Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Looking for a cross-platform keyboard that works with a KVMP switch

Looking for a cross-platform keyboard that works with a KVMP switch
mauimac
Jan 21, 2004, 02:56 AM

Hi there, thanks to the help from the folks here, I decided on a Logitech Elite keyboard, so I could have all the various keys and functions at my disposal to use with a couple Macs and a PC. Well, surprise, after the keyboard wasn't detected in the Logitech Control Center, buried in some FAQ it says Logitech doesn't support KVM switches. Great! Of course it's not noted anywhere prominently or anything. So I can basically type letters and numbers but the apple key and a bunch of other essential ones don't work, or any of the other "fancy" keys. So I guess I start from scratch...anyone know of a keyboard for Macs and PCs that WILL work via a KVMP switch? Or another approach to this? Or anyone know if Logitech can get it together to support KVM switches? Whose fault is this-Logitech or Iogear? What a shame, such a nice keyboard too!

Thanks again everyone!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 21, 2004, 04:15 AM

1. My Microsoft USB keyboard works fine when plugging/unplugging it from USB, which is what a normal KVM does. (In fact, ALL USB devices should support this, since USB is supposed to make all devices hot-pluggable. It probably took Logitech extra effort to make it not work.)

2. ANY generic USB keyboard will work on a Mac, provided you don't mind the command and option keys being swapped. (Logitech and Microsoft provide drivers that swap them to where they belong.)

tooki

new newton
Banned
Jan 21, 2004, 05:42 AM

You should have done a bit more research prior to buying a KVM. Some switches don't just pass the K/M signal--they emulate it when it's not present. Great for some things, really bad for use with Macs.

I've been using a Logitech Cordless Duo Elite with my ConnectPro KVM for a few months with absolutely no problems. Logitech's software is great on the Mac. IMO it's better than their Windows software.

mauimac  (op)
Jan 21, 2004, 12:25 PM

Thanks! I will look into ConnectPro. Cordless is much more appealing anyway!
It's also good to know if I go with a generic USB keyboard I can get a driver to swap back the command etc. keys where they belong! I didn't know that and that will certainly make a difference!
ALoha!

mauimac  (op)
Jan 21, 2004, 12:56 PM

New Newton-I have already been to the ConnectPro site..which KVM model are you using?...will any suffice?...I want to get & use the cordless elite too, I like the feel of this corded elite a lot, AND I want to share USB peripherals.
Thanks!

new newton
Banned
Jan 21, 2004, 01:35 PM

It's a Master-IT USB. I use the 2-port model with my PC and Mac. It's been seamless so far. It's got 3 USB ports on it that are directed at whichever computer is active. I've got my Logitech keyboard and mouse, a printer (I'll likely change that), and a USB hub with some miscellaneous things attached to it. Everything works without a hitch.

The supplied cables are as good as the Belkin cables I've purchased in the past. I've got no display issues, and am really quite happy with it. I think I picked it up from Amazon for about $60.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 04:18 PM

I use a Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard with a CompuCable USB KVM and no problems except that I can't wake the PC from the keyboard.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

uv23
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 06:47 PM

I use an apple pro keyboard & macmice mouse for both my powerbook and pc, shared by a Iogear miniview KVM, which also acts as a hub for sharing my hp printer and epson scanner. Works flawlessly.

mauimac  (op)
Jan 23, 2004, 03:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses and great suggestions! I love this place! I had to go offline for a while but when I got back it was nice to see all the options I have to go research now!
Aloha!

Forum Links
Forum Rules