Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Issues

Airport Issues
Tim Collier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2007, 04:20 PM

Hi all,

Quick question, since installing Leopard, my Airport has gone a little whack. On Tiger, Airport would connect to my preferred wireless network at home. On Leopard, it now only sees it as a locked network and when I enter the WEP password, it simply says "Connection Timeout".

When I go to Safari and use the diagnostics tools, it goes through the process, entering the password and then connects.

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue...

Tim

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 29, 2007, 07:42 PM

So using AirPort's own dialog doesn't get you connected, but going through Safari's diagnostics, with the SAME password, it does? I don't have Leopard yet, and haven't bothered to upgrade to the latest version of Safari, so I don't know what diagnostics you're referring to-can you tell me more?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

peter myson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 01:44 AM

Hi I have the same problem. The diagnostics panel comes up when you try to open safari. You follow the procedure enter the password and that patronising message tells you you are connected. I can find no other way round at present. One oddity I will try later is my router (Netgear) is set to a WPA password, my initial attempts to connect way back when failed and by accident I discovered that putting the password in the 2nd option (40hex) worked and has worked for over a year until Leopard. I still have to use the same trick however during Safari's diagnostic phase! But when I get a moment I'll generate a full 40hex password and see if I can write all the numbers down in the right order! Cut and paste doesn't work

Tim Collier  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2007, 02:30 AM

Yes, Safari can't load the page so it gives you the option to open up the panel referred to above. Funny thing is, I have the same setup as Peter, Netgear Router with a WPA Password.

Let me know how you go with the HEX password.

peter myson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 01:41 PM

Right fixed it along with much bad language. Connect to the modem via cable do a netgear firmware upgrade. reboot > log in >wireless setting>go to just above the security section for WPA keys and change automatic to open source, apply - reboot all and so far so bloody good

nerd
Senior User
Nov 1, 2007, 12:58 AM

There appears to be a problem with Airport in Leopard. I can't get over dial-up speed when connected to my N Airport Base Station but on my G I can. Check out this thread over at Apple.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Airport problem ...

jmwmnl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 11:02 PM

so is there a solution for this problem? read through the above apple support thread and came up with three lines of code that could possibly answer the problem. is this the fix? any other ideas?
thanks,
jmwmnl
Portable Apple IIc with lovely green monitor and homemade joystick...so I could play chuck yeagers flight simulator
MBP 15" Intel Core Duo 2.16ghz w/256mg graphics, 100GB internal HD, express 34 eSATA connection
iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33ghz w/256mb graphics, 500GB internal HD, 2TB external HD...my how times have changed.

Vistaclara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2007, 03:06 AM

I am having the same problem and I don't have netgear, not that I could follow the cryptic message above. There must be a solution within OS X as it was working fine prior to the Leopard installation. I get the same timeout and can only connect after this freakin' laborious network diagnostic routine in Safari. This is crazy! Has anyone figured out how to fix this inside OS X?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 6, 2007, 09:27 AM

Whatever router you have, an updated firmware probably can't hurt at all. I cannot believe that an OS that had as much development time as Leopard wasn't thoroughly tested for important things like connectivity, so I don't think it's as much a Leopard issue as a goofy interaction between AirPort cards and a variety of routers.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

elppa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2007, 02:02 PM

I am having similar problems.

Can't connect using the airport menu but can connect via the diagnostics tool.

The one slight twist is that once connected the network shows up in the airport menu as unprotected (i.e no padlock) even though I have to type in a password and the NETGEAR router uses WEP.

As a question — does everyone with these problems have a NETGEAR router?

Also, I set the router up with WPA personal and it worked fine.

So I think it may be a Leopard + NETGEAR + WEP issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules