Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wifi damage to logic board?

Wifi damage to logic board?
N1c4shby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2017, 06:18 AM

I have two MacBook pros. 2008x15 and 2009x13

The wifi on the 13" was no hardware found. I plugged the cable into the 15" to test if it was card/cable vs logic board. Also did the reverse (plugging 13" cable into 15")
I got "no hardware installed" on both machines, both cable/cards.

Now assembling original everything back into the 15", I am getting no hardware installed.
I am assuming the worst, but is it possible the card from the 13" machine has damaged the logic board of the originally working 15"? Camera and Bluetooth still are working (and did also during the swap) but the infuriating "no hardware found" for wifi is there now. I have reset PRAM and SMC with no results.

N1c4shby  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2017, 06:21 AM

I may have screwed up the dates of the machines, but they are one year apart and have the same iSight/wifi/Bluetooth connection.

N1c4shby  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2017, 01:13 PM

For whatever reason, a component next to the connector on the logic board fried on this notebook
( Last edited by N1c4shby; Mar 28, 2017 at 02:58 PM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2017, 11:17 PM

More than likely you plugged the cable in upside down. You got off light, normally it fries the signal for the display, but yes this was a real thing on some unibody MacBooks around that era. I did it with a brand new logic board once and I saw the component in question turn bright white hot and then vanish with a puff of smoke.

There are places that can repair that type of thing for you. Much cheaper than a new board. Or if you are competent and want to try yourself the schematics for those older units aren't too difficult to find.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

N1c4shby  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2017, 02:29 AM

99% sure I didn't plug anything backwards. I did notice the plug was similar on both sides so I made a note to not do that... but that 1% I guess?
The card tested was questionable, perhaps it's possible the card itself was able to do the damage?

Idk. I think I'll just sell and save money on repair for an upgrade.

Thanks for the reply.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2017, 08:33 AM

There is a mark on one side of the connector. Trust me its easy to get it the wrong way around,
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules