Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8500+G3+USB card=Crash city

8500+G3+USB card=Crash city
Mr.Fear
Feb 21, 2000, 05:15 PM

A pal of mine is having a world of trouble with his Mac. He's got an 8500 with a G3/340 Sonnet upgrade. He just put in a USB card, with a USB mouse & modem. Now, neither of them work, and the machine gives new meaning to 'unstable'. He is starting to think it's the power supply (as the machine is pretty picky about starting up).

Any suggestions? They would be most appreciated.

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2000, 06:44 PM

Your friend may need to look at apple's latest USB developer's kit to see if it helps. Here is URL:
http://www.versiontracker.com/redir.....4.1f2.sea.hqx

Those drivers are supposed to help with the add-on cards, but your mileage may vary. Don't forget to tell him to backup his current drivers in case these don't work.

Hope this helps.

Don

JoeEgo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2000, 04:15 AM

Two words: update everything
Run at least 8.6, ransack Apple Software Udates, nit-pick Versiontracker.

If the power seems to be a problem, unplug the monitor from the back of the computer if it's attached there. I actually did see someone's power supply die with a 17 or 20 inch _Apple_ monitor plugged into it. It was an 8500 or 9500 too.

I'm running an 8500 with a PowerLogix 604e overclocked, Rage Orion, MacAlly USB card, and ProMax IDE card (very trick). What type of USB card is he using? What kind of devices are hooked up to it? Perhaps a powered USB hub will take some load off of the PCI card.
---Joe
---Joe

Mr.Fear
Feb 27, 2000, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the advice - I passed it on, but my pal said "screw it - i'll buy something new."

Must be nice

Forum Links
Forum Rules