Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9 lifes of The Origanal Mac OS

9 lifes of The Origanal Mac OS
FERRO
Senior User
Aug 23, 2001, 07:06 PM

I was thinking recently that the best way to move people from OS9 to OSX was to make each new version of OS9 worse than the one before..... in small subtle ways... then over time kill the cat.

Last of the 9 lifes of the origanal Mac OS...

I am personally really attached to 9.x and dont want OSX until its a "tried and true" OS.

Its sad to see apple kill OS9..... like this.

� FERRO 2001-2002

booboo
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2001, 06:31 AM

I think some people at Apple are sensible enough to realise that many companies will be staying with OS 9 until OS X has proven itself and can run essential app's natively (say at least another year).And thus OS 9 support will continue a while.

I don't think Apple are quite killing OS 9 yet, and 9.2.1 seems fine on my no longer cutting-edge G4/400, and although this update is mainly for improvements in using OS 9 within OS X, and thus recommended only for OS X-ready machines, you can install it on "unsupported" Mac's. Details at www.xlr8yourmac.com. Benefits unknown.

I too was deeply afraid of this alien OS X/Aqua thingy taking the life-blood from the traditional Mac OS, but recent (5G24) builds of OS X have greatly appeased me. I'd take another look at OS X when 10.1 is released.
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

Forum Links
Forum Rules