Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > massive amounts of beachballing in tiger

massive amounts of beachballing in tiger
nuggetman
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2005, 12:03 AM

I have a 12" PB G4 1.33ghz with 768 megs of RAM (256 apple/512 crucial)

lately it's been doing massive amounts of beachballing whenever i try a simple task, such as going to a web site, sending an IM, etc.

activity monitor shows no excessive cpu usage

ive reset PRAM, NVRAM, PMU, etc. repaired the disk and disk permissions. run hardware test (extended) with no errors. cold rebooted several times. ive installed no new hardware or software.

the only odd thing im seeing is when i look in memory in activity monitor, i have close to 30,000 writes to my page file and almost no reads from it

what could be causing this beachballing?

PS - 10.4.2

Ryan1524
Senior User
Oct 7, 2005, 12:15 AM

my PB slowed down after tiger too, and i first thought this was a software problem, but then my harddrive died and the symptomps were simply a freeze with beachballing. first two times it required me to run fsck to get myself to be able to login again (otherwise it jsut stops at an empty blue screen). the third time nothing will recognize the HDD. not even the OSX installer from the restore CD.

it's currently at a service center.
Ryan

nuggetman  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2005, 06:28 PM

Problem solved, here's the reason for reference:

I have a desk lamp with a power outlet on it. The lamp is plugged into a power strip and I plugged the brick into the lamp for convenience when I wanted to remove it to take it with me.

I added a monitor recently - a large CRT. Apparently the draw it placed on the power strip was too much to power the lamp and brick properly. I moved the brick directly into the power strip and all is well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules