Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 4 (Official Thread)

iPhone 4 (Official Thread) (Page 9)
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2010, 04:24 PM

(I got mine anyway)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16 View Post
my G5 iMac […] cannot support 10.5
wot?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Rubber band works - I now get no signal loss when gripping with my left hand. But yeah, that's probably due to software…

I'll probably try gaffers tape when I get home - like duct tape but it won't leave a residue when I take it off.
Thanks for trying the rubber band! Gaffer's tape is probably the way to go, if you don't want a case.

There's been some speculation that certain parts didn't get the proper coating, but we'll probably never find out...

jvr2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2010, 05:15 PM

How scratch resistant does the iPhone 4 seem to those who have it? Guy above said he threw his in a case immediately but for those who are walking around naked hows it go so far? I'm one of those people who hates cases...I always used the clear plastic case that Apple sells(i even hated using that) that basically doesn't add any size to the phone and protects the back but not the chrome bezel which is really scratched up on my phone.

I'm assuming the chrome scratches just as easy but how is the back?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2010, 06:30 PM

There's no chrome on the new one. The metal band is a matte type finish, it doesn't have a chrome coating, which is nice.

I also do not prefer a case on my iPhone. I have been using mine for a couple days, naked (the phone, not me) - and so far so good. But I'm pretty careful with it so far. I've been reading people having scratches on the back and front with normal use, not abuse.

Only time will tell. Have to use it for a while to see how rugged it really is. I do not look forward to the first time I drop this. <shiver>

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2010, 06:34 PM

As far as the solutions for the reception thing goes, I smell an opportunity for some accessory vendors to make a killing on selling a really low profile strip that goes around the metal band that solves this issue. I don't want the Bumper, its too thick. I want something that acts like tape, which adds virtually no bulk to the iPhone. And I want it to be removable without any residue.

Who's gonna be first?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jvr2
for those who are walking around naked hows it go so far?
Originally Posted by ::maroma::
I have been using mine for a couple days, naked (the phone, not me) - and so far so good.
So you’re not really the right person to answer the question, then.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
As far as the solutions for the reception thing goes, I smell an opportunity for some accessory vendors to make a killing on selling a really low profile strip that goes around the metal band that solves this issue.
I say use a clear plastic screen protector type material, it should be non- conductive and you can still see the stainless steel band to preserve the look. Also there are enamel and PVC clear coat materials out there, just brush on once and it should last forever. Ceramic clear is the best but it's like $200 liter. You would only need it on the volume button part or the lower antenna part. not bad huh?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 07:18 PM

if you paint it with some clear-coat, would that void the warranty?

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
if you paint it with some clear-coat, would that void the warranty?
I think so, but I was just throwing that out there. A removable non-conductive plastic strip would be the answer.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 09:30 PM

In any case, the antenna problem can be cured with a wide rubber band, gaffer's tape, etc., all of which is cheaper than a case.

On top of that, many people will be putting a case on their iPhone 4, because of the glass front and back.

IOW, the iPhone 4 is at present totally usable with some very simple and appropriate solutions. Somewhere down the road, Apple will be forced to acknowledge that the interference with the antenna is indeed a problem that they are required to fix. At that point, you'll be able to return your iPhone 4 to Apple for a replacement.

If any of the above is not for you, if you don't want a case, then you should return your iPhone 4 to wherever you bought it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 09:37 PM

Because I totally want a rubber band on my brand new Apple gadget.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2010, 09:38 PM

^^^ Decidedly un-Apple type solutions. Rubber band, really?

EDIT:

Big Mac beat me to it, so I'll add a pic.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 09:49 PM

AppleInsider is reporting that Apple is rushing to get a 4.01 release out the door to fix the issue.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 09:59 PM

Hey, there's low-tech and high-tech, then there's rubber band tech! Plus, duct tape has a long and honorable tradition. When in doubt, ask yourself what the muppets would do!

The only problem is that Apple sold you the iPhone 4 without the rubber band. Had Apple included a nifty colored rubber band in the box along with instructions on how to accessorize your new glitzy phone with additional colored rubber bands, everyone would have been honored and enthusiastic at the totally ingenious solution!

On another brain storm:
Thinking back to Jobs' keynote, when he was on wifi and couldn't make the internet connection, I'm wondering whether there's a similar interference problem with a hand or finger position on the wifi antenna? Wasn't Jobs holding the phone in his left hand and tapping the screen with his right hand? Yes, the explanation was the crowded airwaves, but does anyone think that Apple didn't have their own password protected WAP right up next to Jobs on the stage?

Let the testing begin!

And if there is a similar point that interferes with wifi reception, then the moral of the story is that Jobs should've had a rubber band!
( Last edited by amazing; Jun 25, 2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: playing for laughs)

jvr2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2010, 10:30 PM

What I found interesting about the keynote was that when the iPhone 4 couldn't connect and load the nytimes website Jobs blamed it on too many mifi connections and such...but no one mentioned that the iPhone 3GS in the same demo right there loaded the page fine in the same room on the screen! Right next to the iPhone 4 that couldn't connect lol..it was slow for wifi but it loaded. I didn't see that mentioned anywhere I don't think but it might have been.

Thanks for the clarification on the bezel, happy to hear its not as scratch prone as the 3GS. Maybe if they make another version of the clear simple plastic case that might be an option for me for the iPhone 4 if i get it. It can protect the back and I wont have to worry about the sides as much. But any case made would probably cover the whole sides since this new iteration isn't curved anymore.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2010, 02:06 AM

Get a grip people.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 26, 2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Get a grip people.
It's like the switch to intel all over again.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2010, 09:48 AM

The problem is how dramatic the antenna drop-off is in the iPhone 4--all phones have a drop-off when the antenna is covered, but this is a steep decline...

Naturally, for phone calls, many people use a headset, either wired or bluetooth, where the phone will be sitting unobstructed somewhere else (pocket, dash, table.) Works fine in this scenario.

The huge problem is when surfing the internet--at that point you're holding the phone in your left hand and swiping and tapping the phone. IOW you're obstructing the antenna whereby the throughput is declining (speed tests show the decline in throughput). For comfort and ease of use, and so as not to destroy your wrist, the phone rests in your palm with the thumb obstructing the antenna. There's really no other comfortable way to hold the phone without straining your wrist or your fingers.

The keynote shows SJ holding it in just this fashion. Which is why I was wondering whether that segment failed because the antenna was obstructed?

Besides, if the problem can be fixed with a rubber band, is it good design?

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2010, 05:36 PM

All this death grip nonsense is taking the focus off of AT&T's crappy network.
Chances are if you don't lose your call from the death grip, AT&T is waiting in the wings to drop your call.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2010, 06:07 PM

Steve Jobs himself has said that the iPhone's reception issues aren't 100% AT&T....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
sig.
Oh, Eden, I just noticed your sig.

It's been a while that I had a fanboi on the forums.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69 View Post
Get a grip people.
I think the problem may be that too many people are getting *too* good of a grip.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2010, 07:24 PM

Wouldn't a simple non-conductive coating on the antenna(s) solve the problem?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2010, 07:58 PM

Here you go: while you're doing your nails, just whip out your iPhone 4 and do it to:

iPhone 4 users turn to nail polish to fix £499 gadget | Technology | The Guardian

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2010, 08:11 PM

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2010, 08:18 PM

Here you go: while you're doing your nails, just whip out your iPhone 4 and do it to:

iPhone 4 users turn to nail polish to fix £499 gadget | Technology | The Guardian
That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. I can't believe Apple engineers didn't think about the antennas shorting out when touched.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2010, 08:39 PM

there is some question in some articles whether some parts (ha! antennas!) weren't coated properly.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2010, 08:47 PM

there is some question in some articles whether some parts (ha! antennas!) weren't coated properly.
That would fit with the instances of volume buttons in the wrong order and the yellow spots. Poor manufacturing QA. Unfortunately, these instances are making me wonder what else slipped through the cracks. I think I'm gonna wait a while before picking up an iPhone4.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2010, 08:51 PM

Yep, waiting a couple of months might be the best way to preserve to sanity!

One other article thought that apple was the victim of its own secrecy: since all the field testing models were disguised in plastic cases, the fault with the antenna was never spotted. (Sorry, didn't bookmark the article.)

Definitely makes sense! If Steve had been using one of the camouflaged iPhone 4s on stage, I think wifi would've worked properly...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2010, 08:54 PM

One other article thought that apple was the victim of its own secrecy: since all the field testing models were disguised in plastic cases, the fault with the antenna was never spotted. (Sorry, didn't bookmark the article.)
I was thinking that as well.

Hodog16
Jun 26, 2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
wot?
My iMac from 2005 still has the PowerPC processor and can't run OS X 10.5 or higher, which is necessary to sync with the new iPhone. Had the same issue with the iPad.

It was the Mac I used to sync my previous 1st gen iphone which had all my apps and music on it, so I had to transfer those things to my Macbook to sync my new devices.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2010, 09:37 PM

My iMac from 2005 still has the PowerPC processor and can't run OS X 10.5 or higher, which is necessary to sync with the new iPhone. Had the same issue with the iPad.
Huh ? Why not ?

Your iMac is at minimum the 1st Gen iMac (introduced in 2004), and should have these minimum specs:

iMac G5
The first generation iMac G5 was introduced in August 2004. Distinguishing features include:

A 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5 processor with a 17-inch screen, or a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 processor with a 17- or 20-inch screen.
Airport and Bluetooth are optional - if you have Airport and Bluetooth, you ordered them as a CTO extra when you bought the computer.
Comes with an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra video card.
How to identify your iMac

OS X 10.5 requires much less than that:
Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard requires:

A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
512 MB memory or more
A DVD drive for installation
9 GB of available disk space or more
Requirements for Mac OS X v10.5

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2010, 09:54 PM

You really don't want to put Leopard on a first gen G5. It's a slow as all get out on mine, even with max RAM.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2010, 10:00 PM

Yeah. While I'm bummed Apple nuked 10.4 support from most of their products, I suppose it's old enough I really can't complain. I've got my iTunes/iPhoto/iMovie libraries on an external drive, so thankfully all I have to do is link the HD up to one of the newer computers and I'll be good to go.

Ideally I'd like to use NAS to host the libraries but I'm not sure my turd of a router could handle it.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2010, 10:17 PM

It was the Mac I used to sync my previous 1st gen iphone which had all my apps and music on it, so I had to transfer those things to my Macbook to sync my new devices.
The irony is that a Windows PC made in 2001 would have no problems syncing with the latest iPhone (though, iTunes would be painfully slow). It's always amazed me how Apple uses their hottest products to force upsells in their computers. This is one of the things that keeps me from ever going 100% Apple.

Hodog16
Jun 27, 2010, 01:18 AM

Hmm. Maybe it was a self-imposed limit of upgrading instead of an Apple-imposed limit, but regardless my iMac (it's a rev B pre-camera) is still running 10.4.x. It's basically only used to store my music and sync to the ipods as it is getting to be on the slower side.

Back to the 4, I decided to cancel my order for the Marware case as it was still on backorder. I'm happy so far with the red/black ifrogz case from Bestbuy. Probably going to get a screen for the front at some point.

On another side note, just started playing Hector: Badge of Carnage today. Hilarious if you don't mind some sophomoric humor.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2010, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
The irony is that a Windows PC made in 2001 would have no problems syncing with the latest iPhone (though, iTunes would be painfully slow). It's always amazed me how Apple uses their hottest products to force upsells in their computers. This is one of the things that keeps me from ever going 100% Apple.
Unbelievable... My niece has my old iMac G4 running Leopard just fine & can sync her 3Gs iPhone just fine, I'm running Leopard on a iMac G5 last gen with heavy mod theme to system & all is fine & dandy our iTunes & Macs after all these years I haven't come across a crippling problem except the one of upgrading the OS to support the new iPods on the G4.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You really don't want to put Leopard on a first gen G5. It's a slow as all get out on mine, even with max RAM.
I had a 2003 1Ghz 17 PowerBook G4 and it ran fine. I needed to max out my RAM to 2 GB and was running 10.5.8. It should run decent on a G5

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2010, 02:52 PM

I'm running Leopard on a 1.8 GHz iMac G5, and it ran just fine once I upgraded the RAM.

I've also got it running on a 1.25 GHz Mac mini with 1GB RaM, and that's a real slouch. (But it's just a music and file server sitting in the closet, so I don't mind).

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2010, 10:07 PM

My iMac G5 felt faster after I installed Leopard (upgrade, too, not Archive and Install). Even if that was just a placebo effect, it certainly didn’t get dragged down. And that was the second iteration G5, so it certainly wasn’t tons more powerful than an original.

Cold Warrior
Jun 28, 2010, 10:55 AM

The retina display is so sharp it makes non-updated icons look like garbage. Here's a screen cap with a mix of updated and not. The difference should be apparent:

-Q-
Jun 28, 2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The retina display is so sharp it makes non-updated icons look like garbage. Here's a screen cap with a mix of updated and not. The difference should be apparent:
That's the one thing that keeps me taken aback, especially when I open up something text-oriented. That screen is absolutely gorgeous.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2010, 02:37 PM

My sister got a new iPhone 4 last week but she can't sync it to her 1st gen Mac mini (1.25ghz with 1GB of RAM). I upgraded the OS from 10.4 to 10.5.8 and installed the latest iTunes update. When she plugs in the iPhone, iPhoto automatically launches and shows the pictures stored on the phone. iTunes won't launch. I have to launch it manually. Once iTunes is open, the phone won't show up under Devices. Any idea on how to fix this?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 02:51 PM

Is it hooked up directly or through a hub (or keyboard)?

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2010, 04:31 PM

The iPhone 4 will only sync with an Intel Mac. If your Mac Mini is PowerPC, it will not work. Look at the requirements for iPhone 4.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2010, 04:40 PM

Hmmmm seems Nokia phone have the same iPhone 4 issue when held YouTube - Nokia E71 Reception Problems

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by anthology123 View Post
The iPhone 4 will only sync with an Intel Mac. If your Mac Mini is PowerPC, it will not work. Look at the requirements for iPhone 4.
There is no intel requirement.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by anthology123 View Post
Mac system requirements

Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later
iTunes 9.2 or later (free download from Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now)
iTunes Store account
Internet access

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
I had a 2003 1Ghz 17 PowerBook G4 and it ran fine. I needed to max out my RAM to 2 GB and was running 10.5.8. It should run decent on a G5
Leopard runs fine on my 867MHz G4, but every rev A G5 I've run it on seems terrible (and not worth the increase in noise).

Forum Links
Forum Rules