Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > A Surgeon's Notebook

A Surgeon's Notebook
LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2006, 09:49 PM

Hey all-

I am a surgeon-in-training, and the idea of a "surgeon's notebook" has long been written about. Basically, its somewhere you write down the nuances of the different operations you perform as you learn them.

Being a heavy mac user, it seems that an electronic version would be much more productive, as I could back it up, attach PDFs of relevant literature, and most importantly, SEARCH the entries quickly when I want to go back and review. As most of the important info is technical stuff, technique, etc, sketches are routinely included in the 'journal entry'.

So the features I need:
- Multiple entries
- Searchable by text (spotlight) or fields (database-style) - either one is ok
- Need to able to easily associate PDFs of relevant journal articles - prefer to search those too
- Include images (scanned, web)
- Include sketches (via drawing tablet would be best)

Any thoughts? DevonThink comes to mind as a possibility, but I was curious if you all had any other ideas?

Thanks,

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2006, 10:39 PM

I've never used DevonThink — so maybe this is an "if the only tool you have is a hammer…"-type suggestion — but this sounds like a good use for a personal wiki like Instiki (Mac executable here).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 11:50 PM

I actually think Circus Ponies Notebook would do a very good job here.

DEVONthink would also do well. But DEVONthink is very document centric (i.e. every note is a separate document) while CP Notebook is very much like... a spiral bound notebook. It has indexes of everything you type (handy as heck) a TOC, all that good stuff.

rjt1000
Senior User
Dec 2, 2006, 11:50 PM

Have you considered FileMaker Pro ?

LeeG  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2006, 12:36 AM

I had considered FilemakerPro, and its on the list still - but I was wondering if something else less 'industrial' and more 'iLife-ish' was out there. I have used filemaker a lot, and technically it seems it is the best solution, however, I REALLY liked the circus ponies suggestion - I was not familiar with that software and it looks great.

thanks - and keep the suggestions coming-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb

philc
Dec 3, 2006, 12:41 AM

I've recently fallen in love with a piece of software that totally fits your description.

Journler by Phil Dow: http://journler.com/
Free for personal use, $25/user commercial.

Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
I had considered FilemakerPro, and its on the list still - but I was wondering if something else less 'industrial' and more 'iLife-ish' was out there. I have used filemaker a lot, and technically it seems it is the best solution, however, I REALLY liked the circus ponies suggestion - I was not familiar with that software and it looks great.

thanks - and keep the suggestions coming-

Lee

LeeG  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2006, 12:48 AM

WOW.

Journler is really amazing - and the price is right! I plan to download tomorrow (at work tonight), and try to put it into use. If it works as well as it seems it will, I plan to donate.

Really nice find. Between that and circus ponies, you guys are coming up BIG. Keep 'em comin' !!!

Thanks,

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb

midwinter
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 01:08 AM

Why not MacJournal?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 06:19 AM

Yojimbo?

LeeG  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2006, 12:12 PM

Yojimbo looks nice too - so far Journler seems to look the best - I just got home from work, I will download and play....

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb

LeeG  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2006, 12:15 PM

Anyone know if I can use a graphics tablet and directly import sketches into any of these programs? I have never used a tablet before, but since I will definitely need to catalog surgical sketches, it would be nice to input directly to the app.

If not, how does it work? Do I draw my sketch in an app that comes with the tablet, and then import the graphic file into the organizer?

Thanks,

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb

philc
Dec 3, 2006, 12:28 PM

I cannot speak from experience as I've never used a tablet but almost any of these tools will support drag/drop of image from any other application/file system.

Between MacJournal/Yojimbo/Journler/Other it is really just a personal preference they all do more than most people could ever need. Maybe you should conduct a small trial and see if any of them interact any better with your tablet hardware/file output.

Good luck

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
Anyone know if I can use a graphics tablet and directly import sketches into any of these programs? I have never used a tablet before, but since I will definitely need to catalog surgical sketches, it would be nice to input directly to the app.

If not, how does it work? Do I draw my sketch in an app that comes with the tablet, and then import the graphic file into the organizer?

Thanks,

L
I think with a tablet you can draw directly on a CP Notebook page, using Inkwell. You have to have the tablet plugged in for any of this functionality to even be evident.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 03:33 PM

Products- IceCad- USB Mini Graphics Tablet and Pen

This isn't a Journal program, but it is a small, portable tablet I thought might be useful for you. It's designed to be used with a laptop and take it with you, so you can do quick sketches on the go.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2006, 03:43 PM

May I ask a quick question ? I'm looking for a similar app but it needs to exist in a Mac and windows version. Windows for on my X-series ThinkPad and Mac for on my iMac at home.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2006, 06:06 PM

While I was a trainee I wrote a logbook which did most of these things in FileMaker Pro. I already had some experience in FMP and since I started this logbook it has gradually been tweaked quite a few times. I even got the developer version so I could let some of my mates use it too. It was very ENT specific though. It has pull downs for ENT procedures. Very easy to do with a little practice in FMP.

The good thing about this is that I can now write scripts to look at my outcomes (e.g. results of post-surgery hearing, complications). I think the only way you can get a tool which does this all for you is to do it yourself (or maybe pay through the nose).

LeeG  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2006, 10:01 AM

The more I think about it, I agree - FMP will prob be best - then I can tweak it as I like- anyone know if I can input with inkwell direct in to FMP??

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb

jmgriff
Dec 10, 2006, 01:03 PM

I'd suggest VoodooPad. It supports most of what you want, including sketching.

drmac88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 05:40 PM

Yeah, go FileMaker, then it can grow with you.

The software will only be limited to what you design it to do.

Also, it's cross platform (just incase you're forced to run it on something else).

Good luck
Vast Blue http://www.vastblue.co.uk
FileMaker Pro Development in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Scotland, UK

FMP News http://www.fmpnews.com
FileMaker Pro News for the developer community

Forum Links
Forum Rules