Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Post your File Vault long term reports here

Post your File Vault long term reports here
uv23
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2004, 10:27 AM

So its been a while now since File Vault has been released and then patched. I'd like to hear from those of you using it, your impressions of its speed and usefulness, and any quirks you've encountered.

I use a PowerBook that has sensitive information on it, so naturally the idea of an encrypted disk appeals to me, in the event that it is stolen or lost. My concerns stem from performance hits, file corruption, and backup issues (how does one backup a FileVault-encrypted system?)

Any feedback appreciated.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 11:54 AM

I use it and I have had no problems with it. I like the fact that my data is secure even through access via Target Disk Mode, something I've always worried about. I have my user accounts on my desktop and my laptop protected.

Dudaev's Corpse
Banned
Location: Spread across a 5-kilometre radius somewhere in Chechnya, after the Russian apostates struck me down with a satphone-seeking missile
Feb 11, 2004, 05:58 PM

Used it since Panther was released. No problems, no data loss.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2004, 06:30 PM

How does backing up work with FileVault? If you use CCC or do a OSX restore to another drive, are the contents of the folder copied over unencrypted? Ideally, I'd like to run filevault but have an unencrypted backup.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 07:02 PM

Here's my post on the subject a while back.

In summary I noticed a slow down with multimedia files and problems with disk space. This is on a 12" PB with a 7200rpm internal drive.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Toyin
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 07:05 PM

Also, not mentioned in the previous post. I synchronize my PB and Dual G4. Not the entire home folders but Documents, Music, and Pictures. I noticed a significant slow down when doing this. At first I thought it was a problem with the router, but after disabling File Vault synchronization sped up significantly.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Forum Links
Forum Rules