Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > RAM for a PowerMac G4 AGP?

RAM for a PowerMac G4 AGP?
elganador
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2009, 04:20 AM

Hello. I've got some concern regarding memory for a PowerMac G4 AGP. I've purchased PC100/133 memory before for older computers and never really thought of things like density and CAS, etc. In fact, I hadn't even really heard of those terms before last year when I bought some generic memory off eBay for my G5 PowerMac and it wouldn't recognize the PC3200 sticks. As such, I've been extra skeptical about buying any RAM because I don't want to get into a similar situation.

The PowerMac G4 AGP calls for PC100 RAM in sizes up to 512MB, up to four sticks for a total of 2GB (under OS X). The take apart manual I have regarding the PowerMac G4 doesn't spec out any further details. Thus the quandry - I've found some cheap memory that's spec'ed as:

• 168-pin unbuffered DIMM
• Density: HIGH DESNITY
• PC133 133FSB
• 3.3 Volts
• 6 Layer unbuffered
• CAS Latency 3
• 4Bank
• Off-chip driver (OCD) impedance adjustment, and on die termination (ODT)
Non ECC
Non Registered
Non Parity

I know that PC133 will work in PC100 situations, but this level of detail has thrown me off. Couple that with a few forum comments here and there along with my experience last year with my G5, and I'm kinda stuck as to if I can use this memory or not. Does anybody have any in-depth knowledge with PC100/133 memory specs in regard to PowerMac G4s?

Thanks for your time.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 28, 2009, 02:23 PM

Assuming you are looking for 512 MB modules, the "high density" label is a warning sign of likely incompatibility. I'm not recognizing any other warning signs in those specs. The Sawtooth G4 will accept PC133, but only if it has the speed settings for PC100 operation - the DIMM module may or may not have those settings listed in it's firmware. There is an OS9 utility that can copy the 133 settings as 100 settings, making a stick work - provided that was the only problem.

In practice, it's safer to order sticks known to work rather than gamble -> troubleshoot -> pull hair -> shoot up DMV office. Go to the Ramseeker page for PowerMac G4 PC100 and order by price + store that you like.

idykenano
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2009, 03:39 PM

You just need to make sure that it is low density and nonECC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules