Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Article: Apple, Napster Swap Jabs Over Security Flaws

Article: Apple, Napster Swap Jabs Over Security Flaws
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2005, 07:57 PM

From today's L.A. Times:
Apple, Napster Swap Jabs Over Security Flaws
If you want to spread bad news about Napster Inc., just tell Steve Jobs.

The Apple Computer Inc. chief executive sent an e-mail Tuesday morning to top record industry executives, alerting them to a security gap in Napster's music service � a rival to Apple's iTunes online music store. "Thought you should know if you haven't heard about this," Jobs wrote.

The e-mail directed the label executives to a Web page detailing how to convert Napster's rental tunes into permanent downloads that can be burned onto CDs. The page urges people to sign up for a free trial of Napster and copy as much music as possible before canceling.

Napster CEO Chris Gorog sent the labels a retort Tuesday afternoon, arguing that such copying programs were neither new nor a problem only for Napster. Such programs are time-consuming because they "essentially work like a tape recorder," converting files as they play, Gorog said.

By contrast, he said, it is "trivial" to download a free program that circumvents Apple's anti-piracy software and unlocks "a large collection of iTunes music in seconds." He provided the Web address of a site that supplied such a program.

Neither Apple nor Napster would comment on the e-mail exchange. Spokesmen for the major record companies declined to enter the fray
Cool maneuver by Steve, but Napster's reply makes it sound like SJ only notified the labels of the analog workaround rather than the genuine software-based DRM hack. But perhaps that's just Napster's nonsensical spin.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2005, 08:11 PM

But I have to buy music from iTunes in order to decrypt it right?

gatekeeper
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 08:13 PM

Dear Records Labels,

Thought you should know if you haven't heard about this:
http://www.hymn-project.org

The project has been hosted in the United States for over a year and Apple hasn't even sent them a cease and desist letter in that time period.

Love,
Napster CEO

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2005, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
But I have to buy music from iTunes in order to decrypt it right?
I think their real allegation is that a small number will purchase, then decrypt and share, but Napster has obvious reasons for not making that point clear.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Truepop
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 09:18 PM

I seem to remember Hymn went through a bit of a battle with Apple and even got pulled when they hosted with someone in india.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 09:30 PM

i just think back to buymusic and where those suckers are now

hahaha mofos

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2005, 11:35 PM

Steve Jobs may be worried.
-\
-/

hayesk
Feb 17, 2005, 12:15 AM

I call bullsh*t. Maybe someone spoofed an email from Steve Jobs, but I really don't think he'd have done that himself. It's tacky and amateurish.

You don't acknowledge competition when you are #1. I think Steve knows it as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules