Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS crashes

OS crashes
qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2001, 12:19 PM

i have an unmounted disk and b tree errors all over the place i Am using 9.0.2

I have initalised the disk and will now install 9.1 do how do I avoid this again?

qnctv.com
Take a look...

sohail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2001, 01:59 PM

First and foremost, I wouldn't go with 9.1 - yet, especially if you're using apps like Dreamweaver and Photoshop (I don't know that you are, but just in case).
Second, 9.0.4 is a rock-solid build. I'd update to that and stick with it. Also, run Diskwarrior on your drive and typically, you should have no problems (or few minor ones at most) after that.

Sohail

qnc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2001, 02:31 PM

Too late I've loaded 9.1 on today where can I get 9.0.4?

I don't use photoshop that much yet what should I look out for?
qnctv.com
Take a look...

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2001, 03:48 PM

There is nothing wrong with 9.1, it is a safe upgrade for just about everyone.

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2001, 01:18 AM

Why is there an issue with Photoshop and 9.1? In my opinion PS is the most rock-solid program I've ever used, any version, under any Mac OS. I don't think it's ever crashed, despite memory leaks here and there...

What I have clear problems with are the Location Manager (crashes about one out of three times -- I've since disabled it), Control Strip (buggy, but acceptable), Extensions Manager (crashes about one out of five times I use it). What am I doing wrong?

One other strange thing happened. I typed a URL into Note Pad, dragged it onto the desktop and CRASH! Mouse froze, system down. I restarted. Same exact procedure. Crashed again. A third time, crashed again. The fourth time I opened Simpletext and did the same thing, no problem. Went back to Notepad and tried again... no problem. Now it seems to have gone away. That was the "Voodoo Notepad Clipping Issue".

I can't wait until more apps are optimized for OS X, and until I have 1GB of RAM in my TiBook. I'm hoping the suffering I've gone through since System 7.5 will finally be history.

At least OS9 is still more stable than Windows anything. Still, when I was using system 7.0 on 4MB RAM with loads of third-party extensions, I had no problems whatsoever, and OS9 is clearly less stable.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2001, 01:29 AM

I wouldn't sweat installing 9.1--it's a good system. For the kind of errors you mention, it's good to have a disk utility like DiskWarrior or TechTools Pro or Norton Utitlities. DiskWarrior is the best of the bunch, I think.

------------------
Klaatu borada nicto.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2001, 06:31 AM

Okay, the "Voodoo Note Pad Clipping Issue" is back. It is a recurring problem. I'm going to try to isolate the conflict, or to test whether it's an OS 9.1 bug.

Does anybody else experience the same problem?
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

qnc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2001, 09:15 AM

Thanks for all your opions basically so far so good

BUT

I can't get my toast to recognise the CD writer I pulled the application the extensions and the precences any any other control panels etc. restarted all it sees is the DVD drive in my expansion bay?

Any clues I need to back up major files I'm not having this two day reinstall again!!!!

------------------
London sorted
24:7 who needs sleep
http://www.nightclubbers.com
qnctv.com
Take a look...

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 03:06 AM

qnc, disable the "Authoring Support" extension, the "USB Authoring Support" extension and the "Firewire Authoring Support" extensions. These are all installed by iTunes and are incompatible with Toast.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 03:17 AM

Okay, the "Voodoo Note Pad Clipping Issue" is legit. It is fully reproducable under the "OS 9.1 Base", and any other extension set including the OS 9 base extensions.

Do this:

1. Open Note Pad from the Apple Menu.
2. Turn to a blank page.
3. Type something "adsfjegj" etc. on one line with no carriage return.
4. Highlight the line.
5. Type something else on the same line.
6. Highlight that line and quickly drag to the desktop in a single fluid motion. The key is that this has to be quick. If you do it slowly, the bug won't appear.
7. The pointer is frozen, the Mac has crashed hard, requiring a three-finger reset.

I am using a PowerBook G4 400MHz with 256MB RAM and doing the above using the trackpad. I haven't tested whether the same thing happens with a mouse.

I haven't isolated the extension, and I don't know if this is machine specific. Can someone else try this out on various machines to test the problem? Anyone else experience it? The fact that this happens every time, even on the "OS 9 Base" extension set leads me to believe this is a repeatable Mac OS bug. I will report this to Apple.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 04:05 AM

Christ! It's not an extension at all!!! I restarted with a fully empty extension set (all off, not starting up with extensions off via the shift key).

If I follow the above procedure, I still get a hard crash.

Changes to the procedure:

I didn't start Note Pad from the Apple Menu, I started from the Finder, so this does not look like part of the problem.

I just tried it restarting with extensions off from the space bar and I couldn't reproduce the problem. It seems to be something that loads separately and is not listed in Extensions Manager.

I've now posted on Apple's Discussion list. Apple doesn't seem to have a bug report form for shipping software.

While troubleshooting this, something really odd happened...
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

qnc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2001, 08:56 AM

Thanks

for all your help

Os 9.1 with a toast extensions configuration etc... iTunes

is now GO!!!
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Fredo
Senior User
Mar 30, 2001, 02:50 PM

tonton,
I don't know if this will help, but increasing memory allocation to the note pad helped stop crashes for me. You can find the application in the Apple extras folder in the applications folder in your hard drive. The suggested size is 210k. I boosted mine to 500k and haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.

------------------
"Who are the Brain Police?"
Who are the Brain Police?

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2001, 10:08 PM

Thanks, Fredo! That appeared to have done the trick! Duh. I should always suspect memory problems first, right? Should I increase the allocation to Extensions Manager and Control Strip and Location Manager? Maybe that'll solve all my problems and I'll have a stable Mac once again. Why would Apple underestimate memory requirments for something like this? Seems silly.
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Fredo
Senior User
Mar 30, 2001, 10:27 PM

Just be sure you have plenty of physical. I put in 512MB RAM for less than $200. Check it out: http://www.crucial.com/

------------------
"Who are the Brain Police?"
Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules