Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrading Powerbook Hard Drive Question

Upgrading Powerbook Hard Drive Question
billgriffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 07:17 AM

I have found an upgrade that I'd like to buy and watched the tutorial on how to replace old drive and install new one.

How do I get data off the existing drive onto the new one ?

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2006, 07:57 AM

What I did when my drive needed to be replaces was, but the old drive into an external closure and connect it to the PB. When you are installing OSX, you can migrate your old data to the new one. I would advise to get FW400, as it is faster than USB2.0 (or at least in my case).

Later on, when you are finished with the migration, you can just use your old drive as an external HDD. Always handy to have one around
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by azt33
What I did when my drive needed to be replaces was, but the old drive into an external closure and connect it to the PB. When you are installing OSX, you can migrate your old data to the new one. I would advise to get FW400, as it is faster than USB2.0 (or at least in my case).

Later on, when you are finished with the migration, you can just use your old drive as an external HDD. Always handy to have one around

If you buy external firewire case (about $9), put new drive in it and use carbon copy cloner to clone drive. Then swap drives and you have a emergency backup!

billgriffin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 09:29 AM

Okay Romeosc,

where do i find an external firewire case and where do i go within system to locate carbon copy cloner ( is that a stand alone app that I'll need to purchase ).

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 09:55 AM

You can find Carbon Copy Cloner for download at: Carbon Copy Cloner 2.3 - MacUpdate

I haven't seen $10 external enclosures, but wiebetech has nice options: External USB and FireWire Hard Drives and Enclosures - WiebeTech Storage Solutions - Home

You shouldn't actually need CCC if you just put new HD into your PD, put old HD into external enclosure, and install OS X from your disks onto the new HD now in your PB ... and tell it to copy settings, etc from the external drive during the installation process.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2006, 09:56 AM

Any computer store will sell firewire cases. You'll get lower prices online, though. If you think you'll require good Mac support I like both of these guys:

http://www.macsales.com
http://www.transintl.com

If you just want to save money and go as cheaply as possible (my choice) then I would recommend:

http://www.newegg.com/

As for cloning apps, you have three good choices:

1. Carbon Copy Cloner ($5 shareware, but works without registration)
2. Super Duper (Commercial software, but the demo does cloning for free) - very popular
3. Apple Disk Utility (included with your OS) - See the help file for "Restoring files from a disk or disk image"

Chris

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet
You shouldn't actually need CCC if you just put new HD into your PD, put old HD into external enclosure, and install OS X from your disks onto the new HD now in your PB ... and tell it to copy settings, etc from the external drive during the installation process.
Exactly right. This is how I would do it.

Chris

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by billgriffin
Okay Romeosc,

where do i find an external firewire case and where do i go within system to locate carbon copy cloner ( is that a stand alone app that I'll need to purchase ).

I bought an extwenal firewire case from Meritline:

ADS 2.5" USB2.0 / Fireiwre Combo Hard Drive Enclosure, Dual Link 2.5" HDD Case, DLX-188, USB 2.0 and Oxford 911 Firewire Connection, Turns a 2.5" Laptop Hard Drive into an External USB 2.0/FireWire Drive,Free Standard Shipping 27.99

Rebate of $19

found on Dealmac.com

Carbon Copy Cloner is free from here: http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules