Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > leopard macbook pro force restart super slow

leopard macbook pro force restart super slow
VuONG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2007, 08:13 AM

I recently installed leopard, and i noticed that force restart is super slow.

i dunno if any of you are experiencing this problem but for me, when i do crtl +apple+ power it takes at less a min or more to restart. It seems like after i do the force restart shortcut my macbok pro goes into sleep and then it finally restarts. If i do just the regular restart its fine super fast, as well as if i shut down its quick, only when i do force restart it super slow. I usually do this to get into bootcamp.

and anyone recommend me a solution to this problem?

thanks

Cold Warrior
Nov 14, 2007, 09:53 AM

why would you force restart for boot camp? Force restarting isn't cool when you don't need it.

Hold down option at normal boot-up to select which OS you want, or use System Preferences/Startup Disk in OS X, or the Boot Camp control panel in Windows, to select your startup disk/OS.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 10:37 AM

Yeah, why in the world are you doing that?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ibook_steve
Nov 14, 2007, 02:42 PM

Of course it's going to take longer. You're basically crashing the machine forcing the OS to check to make sure everything is OK on the disk at reboot. If you're too impatient to do a standard restart, check out Parallels or Fusion and use them with your BC partition.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

VuONG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2007, 02:50 PM

i think alot of you are misunderstanding what i wrote, cause there seems to be alot of mixed answers.

i use ctrl apple power. the shut down is slow not the when it starts back up again. what is wrong with that to restart os x? its always work fine before
in tiger and in panther? is this a new protocol for leopard?

sorry im on a tech wizard, teach me something, dont bash me.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 03:59 PM

You yourself call what you're doing a force restart. Command-Control-Power is the Apple equivalent to the PC's Control-Alt-Delete. There is no reason to restart in this manner unless the system is frozen; doing it can harm the data on your drive. What you're doing is almost as bad as pulling the plug on the computer. When it restarts after you do this the OS performs special operations in an attempt to avoid drive corruption. You should be restarting normally, using the Restart command in the Apple menu or the restart button in the shutdown dialog box.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

VuONG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2007, 08:08 PM

thanks

VuONG  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2007, 08:18 PM

is there a special shortcut command to do a regular restart?

Cold Warrior
Nov 14, 2007, 08:21 PM

you can press the power button on your Mac and it will bring up a dialog box with sleep, restart, cancel, or shutdown.

Forum Links
Forum Rules