Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 PowerBook Screen Problem

G4 PowerBook Screen Problem
Kaps
Nov 4, 2006, 09:14 PM

Helping a friend with a 15" Aluminum PB (not sure what speed off hand). The back lighting on the screen doesn't seem to be working-i.e. if you look closely when you turn the computer on, you can see the image on the screen, but there is no light. An external monitor works fine. Things I've tried: zapped PRAM, reset PMU, starting from system DVD. No change.

Before taking the computer apart, is there anything else I can try. If not, is it most likely the inverter board? What else could it be? If I need to order a part, I would like to do so before I take it apart (unless taking it apart would solve the problem without ordering any parts, e.g. a loose cable).

Thanks!

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 11:34 PM

I am not trying to insinuate that you are stupid, but have you tried the brightness button? Every once in a while this kind of thing happens to me.

Kaps  (op)
Nov 5, 2006, 05:21 AM

That was one of the first things that I tried. Nevertheless, it never hurts to mention the obvious-sometimes those things are so obvious you skip right past them.

Any other advice?

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2006, 07:01 AM

Try holding down eject when you start up the PB. I had a random issue with mine about 10 months ago when i turned it on (with a CD in the drive) and the screen just didn't show anything. Really freaked me out. Was holding down eject during startup to get the CD out, and suddenly my display comes back to life.

Worth a try..
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 08:47 AM

I suppose that the light could have burned out. There may also be a loose wire. I am leaning toward the common "send it in" advice.

Nov 5, 2006, 12:41 PM

That was one of the issues that I had with PB 1.5Ghz. The light in the LCD burned out. Had to go into Apple for repair. Worked fine on the Apple Display but was dimmer and dimmer on the system itself until it finally went out completely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules