nothing like the regret of a few seconds of distraction. Once I was swinging a power plug around to catch it so I could plug it in and it smacked my LCD leaving a nice nick. Everytime I turned it on after that, it was the first thing my eyes would go to.

Does anyone out there know if the Tom Bihn Monolith will fit in the Brenthaven Professional 17"?

Thanks all.....
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence
then, is not an act, but a habit....
Aristotle

jtift
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2004, 12:39 AM

I am devastated about the fragility of my aluminum 15" powerbook. I have only had it three months and have had several minor cosmetic dings and no idea how they got there. Returning home on a plane trip this week, I opened my case to turn on my computer only to find a blurred screen and noticed some damage on the corner of the machine. I don't know when it was damaged as I had it in the case and in my possession the whole time. When I brought it into Apple, they determined that the LCD was not functioning and they will not cover it under warranty. It is a $900 repair. It really seems to me that the aluminum that is used in the case is not durable enough for this machine. I think Apple needs to take a look at the design. It's such a great product, without much protection on the outside. Any ideas of how to get his covered?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2004, 11:15 AM

I still swear by "Safeware.com " insurance. for about $60/year you can rest assured. Covers theft and all damages not covered by Applecare. It only excludes manufacutoring defects!

filmmaker2002
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by meem:
Just curious, if the machine is working fine with the dent, can he go to the Apple store and ask them to do the apple hardware test on it right then and there. Have it documented in his apple care acount notes. And be satisfied that if something else happens it would be unrelated to the fall?
That's I would do...
It's just an ordinary day and it's all your
state of mind, at the end of the day, you
just gotta say it's alright!

Forum Links
Forum Rules