Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > FedEx "delivers" pkg to outside my open apt bldg. (spoiler)MISSING!

FedEx "delivers" pkg to outside my open apt bldg. (spoiler)MISSING!
rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 11:23 PM

Had a $200ish package shipped out today for delivery, so I told the people in my bldg to leave the door open for fedex and I put a block on the door. Came home at 2.30p to a "still open" front door (of apt complex) and no package at my apt door. tracking says it was delivered at 1pm today. "Left at front door. Signature Service not requested." damn.

For one, the Fedex guy is a dick. He's delivered a previous package of mine to a neighbor down the street when the address was clear, and i've heard stories from a few other people on my street about the poor service.

Two: isn't the delivery guy supposed to make the decision on whether or not the place is safe to drop the package?

I called fedex after i talked to all the ppl in my bldg to make sure they didnt have it. Fedex said they'd put in an order to figure out exactly where the package was left and that the local warehouse will call me within 48 hours. She said if they dont call in 48 hours, I have to call the company i ordered from and have them file a claim. Anybody have a situation like this before?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 11:28 PM

2) Yes, but most of the time they just seem to drop it right by the front door. And if they hide it they normally just put a big note on the door saying where it is.

rozwado1  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 11:35 PM

i should say they usually put the packages at my apt door inside. The UPS guy is cool and locks the door on the way out after he drops it. Lazy fedex guy just didn't feel like coming inside I suppose...

Railroader
Banned
Jun 5, 2008, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by rozwado1 View Post
Anybody have a situation like this before?
Yes. A FedEx guy dropped a package off at my neighbor's backdoor (one he rarely ever uses), and swore up and down that he dropped it off at my house. It took a week for my neighbor to notice it.

Cold Warrior
Jun 5, 2008, 07:51 AM

I've basically given up on having packages delivered to my place when I expect it during workdays. No way I can be home. Thankfully no one at work cares if I have it delivered to my office building/floor, and there's camera surveillance to catch anyone who might have an interest in it.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I've basically given up on having packages delivered to my place when I expect it during workdays. No way I can be home. Thankfully no one at work cares if I have it delivered to my office building/floor, and there's camera surveillance to catch anyone who might have an interest in it.
Yes, same here. Any packages are delivered to me at work. Nobody cares that I do it, either.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2008, 08:17 AM

Ditto on the deliver-at-work approach. FedEx/UPS/DHL never give proper time slots, so you never know when they’ll show up, and it’s so annoying. “No, we can’t say anything more specific; we’ll deliver the package between 8 AM and 7 PM”. Gee, thanks. And if you’re not home, they just leave again. At least at work, there’s a reception that’ll actually call me and sign for the package for me if I’ve gone home already.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 08:59 AM

The UPS guy pulls crap like this too. Whereas the FedEx guy will leave a sticker and drop it off with a neighbor, the UPS guy leaves it on my doorstep, which is right on the sidewalk of a frequently traveled street. He did this for my last cellphone. Luckily, I just watch the tracking and leave work to pick it up ASAP.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2008, 09:08 AM

Which only works when tracking works. I’ve had tracking tell me my package was delivered several times, only to be updated a few hours later as being “on hold” or “at warehouse” or something.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 09:09 AM

I'm not suggesting my experience is some kind of solution. You'd also have to live nearby and leave work at the drop of a hat.

rozwado1  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2008, 09:49 AM

I'm kinda screwed on the office regard as I'm a grad student. On top of just leaving it at the door, I found the fedex drop tag this morning and he didn't even bother filling anything out on it. Frustrating.

Knof8
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2008, 10:36 AM

One suggestion is to call up fedex/ups/dhl and have them change the delivery method. I've found usually switiching it to I will pick it up at the local center does two things: 1)It's sometimes faster as they could have it there at 5am and I can pick it up rather than waiting til 5pm to have it delivered, 2) It's at a secure location, you have to show your ID, and they'll hold onto it for you for, I think, 2 weeks before shipping it back.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2008, 11:57 AM

I thought most companies were smart enough to require signature on delivery for items over $100? I guess if the shipper doesn't tell them it's over $100, they won't do it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Railroader
Banned
Jun 7, 2008, 12:13 PM

There are a few "Post Office Box" shipping stores around here. You give companies the shipping address to the store with your "PO Box #", and even the USPS, and you will get the delivery there. One place will email you when you get a delivery.

We are only home about 10 days out of the month and I have thought about using one of these places.

I suspect that a lot of people use them for duping the spouses.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2008, 05:40 PM

Edit: nm, wrong thread

Forum Links
Forum Rules