Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > video conversion for iPod - Mac and PC tools?

video conversion for iPod - Mac and PC tools?
kentuckyfried
Senior User
Nov 16, 2009, 10:29 PM

For video conversion, I used to use FFMPEG, but I ended up switching over to iSquint, which worked great. iSquint doesn't involve as much finagling with the options in FFMPEG, saving the frustration of converting a file for over 40 minutes and then finding out it doesn't work b/c of some thing I forgot to toggle (plus FFMPEG, the last time I checked, couldn't do batch conversions b/c of a bug).

It seems that the company has now been closed. =(

a) What mac tools would you recommend for the conversion of avi, wmv, and divx files into a mp4 format that works with the iPod touch/iPhone?

THE MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION:

b) What about the PC side of things? My friend kept borrowing my PSP, and then I asked him, "why don't you use your iphone" to which he replied, "I don't know how to convert files on a PC"

I've never done it on a PC, since the computers at work all require applying to get admin access right now, so most of the freeware won't install. It's too bad VLC doesn't have this function built-in, since that's the one thing I can install without having to get an admin to step in.

Your answers are much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Cold Warrior
Nov 16, 2009, 10:35 PM

handbrake runs on Windows and OS X. I use it on OS X.

It has had some problems on Snow Leopard, but depending on what you do, it may be stable enough. They are putting out "nightlies" on a regular basis to work through these issues.

kentuckyfried  (op)
Senior User
Nov 16, 2009, 10:38 PM

Thanks, I just noticed the handbrake URL on the iSquint download page too. I'm excited to go home and give that a whirl.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2009, 04:22 AM

So far iSquint and Handbrake have served me well for all my iPod and iPhone rips. iSquint is simpler/faster, but Handbrake offers more options and IMHO is better suited for large screens (iPod touch, iPhone).

Forum Links
Forum Rules