Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook burnt my hand twice!

Macbook burnt my hand twice! (Page 3)
hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
The MacBook still isn't as hot as my PowerBook. It normally runs at about 110 degrees F due to the warp in the case which blocks the fan vents. I hope it doesn't melt.
Judging from the age your PowerBook if it hasn't melted yet it never will.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2006, 10:27 PM

The case warping actually didn't happen until Dec 2005. It gets hotter, especially with Final Cut Express, up to about 118 degrees F.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Get a replacement - there is no way it should be physically burning you. If you can infact proove the laptop burnt you, then I seriously thing you have a good case to sue Apple...
You can't sue Apple for a product that they have explicitly told you to NOT put on your lap. It is a NOTEBOOK not a LAPTOP.

These MacBooks run hotter than any previous Apple notebook except the Pro. It is a dual processor machine. You don't get dramatic improvements in speed without an increase in heat.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

fox-orian
Jul 19, 2006, 04:17 AM

Honestly, my macbook dosen't bother me at all. It gets to about 82C maximum, and the bottom not even that hot. I can keep the laptop [as I call any foldable computer that can sit on your lap, titled a notebook or otherwise] on my lap at any time plugged in or not without any discomfort. I'll get a warm feeling, but it's not something I'm worrying about lowering my sperm count. I've eaten plates of warmed up food on my lap hotter than the macbook.

One thing I can say about the core duo, it may get hot, but it sure cools down quick, too

I'm somewhat amazed at the temperatures of the macbook. It contains only one small fan in a casing that has only one vent, mutually sharing the northbridge and coreduo chip. I've experienced other current-day laptops with fans that can rival the noise of power tools, and their laptops still run intensely hot in areas.

I mean, in most cases lets face the fact that there are a GOOD number of laptops out there that get awfully toasty. Acer Core Duo laptops get hot similarly to the macbook, so says my *now* ex-girlfriend who just bought one.
I've used a toshiba satellite with a core solo that also gets very hot during high load with two noisy fans.
My ThinkPad T21 with an 800mhz PIII also gets insanely toasty right under the CPU when playing Half-Life or watching a DivX movie, easily rivalling the macbook -- and I recall my thinkpad only has one vent and one fan just like the macbook.

If there's one thing I have to say about the macbook in comparison, at least it has no fan vents on the bottom making me worry if I'm obstructing them with my pants.

Which reminds me -- if your macbook is still too hot to handle, then get an iLap notebook stand for your desk/lap. Keeps your notebook cooler and raised for better ergonomics -- your neck would thank you someday.

hatim  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2006, 01:00 PM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ighlight=whine

Is there a similar fix for the macbook? The whine really bothers me and want to get it fixed.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by 24klogos
its gotta be the global warming thing, back in my day computers used to run cooler.
lol, so true.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dillon-K
If you don't like macs get the hell out.
We wouldn't want any more disruptions while preaching the holy gospel according to Steve, now would we?

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Macpilot
You can't sue Apple for a product that they have explicitly told you to NOT put on your lap. It is a NOTEBOOK not a LAPTOP.
Yeah, and that's why the marketing suits had to scramble:

My PowerBook runs between 47C-52C under load running either OS X or Ubuntu. My girlfriend's iBook G4 runs at 48C; her spare Dell Inspiron runs at 25C...maybe 32C under heavy loads.

I don't know of a single notebook computer that cannot be placed on the lap except for Apple's new line of toasters. It is inexcusable to say the least.

ratherfish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 04:20 PM

I'm sincerely trying to decide if the temperature thing would be an issue for me. I travel on airlines all the time. An airline fuel saving technique is to leave the A/C off while at the gate. This leaves the cabin hot and stuffy. In one of these pleasant situations, would the heat from a macbook sitting on a tray table bother the user or others sitting next to him?

Thanks

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 08:45 PM

anybody who have actually burnt themselves with a MacBook is retarded
anybody who thinks they can sue apple for burns is beyond retarded
somebody lock this thread
Signature depreciated.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2006, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by ratherfish
I'm sincerely trying to decide if the temperature thing would be an issue for me. I travel on airlines all the time. An airline fuel saving technique is to leave the A/C off while at the gate. This leaves the cabin hot and stuffy. In one of these pleasant situations, would the heat from a macbook sitting on a tray table bother the user or others sitting next to him?

Thanks
Dude, it's not a hair dryer. It's not going to bother anyone if kept on a flat surface.

ratherfish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 10:55 AM

Thanks Dude

Forum Links
Forum Rules