Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best web site to produce a blog?

Best web site to produce a blog?
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 01:26 PM

Title speaks for itself, any recomendation on sites specialized in blogs?

Thanks
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24ยจ, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2006, 02:25 PM

if you want to use a hosted service to produce your blog, meaning you don't want to use your own server to run software such as Movable Type or Wordpress, then Blogger and Typepad are both good solutions.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2006, 02:30 PM

You found it!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2006, 02:45 PM

Blogger is my favourite.

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2006, 08:14 PM

Blogger is really easy to use and quite functional.

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
if you want to use a hosted service to produce your blog, meaning you don't want to use your own server to run software such as Movable Type or Wordpress, then Blogger and Typepad are both good solutions.
Although WordPress now has http://www.wordpress.com/ as a blog-hosting service, so you can enjoy the awesomeness of WordPress without having to have your own hoster.

historylme
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
You found it!

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
Blogger is really easy to use and quite functional.
The problem with Blogger is that there's no current way to backup your blog. With MovableType, there's an export function so that you can backup your blog into a TXT file which you can later import in case something happens.

I've been trying out different blog methods and nothing's perfect.

MovableType - not easy to install if you don't know your way around a UNIX system. Once it's up, it runs very well. Easy to back up. Can't find a lot of skins for it.

Blogger - easy to set up, easy to use. Some functionality is hidden. No way to backup your blog. The closest you can come to it is emailing your blog entries to yourself and using them as your "backup". You can submit blogs from anywhere via email which is very nice.

iWeb - Nice, but the problem is that if you're in multiple locations, you can't update your blog.

Web-based blogs seem to be the best solution since you can blog from anywhere.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2007, 12:41 PM

if you use blogger on your own site; you have backups. you mean when hosted on their own url space you can't back it up?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2007, 01:24 PM

^^ At first I thought you were on crack. "Your own site?". I did more research into Blogger and you're right, you can use it on your own site. However, if you use Blogger's URL, you have no backups. Sucks.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2007, 01:32 PM

yeah, your own site

but not on their URL's seems odd, very odd.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
^^ At first I thought you were on crack. "Your own site?". I did more research into Blogger and you're right, you can use it on your own site. However, if you use Blogger's URL, you have no backups. Sucks.
However, you can backup your template which is nice if you've highly modified it like I have mine. I have two Blogger blogs and I love them.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2007, 01:50 PM

There's also an issue of content ownership which people should be aware of when using sites like Blogger.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2007, 03:20 PM

MySpace !

Seriously though.

-t

andi*pandi
Jan 3, 2007, 03:33 PM

no one has said livejournal yet?

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2007, 04:08 PM

Probably cause live journal freaking sucks I have a few friends with live journals and it's like... just get a freaking blogger blog!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Probably cause live journal freaking sucks I have a few friends with live journals and it's like... just get a freaking blogger blog!
Bah. I've had a LiveJournal since 2001. It's nice knowing that there is at least part of my online "life" that Google hasn't conquered.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2007, 09:40 PM

Bah. If I want to keep my private life private, I just don't post or blog it. Don't blame Google. Duh !

-t

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Bah. I've had a LiveJournal since 2001. It's nice knowing that there is at least part of my online "life" that Google hasn't conquered.
That's why I have a flickr page haha. Actually I confess I decided to try Picasa... which on some levels I like... the icon for the service annoys me actually. I like that they have a plugin for iPhoto, Flickr unfortunately refuses to make their own and is letting some guy charge an arm and a leg for a plugin which I refuse to pay that much for (OK I'm really bad for buying shareware ever anyway) and they haven't made a universal version of Uploadr either. I love the fact that I can have an RSS feed of my photos in Picasa, really wish that feature were in Flickr.
I'm a lil frustrated that Flickr is a Yahoo! property since I'm not a fan of Yahoo! at all. But I just love the feel of Flickr, also that I get to upload as many photos as I want, I just can't see the ones that are more than 250 which is fine since all of those aren't that good anyway haha.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2007, 09:54 PM

The problem with Blogger is that there's no current way to backup your blog. With MovableType, there's an export function so that you can backup your blog into a TXT file which you can later import in case something happens.
Unless something has changed, all you have to do for Blogger is set the maximum posts displayed on each page to an arbitrarily high number (I believe you can do it in the template code). Cut, paste into TextWrangler, format as necessary, import into Journler, Word, Excel, whatever else.

LiveJournal had security controls long before Blogger, as well as a really nice RSS-type feature (the friends list) I still had a Blogger blog when I registered on LiveJournal, and the ability to lock posts from my family, certain friends, total strangers, etc, was very nice. LiveJournal, however, has no good backup feature. You can only export to XML or CSV one month at a time, which can take forever for a journal with more than a year or two of posts.

Also, back when LJ still required invitation codes to open a journal, people had a superiority complex about it (e.g. I'm an Early Adopter and you're not, neener neener neener). LJ breeds emo, Dashboard Confessional-quoting, big-sunglassed, crappy-haired high schoolers who can't shut up, so, yeah. It's a culture of its own, I guess.

Journler is a really excellent journaling client if you want to keep a private journal. It also has support for Blogger and LiveJournal.

Just my two and a half cents.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Bah. If I want to keep my private life private, I just don't post or blog it. Don't blame Google. Duh !

-t
I wasn't complaining about Google invading my privacy. Just the explosion of Google-owned web services in the last few years.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2007, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
LJ breeds emo, Dashboard Confessional-quoting, big-sunglassed, crappy-haired high schoolers who can't shut up, so, yeah. It's a culture of its own, I guess.
Oh, you should check out DeadJournal then. Now that's emo.

andi*pandi
Jan 3, 2007, 11:40 PM

I like that they have a plugin for iPhoto, Flickr unfortunately refuses to make their own and is letting some guy charge an arm and a leg for a plugin which I refuse to pay that much for (OK I'm really bad for buying shareware ever anyway)
I willingly and quite happily paid the man. It's a good plugin. It's also nice that I can blog a photo from flickr right into livejournal easy-peasy.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2007, 03:49 AM

I just keep an extra icon in my dock and drag the photos to Uploadr. Or if it's just one I use Fidgit.

That said I don't like how Flickr and Blogger don't use the same CSS when I blog images, and if I go to edit it later in Blogger I get a crap load of tags and stuff. Therefore I just copy the URL and use it that way.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Oh, you should check out DeadJournal then. Now that's emo.
Ahaha I know. I think that any blogging site based on the open-source LiveJournal API breeds little kids. You lose street cred trying to do anything professional or legitimate on a LiveJournal.

I reopened my Blogger account for that very reason, but now I can't think of anything to write...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2007, 11:00 AM

So, I've been playing with Blogger. Damn, this needs to get fixed.

First off, some of the templates are nice, but most of them are sh*t. What's worse is that there are no tools to modify the templates. Yes, _I_ know how, but most people don't. So, if you want to change that maroon to sea green, unless you know HTML/CSS, you can't.

What's worse is that I found that Blogger's templates don't like it when you color outside the lines. What I mean by that is if you post an image or even text that goes past the right side of your alloted width, it bleeds, and if your sidebar's on the right, the sidebar covers what bleeds. I don't like being restricted like that. Now, going back to my point above, there's nothing to say "make the width of the body in this template 100 pixels wider". I've been playing with the CSS for 20 minutes and I KNOW CSS and HTML and I just can't get it right. Even still, I'd want my body width to adjust to my content, that's the POINT of CSS in the first place!

So Blogger, as convenient as it is, still sucks. At least for me.

So I was going to go back to MovableType, but I can't find templates for it at all. That means making my own CSS. Eh, I can do it, I just don't have time to so the site looks terribly boring.

I was going to use iWeb, but you can't modify a blog from two different locations. Sucks.

So here's what I'd like:

1) Accessable from the web.
2) Easily modifyable templates.
3) Easy uploads of images (eg: Blogger).
4) Backup, backup, backup!

Ideas?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2007, 12:23 PM

So here's what I'd like:

1) Accessable from the web.
2) Easily modifyable templates.
3) Easy uploads of images (eg: Blogger).
4) Backup, backup, backup!

Ideas?

WordPress does it all. And it's free.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2007, 01:39 PM

I just retried wordpress. It does NOT allow me to upload an image, just link an image's URL.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2007, 01:47 PM

I just retried wordpress. It does NOT allow me to upload an image, just link an image's URL.
There are tons of free plug-ins that allow just that.
AFAIK, the latest version of WordPress comes with that as a built-in functionality.

Are you on your own server, or are you using WordPress.com ?

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2007, 02:02 PM

Wordpress.com

When I click on the image icon, I get a popup box that only gives me a URL to enter in, no way to browse my hard drive.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2007, 02:17 PM

Can you install plugins ?

There are dozens that do pics and attachments handling.

I don't know about WordPress.com, as I run it of my own server.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 11:22 AM

Ok, I've been playing with Blogger and Wordpress the last few days.

Blogger is "blogging for dummies" which is more or less what I need. I've been doing web work since the days of Mosaic, but for blogging I don't need ubercomplicated crap; just a place to type and upload images. Blogger does that pretty well, and since I moved it to my own server, I have backups.

Wordpress is equally as good, but falls short in ease of use and the goofy, large serif and sans serif type in the dashboard makes it difficult to read. What Wordpress has as an advantage is the large array of custom templates available to it.

At first I was going to go with Wordpress, but then something happened that's been bugging the crap out of me. When I upload an image to Wordpress, by default it uses that image's thumbnail. What's worse is that if I tell it to use the original size, it scales it WAY down anyway. I don't even remember how I did it, but I eventually got an image in the editor in the size I wanted it to be in. Blogger automagically puts a link on your blog that fits the page, and if you click on it, THEN you get the larger image. I like that a LOT. Can Wordpress do this? If it can't then I'll have to go with Blogger.

EDIT: I just tried the WYSIWYG editor from Blogger on Safari. Well, there is none. Apparantly the mechanism to do that doesn't work with Safari on the Mac. Trying Firefox. EDIT: Firefox works.

/sigh
( Last edited by starman; Jan 12, 2007 at 11:36 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 11:49 AM

You can do this, at least in 2.x

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 11:52 AM

Ok, I've been playing with Blogger and Wordpress the last few days.

Blogger is "blogging for dummies" which is more or less what I need. I've been doing web work since the days of Mosaic, but for blogging I don't need ubercomplicated crap; just a place to type and upload images. Blogger does that pretty well, and since I moved it to my own server, I have backups.

Wordpress is equally as good, but falls short in ease of use and the goofy, large serif and sans serif type in the dashboard makes it difficult to read. What Wordpress has as an advantage is the large array of custom templates available to it.

At first I was going to go with Wordpress, but then something happened that's been bugging the crap out of me. When I upload an image to Wordpress, by default it uses that image's thumbnail. What's worse is that if I tell it to use the original size, it scales it WAY down anyway. I don't even remember how I did it, but I eventually got an image in the editor in the size I wanted it to be in. Blogger automagically puts a link on your blog that fits the page, and if you click on it, THEN you get the larger image. I like that a LOT. Can Wordpress do this? If it can't then I'll have to go with Blogger.

EDIT: I just tried the WYSIWYG editor from Blogger on Safari. Well, there is none. Apparantly the mechanism to do that doesn't work with Safari on the Mac. Trying Firefox. EDIT: Firefox works.

/sigh

The WYSIWYG editor now works in Safari ini WP 2.0.6, I believe.

On a different note, has anybody here played with Google Docs and Spreadsheets?

http://writely.com

Any comments?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2007, 01:43 PM

Just as I was about to pick one....

Now I have another issue. I can't find a solution to this in Blogger or WP, but I can do it in MT. I'd like the ability to have several different blogs. Like, one main one, a photos one, an art one, etc. MT does this easily, but Blogger and WP don't seem to do this at all. Suggestions?

as2
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 01:58 PM

Doesn't the Apple iWeb app allow you to have multiple blogs?

I use nucleus on my own host so dont really know about others that provide hosting
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2007, 02:00 PM

Just as I was about to pick one....

Now I have another issue. I can't find a solution to this in Blogger or WP, but I can do it in MT. I'd like the ability to have several different blogs. Like, one main one, a photos one, an art one, etc. MT does this easily, but Blogger and WP don't seem to do this at all. Suggestions?

WP will allow you to work with several different blogs with a very minor tweak as long as you have the ability to create new databases. Otherwise, you can separate everything out by category and only display content belonging to your photos category, for instance, which is another way to achieve this sort of logical separation.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 09:56 AM

Hey guys I've just set up a WordPress blog. Can anyone refer me to some nice, clean (and free) templates for WordPress, please? Thank you so much.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan View Post
Hey guys I've just set up a WordPress blog. Can anyone refer me to some nice, clean (and free) templates for WordPress, please? Thank you so much.
There are a ton linked off of one of the WordPress pages... Just Google them, you should have no problems finding tons.

Forum Links
Forum Rules