Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Resetting iMac modem

Resetting iMac modem
Knof8
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2002, 01:59 PM

So, sometime last night my cable modem went out. Figured Okay.... I'll just dial in like I used to to check my email. So I plugged the phone cord into my iMac G3 400 running 10.2 on it. Yes, my only dial up service is AOL. Then sometime in the morning I went to check on the phones and there was nothing. So contacted the phone company, guy came out, and we resolved it was an issue with the modem somehow tying up the phone line and had originally caused a short in the line as well. So the short got fixed, and the modem is no longer connected to the phone line. Question is though: is there any way to easily reset the modem in this puppy so IF I had to try to dial up again it wouldn't do such a thing?

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2002, 12:22 AM

This might be the result of a faulty wire. A dead line usually indicates that your telephone wires have crossed somewhere. I doubt it is your modem, and if it is, well its quite odd. Check that the wire going into the imac isnt bad, or perhaps the phone outlet is bad.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules