Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Continually losing video signal when using mac mini DVI to VGA adapter

Continually losing video signal when using mac mini DVI to VGA adapter
uv23
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2005, 10:17 AM

Is anyone else experiencing this? It seems like the VGA adapter that ships with the mini is crap. We attach it as firmly as humanly possible yet it still has a lot of wiggle and play. The monitor keeps dropping out without any movement on the mini, necessitating a push on the adapter.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2005, 11:00 PM

This has happened a few times to me. I didn't realize the adapter threads into the DVI connection with two side thumb screws. Try that first. It shouldn't be loose once you tighten the screws.

I have another problem. No big deal and I already have repair scheduled with my local Apple store, but my power indicator LED on the front of my Mac Mini just stopped working two days ago. The tech had not seen this before. Anyone else had this problem?

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2005, 10:45 AM

Thanks! As you mentioned, they were loose. I didn't even notice the side screws until you pointed them out. Hopefully that'll do the trick now that they're nice and tight.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 10:19 PM

Hope everything continues to work ok for you. I haven't had a problem since I found those obscure thumb screws.

As an FYI for my power indicator LED problem, my local Mac service tech opened up my mini this afternoon and found a loose connector. End of problem.

westrock
Sep 10, 2005, 05:01 AM

Mine hasn't worked since day one. Luckily I had several other adaptors sitting around from various other PC purchases. But I get any picture at all on several different monitors. My next monitor I purchase will have a DVI, so it wasn't big deal for now.

uicandrew
Senior User
Sep 10, 2005, 10:44 AM

can you describe what you mean by "monitor dropping out"? i am having some issues with my display with my mac mini (using the dvi connection) and i want to know if we are having the same issue before i start a new thread
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules