Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > To upgrade or not to upgrade?

To upgrade or not to upgrade?
an0therdumbsn
Jun 1, 2004, 09:31 AM

I recently got a new 1.25 ghz 15'' powerbook for my graduation and i love it. The only downside i see is that it only shipped with os x 10.2.8. I have iLife '04 and am debating on wheither or not i should buy panther now or wait untill "Tiger" comes out. Or even then if upgrading would be worth it, I'm new to all of this i come from the P.C world "shudder" and OS upgrades are very few and far between.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 09:49 AM

Adopt-A-Yankee

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 09:50 AM

Unless you want to pay twice, you should wait for Tiger. There won't be an upgrade price on Tiger. It will be full price. At least, that is what has happened in the past.

If you've got money to burn or are just itchin' for Panther take the plunge now. I like Panther better than 10.2.8. Of course, I liked 10.2.6 better than dot 8.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2004, 11:31 AM

Wait for WWDC, and hope they announce a release date for Tiger. Once you know that, you will be better equipped to make an informed decision. It may be a while before the actual release, in which case you may want to go for it. On the other hand, it may be released quite soon, in which case it would be better to wait.

Apple has, in the past, offered an Up-To-Date program that you may be able to take advantage of. Again, if they do this, you will probably be able to find out at WWDC.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jun 1, 2004, 11:45 PM

There are many improvements that Panther brings to OS X and I recommend updating to the latest OS.

Saying that - 129 bucks is a lot to shell out for an OS that may only be around for 6 months. If you're a student I believe the price drops to around 69. OWC sells it for 111.

Legally you cannot borrow someone elses disk and install Panther on your machine. There is technically nothing to stop you though.

Tiger probably won't be out till November at the earliest, so it's your decision.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

an0therdumbsn  (op)
Jun 1, 2004, 11:59 PM

yeah i am a student so it'd only be $69 based on what you guys have said and reading about it else where i think i'll take the leap.
I had suspected that Tiger would be released closer to its announcment date, based on their records with iPod ( my only prior apple experiences).
However $69 to upgrade something that works fine................

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 12:26 AM

For the student price, I don't know. If you have the extra money and you use the computer all the time. Go for it.

If you use your computer less then once a day, hold off until Tiger. I didn't find Panther to be an amazing upgrade. I'm VERY happy, but if I had to make the choice now... I don't know.

Like the others have said, hold off for WWDC and see if Steve gives a launch date.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2004, 12:05 PM

Don't upgrade. Save your money.

Unless there is some Panther feature you MUST have now.

If your system isn't broken, why fix it?

But why didn't it come with 10.3? Shouldn't you be getting a free upgrade?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

an0therdumbsn  (op)
Jun 2, 2004, 03:04 PM

yeah i only brought the thing on friday and was expecting to get panther, the disk that came in the box was only 10.2.6 , but it did come with the iLife '04 apps which i thought was wierd.
I wonder if it would be worth mentioning at the apple store to get a free/ discounted upgrade.....

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by an0therdumbsn:
yeah i only brought the thing on friday and was expecting to get panther, the disk that came in the box was only 10.2.6 , but it did come with the iLife '04 apps which i thought was wierd.
I wonder if it would be worth mentioning at the apple store to get a free/ discounted upgrade.....
Where did you buy it from? You mention the Apple Store but is that where you made the purchase? If you bought it from somewhere like Best Buy I would say you are out of luck getting Panther for free. If you bought it from Apple you might have better luck. Give them a call or stop by the store.

If it where me I would be polite but demanding that they give me Panther. It has been out since Oct. '03 and now it is June. That is 8 months. Tell them you feel like you bought a computer with Windows ME installed when it is supposed to come with XP.

an0therdumbsn  (op)
Jun 3, 2004, 10:40 PM

yeah it was an apple store

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jun 3, 2004, 11:12 PM

Wait a minute - you got the computer in the last month?

I'm pretty sure that Apple is obliged to upgrade the OS to the current one. Panther has been out for over 6 months.

Have a look at the paperwork that came with the computer. There should be a form that allows you to get Panther for free (+shipping and handling).

I did the exact same thing when I got my 17 inch PB last October. Panther has been announced and Apple said that any machine bought after that date would get Panther for free. I waited until they did that before I got the machine.

Dude I would go straight to the Apple Store where you bought the machine and get the disks. At the very least they should update the OS for you then and there.

Good luck.

If they refuse - I'll send you a copy of mine!

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2004, 03:54 AM

If it was in the last month, how did you end up with a 1.25GHz Powerbook? Shouldn't you have got the latest models or did you buy it a little bit earlier than the announcement for the new models?

Also, you sound like a prime candidate for a "free" upgrade to Panther which in Apple speak means something like $20 shipping and handling

an0therdumbsn  (op)
Jun 6, 2004, 07:58 PM

as a conclusion to this problem (in case anyone else is in a similar situation). I took my laptop and recipt down to the apple store and informed the guy what had happened. He and other people working there were very shocked and he ran (yes ran) to the back and returned with a free upgrade package to panther.
its things like this that make me realise how great apple is and wander how i cooped in the p.c world for so long.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by an0therdumbsn:
as a conclusion to this problem (in case anyone else is in a similar situation). I took my laptop and recipt down to the apple store and informed the guy what had happened. He and other people working there were very shocked and he ran (yes ran) to the back and returned with a free upgrade package to panther.
its things like this that make me realise how great apple is and wander how i cooped in the p.c world for so long.
It's customary in these threads to then post something like "and then I MADE him install it while I sat there and yelled at him".

but seriously, I was starting to wonder about that. Apple is extra cool at times.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jun 6, 2004, 10:39 PM

Good for you dude. Have fun.

quadraphonic
Jun 17, 2004, 08:13 PM

I picked up my PB used from the Apple Store last week, do you think they're obligated to give me a copy of Panther to upgrade the OS?

That'd be fine with me!
-quadraphonic
12" Rev C Powerbook G4, ComboDrive, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jun 18, 2004, 11:31 AM

totally dude. go back to the store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules