Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do Fords suck?

View Poll Results: Would you consider buying a Ford?
Poll Options:
Love them. Great vehicle, never a problem. 16 votes (19.75%)
Good value. Pretty reliable, Satisfied. 26 votes (32.10%)
Bad deal. My brother gave me his throwaway. 9 votes (11.11%)
They Suck. The scrap metal is worth more than a new Ford. 30 votes (37.04%)
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll
Do Fords suck? (Page 2)
greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Since Volvo is owned by Ford. I think that car in particular is a great car.
Used to be a great car. Same goes for the Land Rover.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 08:31 PM

I was going to jump on this Ford hating band wagon and state how reliable my Toyotas have been through the years. I might have even used the example of my old '85 Toyota pickup that gave me 280,000 trouble free miles, even running a few hundred miles once on almost no transmission fluid ( don't ask, lol ). I was even toying with mentioning my 2001 Tacoma 4x4, which I have driven to it's mechanical limits off road on many, many occasions, only breaking cv-axles which are a trivial 15 minute trail repair.

But last week my 2005 Corolla S had to be towed to the dealer with a faulty computer. Being a small percentage didn't make it any less embarrassing.

ink
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:
Used to be a great car. Same goes for the Land Rover.
And Jaguar?

Actually, Land Rovers have always received miserable marks for reliability by Consumer Reports.

They also have some sort of share with Mazda, but I'm not certain who owns what in that relationship. All I know is that my 626 ES sucked. I hated it almost as much as the Cavalier that we used to own.

What about Kia/Hundai? Anyone have anything good/bad to say about them? I don't know anyone that owns one, but they don't seem to have a bad reputation on the 'net (yet).

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2005, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by budster101:
I had an old Ford F-150 Pickup Truck, and it was bulletproof. It never had any problems.
I have a 94 Toyota pickup. 1994 was the last year Toyota used the bullet proof casings and parts for the engines. Suddenly in 1995 Toyota realized that if you have a pickup that lasts for 250,000+ miles with just average maintenance, people won't buy a new one for some strange reason.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2005, 12:01 AM

My family has driven Ford's forever and I can't say they have caused any of us major trouble besides the "normal" wear & tear over the years. There again, we take extremely good care of our cars as well. We've had a full line of different Ford vehicles as well: Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda, Ford, etc. etc.

I'm a fan.

RGB
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by ink:
And Jaguar?

Actually, Land Rovers have always received miserable marks for reliability by Consumer Reports.

They also have some sort of share with Mazda, but I'm not certain who owns what in that relationship. All I know is that my 626 ES sucked. I hated it almost as much as the Cavalier that we used to own.

What about Kia/Hundai? Anyone have anything good/bad to say about them? I don't know anyone that owns one, but they don't seem to have a bad reputation on the 'net (yet).
My 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT is great. There was a problem with the black paint from that model year (guess what color I have) getting eaten through rather quickly by bird droppings. My car wound up getting its top surfaces (hood, roof) repainted after a little over a year. Other than that, it's been mechanically perfect. Comfortable, full-featured (leather, sunroof, cruise, 6spkr CD, remote entry, etc) for about $14k new. Until the Mazda 3 came out, it was way above the competition at that price range.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2005, 01:01 AM

I've owned many Fords over the years, as has my family, and have found them to be outstanding in quality and reliability. I've had a few things that needed repair (usually from normal wear and tear), but no major problems in workmanship. The local dealer takes good care of his customers and does a good job reminding us of scheduled maintenance.

I've since bought different brands of cars over the past few years, not because I was unhappy with Ford, but because their product lineup at the time was not what I needed.

I'd buy Ford again.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 08:02 AM

Just don't buy an Explorer with a 'weakened roof'

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2005, 09:33 AM

I considered Fords to be much better than GM cars.

Cars by Japanese manufacturers (even those made in America i.e. Honda & Toyota) are the best in reliability.

I don't trust German cars, but they sure do drive well.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by NYK Ace:
we've had 8 fords in my lifetime ranging from an '86 thunderbird to the 2005 escape limited edition

lots of great machines each going well over 100,000 before selling
I don't consider a car a "great machine" until it gets over 200K miles with minimal fuss. Such as my `89 Accord (daily driver), which has 240K and has only had tuneups and oil changes.

As for Fords specifically, I also have a `71 Bronco. But, almost nothing on it is original. It's still a good truck though.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Truepop
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by budster101:
I've got a Chevy right now, and the driver's side window motor gave out one week after the warranty... $480.00
damn that's a lot for a motor. in my 95 camaro new motors for the windows were $47 each from o'reilly and an aftermarket motor and conversion kit for my 65 mustang was $139 each.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Mar 29, 2005, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
damn that's a lot for a motor. in my 95 camaro new motors for the windows were $47 each from o'reilly and an aftermarket motor and conversion kit for my 65 mustang was $139 each.
"Labor".... I was, how do you say, pissed....

I'm going to a junk yard for my other motor and figure it out for myself. Yeah. So, if anyone sees a news flash about some guy getting himself electrocuted while putting in a window motor, it may well be me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules