Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 44)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
When Dolby Digital was first released on laserdisc around 1994, it was a mixed blessing. We finally had 6-channel audio, but it was lossy. 12 years later we have the capacity for uncompressed audio and you think that it's "enough"? No, it's not. People bickered for YEARS about DD vs. DTS, and the fact is that neither were transparent to the original. How much can Joe 6-Pack tell? Probably none. But HD isn't for J6P. You can sit there and spin it any way you want, but HD-DVD LOSES in that respect.
Yes, but in a few months around Christmas time, the format war is going to shift back to Joe Six Pack consumer, and as you said, Joe Six Pack is not going to care about uncompressed audio. A prosumer might... but not your average consumer with the $1000 bargain plasma and $200 bargain 5.1 sound system.

As for the comment you heard, I don't see why Apple would want one format or the other to go away just yet. Money is to be made by supporting both.
Look, frequently when Apple makes a decision, Steve's RDF usually kicks into high gear and the engineers are usually brought into line with the new policy. That's not to say the engineers are mindless automatons, they're very smart people. But from what I've seen, Apple likes to keep people on the same page for obvious reasons.

I don't doubt Apple will end up supporting both formats, whether happily or grudgingly. If you look back, I've said before that I think Apple will be going the combo player route. I mean, with new iMacs supposedly coming in a week, maybe they'll add a Bluray player and I'll look silly. But the current lack of any Bluray player on any Mac is telling. At this rate, Apple will be one of the last companies with support for Bluray.

Really, I haven't been trying to say Apple is completely anti-Bluray. My point is really that buying Bluray thinking that it's Apple's favorite format is a bad reason to be buying Bluray.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 30, 2007, 03:53 PM

Not this crap again? I thought we settled this. Apple is a member of the Blu-ray disc association which is the blu-ray analogue to the HD DVD promotion group.
See the Apple logo here?
Blu-ray Disc Association | Experience Blu
Blu-ray Disc Association

Do you see the Apple anywhere on this page? No.
Member List - HD DVD Promotion Group

Apple belongs to the DVD-Forum and just because HD DVD came out of the DVD Forum, fanboys assume that Apple is an active supporter of HD DVD. Need I point out that Sony is also a member of the DVD Forum? Does that mean they support HD DVD too?

Not only is Apple a member of the Blu-ray group but they are a board member.
Supporting Companies
Also, the video testimony from the execs of various companies in the association are said to best viewed in Quicktime.
What executives say

Other than continuing membership in the DVD Forum (which is a a must for the iLife Apple DVD burning features), Apple does support limited HD DVD authoring in Final Cut studio. But folks, that is a pro package and there are very few software packages out there that can author Blu-ray movie content at this moment. HD DVD is a quick and dirty hack over top of DVD technology which is why it was fairly easy for Apple to implement in FCP Studio.

I would hardly call having support in a Pro app a ringing endorsement when you are already a board member for the competing format's promotional and advertising organization.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2007, 03:55 PM

That's not the point. In this day and age I don't think it's right to accept anything less than uncompressed audio. People have wanted it for YEARS.
Well people are going to be wanting for even longer. Movies made today (and for at least the past 5 years, probably a bit longer than that though) are recorded in at LEAST 24bit 48khz, if not better. So any of these uncompressed tracks technically may be uncompressed audio, but they're still downsampled from the source.

I wonder if either format allows for 24bit audio in their specs...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Not this crap again? I thought we settled this. Apple is a member of the Blu-ray disc association which is the blu-ray analogue to the HD DVD promotion group.
If you'd like to go back to what Apple has officially said, they've officially said they support both formats.

There, debate solved.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2007, 03:57 PM

See the Apple logo here?
Blu-ray Disc Association | Experience Blu
Blu-ray Disc Association

Do you see the Apple anywhere on this page? No.
Member List - HD DVD Promotion Group

Apple belongs to the DVD-Forum and just because HD DVD came out of the DVD Forum, fanboys assume that Apple is an active supporter of HD DVD. Need I point out that Sony is also a member of the DVD Forum? Does that mean they support HD DVD too?

Not only is Apple a member of the Blu-ray group but they are a board member.
Supporting Companies
Also, the video testimony from the execs of various companies in the association are said to best viewed in Quicktime.
What executives say

Other than continuing membership in the DVD Forum (which is a a must for the iLife Apple DVD burning features), Apple does support limited HD DVD authoring in Final Cut studio. But folks, that is a pro package and there are very few software packages out there that can author Blu-ray movie content at this moment. HD DVD is a quick and dirty hack over top of DVD technology which is why it was fairly easy for Apple to implement in FCP Studio.

I would hardly call having support in a Pro app a ringing endorsement when you are already a board member for the competing format's promotional and advertising organization.
There was also that press release that, you know, specified that Apple was supporting BOTH formats. But you can ignore that if you want...

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Well people are going to be wanting for even longer. Movies made today (and for at least the past 5 years, probably a bit longer than that though) are recorded in at LEAST 24bit 48khz, if not better. So any of these uncompressed tracks technically may be uncompressed audio, but they're still downsampled from the source.

I wonder if either format allows for 24bit audio in their specs...
Dude, seriously, do some research...

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) DVD Review
2.35:1 Widescreen High-Def 1080p; 5.1 Uncompressed 48 kHz/24-bit (English), Dolby Digital 5.1 (English, Spanish, French); Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
"Scoundrels at Sea" on-screen pirates facts, Movie Showcase; 3 audio commentaries, "An Epic at Sea" documentary, 19 deleted/alternate scenes, "Moonlight" scene progression, "Fly on the Set" pieces, "Below Deck", "Diary of a Ship", "Diary of a Pirate", "Producer Jerry Bruckheimer's Diary", gallery, bloopers

---

Oh, and yeah...

Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD demystified - Engadget HD

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2007, 04:08 PM

Not this crap again?
My sentiments exactly, although perhaps not in the way you meant it. We simply have NO idea what Apple's official stance is going to be, so let it be for now.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2007, 04:09 PM

Dude, seriously, do some research...

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) DVD Review
2.35:1 Widescreen High-Def 1080p; 5.1 Uncompressed 48 kHz/24-bit (English), Dolby Digital 5.1 (English, Spanish, French); Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
"Scoundrels at Sea" on-screen pirates facts, Movie Showcase; 3 audio commentaries, "An Epic at Sea" documentary, 19 deleted/alternate scenes, "Moonlight" scene progression, "Fly on the Set" pieces, "Below Deck", "Diary of a Ship", "Diary of a Pirate", "Producer Jerry Bruckheimer's Diary", gallery, bloopers

---

Oh, and yeah...

Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD demystified - Engadget HD
I was just going off your post earlier as listing an uncompressed track as 16/48. Didn't feel the need to research it since you posted it.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Jul 30, 2007, 08:47 PM

The PS2 did not kill DiVX - the entire retarded concept of DiVX killed DiVX. The format was dead before the PS2 was even released.

And I love how you're hoping for new discs to come out that wont play on current hardware. Yay for obsolete machines!!!
Obi hasn't just drank the blue Kool-Aid. He's funneled a two litter of the stuff and topped it off with a couple of blue Kool-Aid keg stands. DIVIX was a couple of years behind DVD, was on the market for about 6 months total, and was only available from 3 or 4 retailers.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 02:22 AM

To those that think Universal is going to be going neutral anytime soon:
Universal Studios VP sez HD DVD is 'more affordable' than Blu-ray - Engadget HD

Bluray is getting Lost season 3, which is honestly the first thing I'm honestly interested in on Bluray:
Lost: The Complete Third Season headed to Blu-ray Dec. 11 - Engadget HD

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2007, 03:51 AM

There was also that press release that, you know, specified that Apple was supporting BOTH formats. But you can ignore that if you want...
Man, you are not getting it are you? Of course they will support both formats in authoring software but that does not change the fact that they do not participate in the HD DVD promotional group and they are on the Blu-ray Disc association board. They are a board member of one group and not even a member of the other. Both the HD DVD Promotional Group and the Blu-ray Disc Association exist to promote/advertise their respective formats to the media, content providers, consumer electronics firms and media manufacturers.

Apple may provide software support for both formats in the future but given their board membership, I assume that they are hard at work developing hardware and software support for Blu-ray authoring in future macs and releases of iLife.

Is this all clear to you? If not, I cannot be held responsible if you cannot understand plain English due to a learning disability you may have which hinders reading comprehension.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 31, 2007, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Montezuma58 View Post
Obi hasn't just drank the blue Kool-Aid. He's funneled a two litter of the stuff and topped it off with a couple of blue Kool-Aid keg stands. DIVIX was a couple of years behind DVD, was on the market for about 6 months total, and was only available from 3 or 4 retailers.
Maybe in your side of Kansas where "DIVIX" is sold it was like that but in every store I went to there were DVD and DivX players. It wasn't long after the PS2 sold millions of units that DiVX disappeared. The PS3 is doing exactly the same thing and having the same effect on HD-DVD sales. Blu-ray sales are increasing and leaving HD-DVD behind as more PS3 units are sold. Goodbye HD-DVD, and welcome to the real world, Universal.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 04:24 AM

Man, you are not getting it are you? Of course they will support both formats in authoring software but that does not change the fact that they do not participate in the HD DVD promotional group and they are on the Blu-ray Disc association board. They are a board member of one group and not even a member of the other. Both the HD DVD Promotional Group and the Blu-ray Disc Association exist to promote/advertise their respective formats to the media, content providers, consumer electronics firms and media manufacturers.
If Apple is a big supporter of Bluray, where are Macs with Bluray? Everyone else has been shipping computers with Bluray. Where is Apple?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost View Post
Maybe in your side of Kansas where "DIVIX" is sold it was like that but in every store I went to there were DVD and DivX players. It wasn't long after the PS2 sold millions of units that DiVX disappeared. The PS3 is doing exactly the same thing and having the same effect on HD-DVD sales. Blu-ray sales are increasing and leaving HD-DVD behind as more PS3 units are sold. Goodbye HD-DVD, and welcome to the real world, Universal.
The death of DivX had nothing to do with the PS2. The format imploded on it's own due to it's suckiness.

What stores did you go into? I swear I remember Circuit City being the only store that carried DivX. I never have even seen an actual DivX player myself, much less known anyone who actually bought one.

(also, scroll up for a link on Universal. They apparently think HD-DVD is far from dead. Good luck seeing them on Bluray any time soon.)

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 31, 2007, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
If Apple is a big supporter of Bluray, where are Macs with Bluray? Everyone else has been shipping computers with Bluray. Where is Apple?
Considering they were going through a PPC>Intel switching phase for a year, devoted so much energy to iPhone that Leopard was delayed, and won't have a video player that supports HD until Leopard, did you expect Blu-ray drives to ship with Tiger, especially when HD hasn't gotten off the ground yet? Apple's priorities have been on three other more important things.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 31, 2007, 04:29 AM

The death of DivX had nothing to do with the PS2. The format imploded on it's own due to it's suckiness.
Same thing will happen to HD-DVD. Why would anyone want a disc format with less capacity and less future proofing? Stupid or what.

Universal will go Blu-ray, like a beggar who lived in the cold for too long.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 04:30 AM

Considering they were going through a switching phase for a year and won't have a video player that supports HD until Leopard, did you expect Blu-ray drives to ship with Tiger?
Why not? It didn't take an OS upgrade to support DVD. I mean, if Apple is such a big supporter, why is it that they are going to be the last company to support Bluray? You don't need to upgrade the entire OS to ship a new DVD Player.app.

And the funny thing is, if they are going to be shipping just Bluray drives, why bother adding HD-DVD support to Leopard? Because there are reports that Apple has done that.

And software? The software is already done. Apple's Compressor app already will encode for Bluray or HD-DVD.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 04:35 AM

Same thing will happen to HD-DVD. Why would anyone want a disc format with less capacity and less future proofing? Stupid or what.
Huh? Are you talking about the Bluray that's so future proof that Sony is already outdating existing players that don't support newer features? You must have confused Bluray with the many other formats that have never had this strange issue,

Universal will go Blu-ray, like a beggar who lived in the cold for too long.
Well, looks like you're going to have to wait at least another 6 months for Universal to state their opinion again.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 31, 2007, 04:40 AM

Why not? It didn't take an OS upgrade to support DVD.
Huh, genius, yes it did. DVD Player never shipped or worked with 10.0

I mean, if Apple is such a big supporter, why is it that they are going to be the last company to support Bluray? You don't need to upgrade the entire OS to ship a new DVD Player.app.
See above, genius.

And the funny thing is, if they are going to be shipping just Bluray drives, why bother adding HD-DVD support to Leopard? Because there are reports that Apple has done that.
No they haven't. The new DVD Player only mentions 'HD' support, not HD-DVD. Don't try saying it is the same thing. The former is not a disc format.

And software? The software is already done. Apple's Compressor app already will encode for Bluray or HD-DVD.
A Pro authoring suite HAS to support video production workflow export to as many mediums as possible. Final Cut Studio can output to BetaMax. You don't see any Macs shipping with a built in Betamax player do you?

God, someone get a clue or two.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 04:46 AM

Huh, genius, yes it did. DVD Player never shipped or worked with 10.0
10.1 wasn't the first version of Mac OS to ship with a DVD Player. You need to go review your Mac history. (And yes, if Apple wanted, they could have released DVD Player for 10.0. But it didn't much matter because 10.1 was free.)

Actually, I don't need to dabble about this point with you. Apple seems to have released a version of DVD player that plays HD DVD content authored in Final Cut Studio:
Apple - Support - Downloads - DVD Player 4.6

See? No OS update required.

No they haven't. The new DVD Player only mentions 'HD' support, not HD-DVD. Don't try saying it is the same thing. The former is not a disc format.
Again, you need to do your research. The new DVD Player supposedly references both HD DVD and Bluray explicitly. This was covered both on ThinkSecret and Engadget.

A Pro authoring suite HAS to support video production workflow export to as many mediums as possible. Final Cut Studio can output to BetaMax. You don't see any Macs shipping with a built in Betamax player do you?
You aren't very quick, are you? You're talking about how Apple needs to finish it's content creation software... well... The encoder is already done.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 31, 2007, 04:51 AM

10.1 wasn't the first version of Mac OS to ship with a DVD Player. You need to go review your Mac history.
Lame response. We're talking about OS X and you know it.

(And yes, if Apple wanted, they could have released DVD Player for 10.0. But it didn't much matter because 10.1 was free.)
No they couldn't. 10.0 didn't support good enough video acceleration. Mac with Tiger won't ship with high definition Blu-ray optical drives so forget about seeing Tiger with a new DVD Player too. After Leopard ships we'll see Macs with Blu-ray and Jobs will show charts of how Blu-ray sales have left HD-DVD in the dust.

The new DVD Player supposedly references both HD DVD and Bluray explicitly. This was covered both on ThinkSecret and Engadget.
I've got the new DVD Player on Leopard and it doesn't mention either format. The only thing it mentions is whether you system supports 'HD'.

You aren't very quick, are you?
Considering how flawed and full of errors your responses are, I'd predictably say The Force isn't very strong with you.

You need to go read "How to Win Internet Arguments" with your twin Master of All Things on Earth besson3c.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 04:55 AM

Lame response. We're talking about OS X and you know it.
Scroll up, you already lost.

No they couldn't. 10.0 didn't support good enough video acceleration.
Um no. 10.0 supported OpenGL. Playing DVD's has nothing to do with Quartz.

I've got the new DVD Player on Leopard and it doesn't mention either format. The only thing it mentions is whether you system supports 'HD'.
I'm a seed member so I'm not going to get into specifics with you. Check Engadget for details.

You need to go read "How to Win Internet Arguments" with your twin Master of All Things on Earth besson3c.
If you scroll up you'll see I've already posted a link to a version of DVD Player Apple has released for 10.4 that supports HD-DVD content.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 31, 2007, 05:03 AM

Scroll up, you already lost.
Scroll up where? To more of your crap?

Um no. 10.0 supported OpenGL. Playing DVD's has nothing to do with Quartz.
WTF?

I'm a seed member so I'm not going to get into specifics with you. Check Engadget for details.
Jeez. Next you're the president of Mozambique and I'll have to visit your personal blog.

If you scroll up you'll see I've already posted a link to a version of DVD Player Apple has released for 10.4 that supports HD-DVD content.
HD, not the HD-DVD disc format. It is only for playback from hard drives where content has been authored by video professionals who need to test their output. Apple won't ever ship a Mac with a HD-DVD drive. Blu-ray only.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 05:12 AM

WTF?
10.1 upgraded Quartz, not really OpenGL. Quartz is for drawing widgets on the screens, it is not for video, DVD Player draws video in OpenGL, which was available on 10.0

VideoLAN supported DVD's on 10.0, but I suppose you're going to tell me that they must have used magic or something, because as you have pointed out, 10.0 was apparently too slow to play a DVD, even though it could play QuickTime content just fine.

HD, not the HD-DVD disc format. It is only for playback from hard drives where content has been authored by video professionals who need to test their output. Apple won't ever ship a Mac with a HD-DVD drive. Blu-ray only.
So it can play what's on an HD-DVD disc, but this is not good enough for you?

I'll let you in on a little secret. Apple has a policy where they do not code things for OS X they do not plan to use in their own products. If you look through the entirety of OS X, there is not one API or feature that was not taken advantage of by Apple's own products. If Apple does add HD-DVD support to Leopard, it is a virtual guarantee they will be shipping machines with HD-DVD drives. Apple does not simply code something just for 3rd parties.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 31, 2007, 05:27 AM

10.1 upgraded Quartz, not really OpenGL. Quartz is for drawing widgets on the screens, it is not for video, DVD Player draws video in OpenGL, which was available on 10.0
Open GL isn't a video accelerator. Open GL isn't used for accelerating video playback. The only thing DVD Player uses Open GL for is to display accelerated video in a window and for scaling. Hang on, weren't you once claiming to be a genius Open GL programmer long before you claimed to be a gaming expert long before you claimed to be a video expert long before you claimed to be a server expert? It was back when you were sending legal threats to MacNN members who argued with you. :belming:

VideoLAN supported DVD's on 10.0
VLC has it's own playback software. Off topic.

So it can play what's on an HD-DVD disc, but this is not good enough for you?
Prove it. Find a person with a HD-DVD drive connected to a Mac who can play video from the disc with DVD Player. If you could be some miracle find it, it still won't mean Apple will ship HD-DVD drives. They won't. Blu-ray will leave HD-DVD in the dust (especially after GTA4 increases PS3 sales) and Jobs will say Apple is very clever because they always backed the better format. Then a stage trapdoor will open and new Macs with Blu-ray drives will ascend through it to a gasping audience who will drool at how cool HD Macs will be, how they can back up 50GBs of data to Blu-ray, and how they can be connected to a 42" Cinema Display, etc.

I'll let you in on a little secret.
You're a moron and need a woman? I knew it already.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 05:39 AM

Open GL isn't a video accelerator. Open GL isn't used for accelerating video playback. The only thing DVD Player uses Open GL for is to display accelerated video in a window and for scaling. Hang on, weren't you once claiming to be a genius Open GL programmer long before you claimed to be a gaming expert long before you claimed to be a video expert long before you claimed to be a server expert? It was back when you were sending legal threats to MacNN members who argued with you. :belming:
Um. Yes. OpenGL certainly is used for accelerating video playback. There is a reason that in 10.4 Apple rewrote QuickTime to be entirely OpenGL based. OpenGL provides the quickest path to the screen, bypassing Quartz entirely. This is why DVD Player on 10.0 would not have been plagued with all the inefficiencies in Quartz, it would have bypassed it entirely.

I don't send legal threats to MacNN members. Any mod can come here and say I've never been an issue behavior wise. I think you have me confused with a different member. I think you should go find actual proof before you start slinging around accusations like that.

VLC has it's own playback software. Off topic.
Oh, but you said it was entirely impossible for 10.0 to play DVD's. It was faarrrr to slow. The entire OS would have to be upgraded...

Prove it. Find a person with a HD-DVD drive connected to a Mac who can play video from the disc with DVD Player. If you could be some miracle find it, it still won't mean Apple will ship HD-DVD drives.
No see. you don't quite get it. This is in response to you saying they would have to upgrade the entire OS to play a next gen format. But it would seem that they don't.

They won't. Blu-ray will leave HD-DVD in the dust (especially after GTA4 increases PS3 sales) and Jobs will say Apple is very clever because they always backed the better format. Then a stage trapdoor will open and new Macs with Blu-ray drives will ascend through it to a gasping audience who will drool at how cool HD Macs will be, how they can back up 50GBs of data to Blu-ray, and how they can be connected to a 42" Cinema Display, etc.
I will say it again, Apple does not ship features that they do not use themselves. It is company policy. If they ship full HD-DVD playback as part of DVD Player, it is almost a guarantee they will ship HD-DVD drives themselves.

You're a moron and need a woman? I knew it already.
My woman loves me just fine.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 06:53 AM

SWG, you don't know what you're talking about.

Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX
The DIVX rental system was created in 1998 in time for the holiday season and was discontinued on June 16, 1999 due to the costs of introducing the format, as well as its very limited acceptance by the general public.
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2
it was first released in Japan on March 4, 2000, in North America on October 26, 2000 and in Europe on November 24, 2000.
So the PS2 was released over a YEAR after DiVX was scrapped. But I'm sure it had a huge impact.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 31, 2007, 07:23 AM

I don't send legal threats to MacNN members.
Lie. I know three personally who you did send legal threats to just because they called you by your real name on the forum. Whoever the mods were at the time they know it. Now that I know I'm talking to a delusional technically incompetent freak and a liar, you're going to be blocked. You can go the way HD-DVD goes for all I care. All the way down.

AND one more thing you ****ing pathetic wimp. If you're going to insult me with 'You're not very quick are you?' and other lame quips, try having the balls to be called a moron back and not go crying to the mods. I don't give half a ****ing sh!t about a lame infraction warning. As if my life depends on some stupid forum like yours does. This is the only place where idiot bastards like you can act tough and try to look smart. Moron. I pity your dad for wasting calories when he was shagging your mum.
( Last edited by Obi Wan's Ghost; Jul 31, 2007 at 07:29 AM. )

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Jul 31, 2007, 07:24 AM

So the PS2 was released over a YEAR after DiVX was scrapped. But I'm sure it had a huge impact.
There was still DiVX and (expensive) DVD players at the same time the PS2 came out. There are still cheap DiVX/DVD hybrid players coming out right now.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 07:43 AM

There are still cheap DiVX/DVD hybrid players coming out right now.
Even though the format is no longer playable? Why would anyone still make players?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 08:15 AM

SWG, you don't know what you're talking about.
That's not SWG

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2007, 08:20 AM

What stores did you go into? I swear I remember Circuit City being the only store that carried DivX. I never have even seen an actual DivX player myself, much less known anyone who actually bought one.

(also, scroll up for a link on Universal. They apparently think HD-DVD is far from dead. Good luck seeing them on Bluray any time soon.)
In NJ, DIVX was sold in CC and 6th Ave. Electronics.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 10:00 AM

There was still DiVX and (expensive) DVD players at the same time the PS2 came out. There are still cheap DiVX/DVD hybrid players coming out right now.
Wow, so you think the DivX players coming out now are the same DIVX that Circuit City was pushing in 99? You may want to check these links:
DivX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DIVX (Digital Video Express) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
That's not SWG
My mistake - but seriously how should I have known?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 10:01 AM

Ouch.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Even though the format is no longer playable? Why would anyone still make players?
They don't. Companies support the DivX codec (very popular for pirated TV shows and movies) playable on DVD-R discs in new DVD players. I used to own a Philips player that played DivX files.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2007, 10:38 AM

Prove it. Find a person with a HD-DVD drive connected to a Mac who can play video from the disc with DVD Player.
? AVSers do this all the time. If you author AND BURN an HD DVD disc in DVD Studio Pro, it plays back just fine in DVD Player in Tiger, and it plays back in standalone HD DVD players as well.

This shouldn't be a surprise at all, because people have been doing this since 2006. The discs burned are on DVD media at this time. However, they are fully within the HD DVD specification, which is why the discs will play on standalone HD DVD players.

HD, not the HD-DVD disc format. It is only for playback from hard drives where content has been authored by video professionals who need to test their output.
You really don't know much about this stuff do you?

OMFG that's hilarious. Captured (again) for posterity and amusement.

Apple is very clever because they always backed the better format.
Like DVD-RAM? I actually like DVD-RAM, but it didn't go very far, did it?

Anyways, it's irrelevant, since Apple has already said they support BOTH formats, and in practice, they are only supporting one at this time, with that one being HD DVD. However, it's likely they will support both... and they haven't said otherwise.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 01:47 PM

Lie. I know three personally who you did send legal threats to just because they called you by your real name on the forum. Whoever the mods were at the time they know it. Now that I know I'm talking to a delusional technically incompetent freak and a liar, you're going to be blocked. You can go the way HD-DVD goes for all I care. All the way down.
Nope. I've never done anything like that. It would be incredibly stupid of me to do in since my name is in my sig. I've never actually reported any users, and I've certainly never legally threatened any users.

Also, even though my profile was opened on 2001, I probably didn't start posting here until 03. I was over on the MacAddict forums before those forums started to run down.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 01:59 PM

Picked up 300 and Hot Fuzz today. Spent a total of $20 for the both of 'em. Love the Movie Stop trade in deal.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2007, 10:16 PM

Picked up 300 and Hot Fuzz today. Spent a total of $20 for the both of 'em. Love the Movie Stop trade in deal.
You suck! I have several DVDs I'd like to get rid of, but most places around here that take trades don't have hi-def discs.

P.S. I just can't get myself to buy 300. I haven't seen it, but the reviews are not that great. I'm looking forward to getting Hot Fuzz (and Shaun of the Dead) soon though.

P.P.S. The Futurama movie is out in November, on HD DVD. w00t! Bender's Big Score

There are a total of four Futurama movies, but each movie is divided into 4 episodes. That's a total 16 episodes, and all will be aired on Comedy Central.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2007, 10:51 PM

Futurama is not coming out on HD-DVD. It was a misprint. Fox = BluRay. It's not coming out on BR either.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2007, 11:06 PM

Futurama is not coming out on HD-DVD. It was a misprint. Fox = BluRay. It's not coming out on BR either.
OK, that would make sense if it's Fox. However, since it is Fox, then they should release it on Blu-ray.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2007, 11:26 PM

It's DVD only. It was a misunderstanding about "mastered in HD".

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2007, 11:40 PM

It's DVD only. It was a misunderstanding about "mastered in HD".
I'm just saying that since it's mastered in HD, it'd be nice if they released it as such. However, I'm not actually surprised, since Fox has a habit of releasing no HD in either format.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2007, 02:41 AM

Forgive me if this has already been posted. If it has, I missed it. This Ultimate Collector's Edition of Blade Runner is certainly interesting (MSRP $99.98):

The Ultimate Collector´s Edition will be presented in a unique 5-disc package with handle which is a stylish version of Rick Deckard's own briefcase, in addition each briefcase will be individually numbered and in limited supply. Included is a lenticular motion film clip from the original feature, miniature origami unicorn figurine, miniature replica spinner car, collector's photographs as well as a signed personal letter from Sir Ridley Scott.

It'll be available for DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray. IMHO not worth the $40-$50 price premium over the normal "Complete Collector's Edition" though. I just preordered the Blu-ray version of that at Amazon for $27.95. Now if they had included a replica of Deckard's gun, I might have been tempted to go for the "Ultimate" version...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 06:18 AM

If Paramount bought the rights (Comedy Central is airing the new episodes), then it could come out on HD-DVD. Don't know if that actually happened, though...

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2007, 08:16 AM

Blade Runner's being shown in NYC on Oct. 5. Can't wait!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 08:19 AM

I see someone got banned.
Edit: Bender's Big Scores comes out Dec. 8, roughly according to imdb.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Forgive me if this has already been posted. If it has, I missed it. This Ultimate Collector's Edition of Blade Runner is certainly interesting (MSRP $99.98):

It'll be available for DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray. IMHO not worth the $40-$50 price premium over the normal "Complete Collector's Edition" though. I just preordered the Blu-ray version of that at Amazon for $27.95. Now if they had included a replica of Deckard's gun, I might have been tempted to go for the "Ultimate" version...
I agree. The uber-duper-box-set-in-a-briefcase is too much money. I'll get the other one too.

starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I see someone got banned.
Edit: Bender's Big Scores comes out Dec. 8, roughly according to imdb.
Weird. Looking over his posts I can't figure out why.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 11:07 AM

Weird. Looking over his posts I can't figure out why.
Seriously?

Forum Links
Forum Rules