Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Alternative OS Reference > The Official Boot Camp ExperiencesThread

The Official Boot Camp ExperiencesThread (Page 2)
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by JLL
The graphics in the boot screen is in the firmware - it has nothing to do with the icons in Mac OS X.
It obviously does, because I changed the desktop icon for my Macintosh partition to a Tiger install disc, and that icon shows up in the bootloader.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 06:59 AM

Just some XP benchmarks for ya'll using Cinebench 9:

CINEBENCH 9.5

Tester :

Processor : iMac Core Duo
MHz : 1.83 ghz
Number of CPUs : 2
Operating System : Windows XP SP2

Graphics Card :
Resolution : <fill this out>
Color Depth : <fill this out>

Rendering (Single CPU): 269 CB-CPU
Rendering (Multiple CPU): 492 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.83

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 320 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 1296 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 2595 CB-GFX

OpenGL Speedup: 8.10

iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2006, 09:31 AM

Just to share my experiences. I had a few problems along the way - first Boot Camp assistant wouldn't partition my drive as it had errors - worked fine once I repaired it by booting to my OS X DVD and running disk utility. Then I had to hard reboot the mbp twice during the XP install, once when it failed to load keyboard drivers, then when it failed to load the screen drivers, but in the end we got there.

(Apologies for the sound hiccup in that clip by the way.)

Now I just have to test it out using something a bit more demanding. Will pop down to the newsagents and see if I can pick up PC Gamer or something with demos on the CD. First time in years!

edit - question, the XP partition shows up as a read-only second drive on the OSX desktop. Does anyone know how to rename it? (I assume this can only be done in XP which I don't know my way around.) Hiding it would be another option.
( Last edited by mintcake; Apr 7, 2006 at 10:13 AM. )

OreoCookie
Apr 7, 2006, 09:42 AM

I've changed the thread title slightly and made this thread a sticky. Please use this thread for general discussion. If you have specific problems with Boot Camp, you may still post new threads. Otherwise, post your comments and observations here.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
It obviously does, because I changed the desktop icon for my Macintosh partition to a Tiger install disc, and that icon shows up in the bootloader.
Sorry, I read it too fast.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
My apple bt keyboard works fine. During the install I used a usb keyboard and mouse but after the drivers were installed I paired my bt keyboard and I'm off like a heard of turtles. Of course it only works for one environment. XP or OSX.
So that means I'd have to re-pair the bluetooth keyboard and mouse every time I dual boot? Also if that means having to borrow a USB keyboard from your roommate every time you wanna do this then its probably best to put a bluetooth shortcut on the WinXP desktop or something right?

I'm sure someone will develop software that synchronizing the bluetooth passkey between the OSX and WinXP installs.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 12:44 PM

Just some XP benchmarks for ya'll using Cinebench 9:

CINEBENCH 9.5

Tester :

Processor : iMac Core Duo
MHz : 1.83 ghz
Number of CPUs : 2
Operating System : Windows XP SP2

Graphics Card :
Resolution : <fill this out>
Color Depth : <fill this out>

Rendering (Single CPU): 269 CB-CPU
Rendering (Multiple CPU): 492 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.83

Shading (CINEMA 4D) : 320 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Software Lighting) : 1296 CB-GFX
Shading (OpenGL Hardware Lighting) : 2595 CB-GFX

OpenGL Speedup: 8.10

Just tried this on my 17" Core Duo with 1.83 Ghz.

CPU benchmark

1 CPU: 283
2 CPU: 520

Multiprocessor Speedup: 1.84 x

Graphics Benchmark

C4D shading: 327
OpenGL SW-L: 893
OpenGL HW-L: 1566

OpenGL speedup: 4.79 x
Interesting.

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 7, 2006, 03:56 PM

Can someone tell me if it's possible to run PC apps from the OS X partition? I want to keep the PC partition as small as possible & just keep the OS on there.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2006, 04:02 PM

Looking good on a MacBook Pro (20GB partition). XP just went through its 38 or so security updates

Can't find the answer to this question: is there any way to right-click other than using an external mouse? It would have been nice if Apple had written a specific driver to deal with the single button trackpad.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by z0ne81
Can someone tell me if it's possible to run PC apps from the OS X partition? I want to keep the PC partition as small as possible & just keep the OS on there.
I don't think this is possible. First of all, without installing something like MacDrive, Windows can't even read the OS X partition at all. And even with it installed, I kind of doubt that Windows is going to allow you to install things on a Mac-formatted disk, although I haven't tried it.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2006, 05:00 PM

I am guessing with macdrive, it should work, it is pretty much seamless with macdrive, good thing to try when I get home.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

thanatos
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2006, 06:15 PM

Posted this before but here it is again:

I tried this on my macbook pro 2.16 after updating the firmware as instructed. Initially it said that I couldn't install because the target volume couldn't be verified. I restarted in SU mode, did fsck and the disk was repaired. I tried again and it worked fine. I selected that I wanted to go back to the Mac OS and install Windows later. It kernal paniced when I clicked 'restart' and failed to get past the grey apple & spinner after a force restart.

I tired to repair the disk with fsck and with the installer CD, but it gave me the error: 'invalid extent entry'. I also saw 'xxxxx is not linked to a kernal' errors popping up all over the place in SU mode. I could browse the Mac OS partition in SU mode but I couldn't mount it using disk utility or boot from it.

I tried reformatting the new windows partition so that I could install OS X on it and boot to the Mac OS to recover my lost data but it failed during installation

In the end I had to reformat completely. The OS X partition was destroyed
The same just hapened to me! I can still access my files in target mode from my stationary G5 so maybe I can salvage them and do a clean install on Monday at work (no install disks at home).

When I was dragging the slider to choose partition size, the GB numbers didn't change. I should have understand that something was wrong!

Be careful people. When Apple says backup your data they are not kidding!

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2006, 06:25 PM

No kidding. Thanks, guys, for posting your experiences and giving us who haven't installed Boot Camp yet a head's up.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by thanatos
Be careful people. When Apple says backup your data they are not kidding!
Good advice. I was actually more worried about installing 10.4.6 and the firmware update than Boot Camp and XP, since it seems to be using some different voodoo from previous updates. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make a full bootable backup of my hard disk before starting. I didn't encounter any problems though.

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 7, 2006, 06:46 PM

I got a PM for another user who had the same problem as me and thanatos.
Just be careful everyone!

I was fiddling around in the Mac OS while the partitioning was taking place so maybe that caused the mixup. I will try again this evening and have backed up everything again in preparation.

Wish me luck!
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

thanatos
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2006, 07:06 PM

I got a PM for another user who had the same problem as me and thanatos.
Just be careful everyone!

I was fiddling around in the Mac OS while the partitioning was taking place so maybe that caused the mixup. I will try again this evening and have backed up everything again in preparation.

Wish me luck!

I forgot I had a torrent downloading while partitioning.
Maybe that caused the problem for me.

Good luck with your second try...

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2006, 07:23 PM

Well, it took quite a bit of fiddling, but I finally got my multi-display setup to work on the iMac. As I said above, the secondary display (whether it was set to be my Cinema Display or the iMac's internal display) would always be rotated 90 degrees. I can't say for sure how I fixed the problem, but by repeatedly switching the primary and secondly displays and changing the resolutions I eventually hit on a combination that worked. I can't be sure if this is a windows issue or something related to using it on the Mac (knowing what I do about Windows, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just Windows' general crappyness that caused the problem).
( Last edited by icruise; Apr 7, 2006 at 07:30 PM. )

tpxstyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 12:53 AM

I installed xp home sp2 to my MBP 2.0GHZ and up to this point everything has been working smoothly.

however, for some reason, the backlight of the lcd won't turn off?? i have it set to turn off after 15 min but for some reason it doesnt. can anyone please help??

tpxstyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 12:58 AM

I installed xp home sp2 to my MBP 2.0GHZ and up to this point everything has been working smoothly.

however, for some reason, the backlight of the lcd won't turn off?? i have it set to turn off after 15 min but for some reason it doesnt. can anyone please help??

24klogos
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by tomrock
My wife put this on her Macbook Pro and it works great. I'm calling it her Wacintosh. I haven't decided if that means Windows Macintosh or Wacky Macintosh :-)
what?
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2006, 07:22 PM

Reading this thread makes me think Microsoft wrote BootCamp...look at all the business they're getting. All the Apple fans are raving about how good Windows XP is running and how it opened up a "whole new world of possibilities." Makes me wonder...

I too will be installing Windows when I buy a Apple's Intel-based tower. I need it to use some work-related software but I hope to stay on the Mac side 99% of the time.

cgc
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by tpxstyle

XP doesn't have a driver for the backlighting.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2006, 08:37 PM

I had some trouble when trying to install boot camp. It kept telling me to run disk utility because I needed a single partition with journaling. Something to that effect.

I ran repair permissions, booted off the DVD and ran Disk Util on it. It found two errors and corrected them. But I still had the same problem. Reloaded the 10.4.6 update - still same problem.

Blew away my partition and did a new install. Boot Camp seems to work so far. I cancelled the install after I made my drivers CD. Wanted to read up more as I'm on a MBP with a 100GB drive and space is a premium. :-)

One thing I read above was the USB Modem is not supported. Well that kinda sucks. The main reason I want to be able to run XP is so I can do my Quickbooks/Versa checks and my VPN to work. Sometimes I'm on the road and need to dial in. :-(

Oh well, maybe they will release some updates soon. Right now I'm back to re-loading all my OS X applications. World of Warcraft takes way too much time.

On another note - this could be evolutionary for Microsoft. Think about it. Apple doesn't usually build a dozen+ flavors of its hardware (at least not that I'm aware of.) By keeping the hardware very standardized, it might actually make Windows XP (Vista) a very stable OS.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

inkhead
Senior User
Apr 9, 2006, 10:36 PM

10.5 will bring on full virtualization of any OS, this is just a preview of what 10.5 will bring. You will see "fast user switching" between multiple OSes in Apple's next version of OS X.

andynotts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2006, 04:28 AM

I've got XP installed on my 20" iMac, fastest I've ever seen Windows run. I used a Dell install disk since it's still just an XP install disk since I don't own XP I haven't activated it therefore not breaking any license laws before anyone wonders. I needed to run a disk repair on my HDD but the rest of the install was smooth.

Apple BT keyboard works without any problems, I use a Logitech mouse not the standard Apple 1 but they both worked without any problems.

The biggest problem I now have though is that it's still Windows and I have no use for it. I installed it out of curiosity and now it'll never be used again.

Peabo
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 07:44 AM

Well after that initial nightmare, I got it working on the 2nd try.
I guess the advice I can give it not to touch your computer at all during the partitioning.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead
10.5 will bring on full virtualization of any OS, this is just a preview of what 10.5 will bring. You will see "fast user switching" between multiple OSes in Apple's next version of OS X.
We have a new Nostradamus!

RepeRuutikallo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2006, 09:20 AM

If you need MacDrive, don't install Alcohol 120%. It will cripple MacDrive!

macnn2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 07:37 AM

When I originally bought my iMac I set up multiple partitions. I keep my User folder on a separate partition and I left an empty partition for Windows in hope that somebody would figure out how to install it. Unfortunately BootCamp tells me that my startup disk needs to be in a single partion. Can anybody think of a way around this? I really hate to reformat and reinstall everything.

andynotts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2006, 07:43 AM

I spoke too soon. I spent so little time in Windows I didn't even notice the BT keyboard wasn't paired.
Decided to try and put XP on the internet wirelessly after installing AV software but just ran into problems getting an IP address. Might try again later but really not seeing the point other than technical curiosity. By the sounds of it Parallelism might be a better solution since I don't have the mucking about with rebooting, and I can actually do something useful while I fix Windows.

cylack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2006, 12:49 AM

If you have Windows XP, but not the SP 2 original, it is very easy to slipstream, i.e., incorporate SP2 into your original version of Windows. You need to be using a computer that already has windows xp running to do this. Just download the freeware program called nlite and its a very easy walk through. Go to http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html to get it.

Also, I've heard that you can use a Windows XP upgrade disk to do the boot camp procedure if you have an external usb cd or dvd drive with your old copy of windows (95, 98, nt, etc.) in it.

OreoCookie
Apr 12, 2006, 09:56 AM

Now that we have a forum for alternative operating systems and such, I will move this thread there. Please post all future threads about Boot Camp in that Alternative OS forum.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

macitech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2006, 11:07 AM

Are you all using bootcamp beta or retail version ? how long does the beta version last for ?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 12, 2006, 11:35 AM

A note on "legal" XP installations is in order. OEM INSTALLATION OR RESTORE DISCS ARE GENERALLY LIMITED TO INSTALLATION/RESTORAL ON THE OEM HARDWARE. It's in the user agreement. If you buy an XP disc that does not come with a "certificate of authenticity" from Microsoft, then it's considered illegal. Period. The only way such discs are legal is if they stay linked to the certificate-and thus the license.

At school I can buy a full copy of XP-Pro for less than $30 through the school's "Campus Level Agreement." Some employers have similar agreements allowing employees to purchase legitimate copies of the OS at reduced prices. Read the user agreement that comes with these carefully; they usually revoke the license on the termination of the user's relationship with the source (leave the school or company).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Q80
Are you all using bootcamp beta or retail version ? how long does the beta version last for ?
The bootcamp sotware is beta. End of. There is no retail version. It has not been advertised how long the beta will last for, however in the documentation Apple states it is Beta software to use for a limited time. At a guess, the software may expire when 10.5 is released.

macitech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2006, 12:06 PM

The reason i ask is beacuse i found a downloadble version on cnet.com thats rought 98 mb and another one on a website that is 770mb and figured they were bootlegging the retail

aeaglex7
Apr 12, 2006, 12:45 PM

I apologize if I'm in the wrong thread however, I've been running into a problem with the installation of Boot Camp on a MBP 2.16 and am seeking some advice. After updating the Firmware and installing the Boot Camp software everything proceeds according to the installation and setup guide until I get to the "blue" "Windows XP Professional Setup" screen. At this point I'm requested to hit enter if I want to set up Windows XP. The problem is that my keyboard and mouse are completely non-responsive and I can't figure out how to make the proper selection. I've tried a windows USB mouse and an Apple USB keyboard, both to no avail. Is there something I've missed? I've rerun the intallation half a dozen times all to the same result. I would appreciate any advice or assistance. John

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2006, 03:46 PM

Is there any confirmed way to edit the size of the Windows partition as reported by MacWorld?

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/04...camp/index.php

"Changing the size of the partition later, or removing it altogether, is also supported directly within the Boot Camp Assistant."

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2006, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
At school I can buy a full copy of XP-Pro for less than $30 through the school's "Campus Level Agreement." Some employers have similar agreements allowing employees to purchase legitimate copies of the OS at reduced prices.
We have this agreement at the college where I work, but they are only upgrade CDs. Full Windows XP Pro SP2, but you need to have a previous Windows CD to make these work. Is that the same for your agreement?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2006, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt
We have this agreement at the college where I work, but they are only upgrade CDs. Full Windows XP Pro SP2, but you need to have a previous Windows CD to make these work. Is that the same for your agreement?
At my school they are full versions, not upgrades or otherwise limited.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 19, 2006, 08:59 AM

Different schools have different agreements with Microsoft. At one time the University of Texas system had a sweet deal: ALL offered software was $5 per CD. All of it. Visual Studio for $35, Office (both flavors) for $10, and of course the dreaded Windows OS for $5. Gotta love it! Now it's different, but still pretty sweet: XP costs either $25 or $28 (can't recall at the moment), Office is still less than $35. They don't offer Visual Studio here at UTSA, but next month I move up to the UT Health Science Center at San Antonio (that's a mouthful!) and they DO.

Get with your school's ombudsman on this "upgrade only" issue. With the increasing number of PCs being sold with Linux, schools and MS need to understand that at least some students need more than an upgrade. (MS should be happy to accomodate; they get more customers that way.)

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2006, 10:36 PM

We don't have an ombudsman, and if we did, it would work for me since I'm faculty. The agreement seems pretty sucky in light of what y'all are saying, and any one looking to their school for a copy of windows should check ahead of time.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 20, 2006, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by AC Rempt
We don't have an ombudsman, and if we did, it would work for me since I'm faculty. The agreement seems pretty sucky in light of what y'all are saying, and any one looking to their school for a copy of windows should check ahead of time.
That indeed bites. You could ask someone (not a work-study student!) in the IT department about this issue. Tell 'em you got a PC with "Linspire" (a Linux distribution that's being preloaded on inexpensive PCs, such as those sold at Wal-Mart (for real cheap!)) and you now need XP for your current work. Asking can't hurt.

lawson
Baninated
Apr 22, 2006, 11:21 PM

I had a great experience installing Boot Camp and XP on my Intel iMac. It went beautifully and had no issues.

notoriousformula
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2006, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by neuronomad
I had a great experience installing Boot Camp and XP on my Intel iMac. It went beautifully and had no issues.
Same here, Windows XP SP2 installed without a glitch.. Installed Steam and updated CSS & HL-2..Both games run @ great FPS, AA also helps Getting a copy of BF-2 tomorrow.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz/1.5GB Ram/iSight/160Gb HD/ X1600 128Mb

cms
Senior User
Apr 23, 2006, 10:30 AM

Another very happy (boot) camper here. Flawless installations on half a dozen Intel Macs, and a very useful tool indeed for IT pros like me who need to switch in and out of Mac and Windoze all the time. Because of what I do for a living, I have a basic Windoze box at home, as well as my beloved G5 desktop system, but was feeling increasingly inadequate in terms of my own equipment while out and about visiting my Windoze-based clients. Realsing that Some Things Just Have To Be Done, I was about to bite the bullet and get one of the new spiffy dual core 13.3" Sony Vaios. But now I don't have to! Not only did I save myself a ton of money but I also now have two top-of-the-line drop dead gorgeous laptops in one super-fast and elegant machine.

Thank you, Apple!

fhoubi
Senior User
Apr 25, 2006, 04:39 PM

I had some minor issues: 1) you must be admin, otherwise bootcamp will not recnogize the windows cd 2) I had a fatal error when booting from the windows partition during the install, trying again solved the problem.

Otherwise.. my only reason to run Windows: Autodesk Inventor 10 full trial version SCREAMING:
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2006, 04:03 PM

Just used Bootcamp on a new 1.66 Duo Mac Mini to install Windows XP Pro. Went flawlessly and simply. I love it!
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

Porco
Jun 2, 2006, 01:23 AM

Quick question... My Windows install went perfectly, but now, my MB doesn't boot to OSX natively. I'd be happy if it just remembered to boot the last OS i used, but it just loads windows. That in itself is a reason to get rid of Boot Camp for me.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 02:11 AM

A friend is going to borrow me a copy of the new Windoze Vista, and I am going to attepmt to install that onto my MacBook. I'll let everyone know how it goes afterwards...
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules