Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Should All Homosexuals Join The Catholic Clergy?

Should All Homosexuals Join The Catholic Clergy?
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2012, 08:55 AM

So I was watching a Q&A on youtube with Dawkins and an Australia Bishop called George Pell and a something struck me:

When asked about gay marriage, Pell delivered what has become the standard diplomatic answer you get from Catholics (who aren't members of the US Republic party as they would obviously prefer that all gay people be lynched or shot) which was that being gay as in being attracted to members of the same sex was fine, and that this happens quite naturally among the population, but that the sinful part is acting on those attractions. In other words, gay people should either stay in the closet and sleep with members of the opposite sex exclusively, or remain celibate their entire lives.
He didn't spell it out that way, but he did say that human beings have the ability to suppress our sexual urges, so thats what I assume he meant. Now the other people I can immediately think of who are supposed to suppress their sexual urges and never get married are Priests, Nuns and Monks. So why hasn't the Catholic Church put two and two together and started actively recruiting gay people into the fold? Surely the most logical conclusion to draw if you find yourself naturally attracted to the same sex, is that god intended you to join the clergy?

We all know there are more than a few priests who have turned out to be gay already, so perhaps there is some internal understanding of this idea already. I just think a good PR blitz in this direction could bolster the ranks of the church and be very positive for generations of gay catholics to come.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Oct 28, 2012, 09:11 AM

Perhaps I'm missing some irony in your statement, but that's the way it used to be. Perhaps there were no billboards or flyers, but it was known.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2012, 11:04 AM

I didn't know that. Oh well, pointless thread then.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2012, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Perhaps I'm missing some irony in your statement, but that's the way it used to be. Perhaps there were no billboards or flyers, but it was known.
Yeah, they all but openly recruit gays to the priesthood.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2012, 04:14 AM

That's.....that's a joke, right? Everyone's having a laugh?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2012, 04:21 AM

Nope. I know of, and have met, quite a few gay RC priests. A long time friend of mine is gay and a bishop*. I don't see anything wrong with that.

*Cue the Flogging the Bishop joke.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2012, 05:42 AM

The chaplain at my high school and a priest at my church were both clearly gay. They pinged my gaydar, and I have terrible gaydar.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
That's.....that's a joke, right? Everyone's having a laugh?
Glad I'm not the only who didn't know this.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2012, 08:26 PM

Sounds like Dawkins has been haningin' with Ramtha at the RSE
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules