Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Now people are complaining about free stuff

Now people are complaining about free stuff
starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2014, 02:58 PM

Apple gave everyone a free U2 album, putting it in their libraries.

And people lost their collective s*.

Have we become a society of complainers? Seriously, it's a *free album*. 15 years ago the internet was fighting for legal MP3s and now they're being given away. What happened in those 15 years? Have people become that cynical?

And don't give me this "invasive" crap. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Ignore it. Delete it. It's not like Apple dropped a WuTang or NWA album on us.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 16, 2014, 03:02 PM

The U2 album was as useful as the paper phone book they deliver to your door every year. Only apple shoved the album into our libraries like the phone company shoving the phone book into our bookcase. Bugger off with that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2014, 03:49 PM

I have trouble thinking of a more self-indulgent, “first world problem” than saying “I hate this free new album I’ve been given.”
NSFW: Apple, U2 and looking a gift horse in the mouth | iMore

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2014, 05:13 PM

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2014, 05:16 PM

Yeah, that image is all wrong.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The U2 album was as useful as the paper phone book they deliver to your door every year. Only apple shoved the album into our libraries like the phone company shoving the phone book into our bookcase. Bugger off with that.
My thoughts exactly. Giving the album away for free is not the same thing as inserting into my iTunes library even though I can't ****ing stand U2.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2014, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Yeah, that image is all wrong.
Yet I was still entertained by it.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2014, 05:22 PM

Oh boo hoo you all got free sh*t you didn't want.

Such a first world problem. I can't even...

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2014, 05:22 PM

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2014, 05:28 PM

BTW: Ultraviolet gave me a free movie I didn't want. They put it in my library. I didn't complain about that.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2014, 05:30 PM

I don't use shitty iTunes or an iPhone, so I won't be getting anything. Still a stupid move automatically adding an album to people's music libraries they might not want, of course expecting you to see any fault in any Apple decision is a pipe dream.

Edit: My first Galaxy S came pre-loaded with Avatar, I ****ing hated that too, useless waste of space I never asked for.

andi*pandi
Sep 16, 2014, 05:36 PM

Free album, score.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2014, 05:41 PM

A lot of people seem to hate Bono. I don't really have a problem with him, I quite like U2 but I can see why people are irked by him.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2014, 05:49 PM

I hate shepherd's pie.

Someone knocks on my door with a big plate of shepherd's pie and says "here you go, free meal I'll just leave this here"

"Uhh I hate shepherd's pie and I don't want this", I exclaim.

"Oh my god! It's a free meal, people are starving and you don't want a free meal, first world problems amirite?"

Who's the dick in this situation?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2014, 06:21 PM

This! If one doesn't care for U2 it's an annoyance easily solved with a minute or two of effort. It just ain't that deep!

OAW

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2014, 03:40 AM

Wouldn't it have been easier to propose a download instead of actually pushing it to all iTunes users?

Sorry, but I agree about not wanting Apple, or MS, or Samsung etc placing something without my permission onto my hard drive. Should be considered illegal - and why isn't it?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2014, 04:32 AM

Some people are angry that it shows up in their purchased list. Not even downloaded.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 08:41 AM

You're repeating yourself. You're not responding to my points.

andi*pandi
Sep 17, 2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I hate shepherd's pie.

Someone knocks on my door with a big plate of shepherd's pie and says "here you go, free meal I'll just leave this here"

"Uhh I hate shepherd's pie and I don't want this", I exclaim.

"Oh my god! It's a free meal, people are starving and you don't want a free meal, first world problems amirite?"

Who's the dick in this situation?
Well, in that situation, a person leaving unwanted food around would be a jerk, because presumably it would be a waste and they should just give it to the starving people.

However, I don't think this analogy works, as a) this music is not going to waste if you don't listen to it, and b) there's plenty of free U2 to go around so no one is starving.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 09:01 AM

That album didn't suck balls.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2014, 09:15 AM

/thread
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 17, 2014, 12:30 PM

If you didn't have 'Automatic Downloads' on in the first place, you'd be hard pressed to even notice it was given to you.
It takes all of 10 seconds to remove. I agree with the OP, people just like to complain.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
If you didn't have 'Automatic Downloads' on in the first place, you'd be hard pressed to even notice it was given to you.
Why wouldn't you have the feature turned on?

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
It takes all of 10 seconds to remove. I agree with the OP, people just like to complain.
Apple had to release an app to properly remove it. Not 'simple.'

akent35
Banned
Sep 17, 2014, 01:32 PM

Why wouldn't you have the feature turned on?
Because I want to decide what to download, and when. It's the same with software for me. I decide what to download, and when. I don't need unwanted and/or useless stuff automatically downloaded.

An update to the Mac OS is a perfect example. I insist on using the Combo Updater, and AFAIK, that will not automatically be downloaded. The "normal" updater will. That one does me little to no good.

Apple had to release an app to properly remove it. Not 'simple.'
Yeah, talk about making life difficult! mattyb says it best:

"Wouldn't it have been easier to propose a download instead of actually pushing it to all iTunes users?

Sorry, but I agree about not wanting Apple, or MS, or Samsung etc placing something without my permission onto my hard drive. Should be considered illegal - and why isn't it? "

Exactly!

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 01:51 PM

Illegal? How should it be illegal? Christ, just delete it or ignore it if you don't want it.

akent35
Banned
Sep 17, 2014, 02:00 PM

Illegal? How should it be illegal? Christ, just delete it or ignore it if you don't want it.
Christ, it's the obtrusive way they did it. Read what mattyb said. It is correct.

I must be the one to make the choice whether I want it or not. It cannot be automatically added to any of my accounts, plain and simple!

It's a similar circumstance with making bill payments. For me, I only allow 3 companies to do that, as they can be trusted. Also, I get notified by each of them at least 3 weeks in advance of when they will make the withdrawal from the applicable account.

For most other companies, I use my bank's Bill Pay system (Wells Fargo) to make the payments when I want to. It's free, reliable, and easy to use.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
Because I want to decide what to download, and when.
It's for songs you've purchased. Presumably, anything you've purchased you'd want to download.

It's nothing like software updates, because those are neither purchased nor recreational.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2014, 02:25 PM

I don't have Automatic Download turned on for a number of reasons, one of which is that I like to control what gets downloaded to different devices. My iPad has 16GB, my iPhone has 64...but I don't necessarily want everything in my library on either device.

I think adding this album to everyone's libraries was UNobtrusive in the extreme - until people started noticing it was there, anyway. It just sort of shows up, without a dialog that says "here's a free album, do you want it?" It's just there and anyone who has Automatic Download turned on suddenly HAS it. Bad idea, Apple. It makes customers think "what else are they sneaking in when I'm not looking?"

On the other hand, I don't think there's any real comparison between "stuff in your iTunes Library" and "stuff that happens with your bank account." As long as there's no charge for it, I think adding this album is not a Bad Thing. Not that it's a Good Thing, the way they did it.

It's important to keep in mind that Apple considers your iTunes Library "theirs." It's not quite blatantly stated that way, but check out sections in the Terms of Service like Use of Content and Usage Rules... They seem to be essentially saying that you're welcome to pay for access to stuff, but since they can change the rules at any time (that is spelled out specifically), and change your access to that stuff whenever they want, it really isn't yours, you've just paid for access to it as long as Apple is OK with it. Everybody DOES actually at least skim through those Terms of Service things, right? Kinda a good idea to do that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 17, 2014, 02:26 PM

It's nothing like software updates, because those are neither purchased nor recreational.
Speak for yourself - I can't imagine a better Friday night than cracking open a beer and installing Security Update 2014-002.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 17, 2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Bad idea, Apple. It makes customers think "what else are they sneaking in when I'm not looking?"
Is it weird that people are on the brink of rioting over Apple putting an album in their iTunes libraries for free, but no one seems to give a shit about DROPOUTJEEP.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Speak for yourself - I can't imagine a better Friday night than cracking open a beer and installing Security Update 2014-002.
"Honey, come see what Apple gave us for free!"

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
On the other hand, I don't think there's any real comparison between "stuff in your iTunes Library" and "stuff that happens with your bank account." As long as there's no charge for it, I think adding this album is not a Bad Thing. Not that it's a Good Thing, the way they did it.
It's like people aren't reading the thread:
No one would be ok with Apple going into their house and putting U2s albums with the rest of their CDs. It's not about security, it's about privacy. People thought it was their music library.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2014, 04:31 PM

"Honey, come see what Apple gave us for free!"

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by akent35 View Post
Christ, it's the obtrusive way they did it. Read what mattyb said. It is correct.

I must be the one to make the choice whether I want it or not. It cannot be automatically added to any of my accounts, plain and simple!

It's a similar circumstance with making bill payments. For me, I only allow 3 companies to do that, as they can be trusted. Also, I get notified by each of them at least 3 weeks in advance of when they will make the withdrawal from the applicable account.

For most other companies, I use my bank's Bill Pay system (Wells Fargo) to make the payments when I want to. It's free, reliable, and easy to use.
Apples and oranges. It's an album, not a payment system.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 04:38 PM

No one would be ok with Apple going into their house and putting U2s albums with the rest of their CDs. It's not about security, it's about privacy. People thought it was their music library.
This isn't about privacy. Read the Terms.

Also, people forget why we like Apple in the first place. They're the company that stands out higher than all the others. Did we forget that so easily?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 04:41 PM

This isn't about privacy.
It is if you break it down, like I have, several times. Tell me, what's wrong with my example?

Read the Terms.
What do the terms have to do with anything?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 04:45 PM

It is if you break it down, like I have, several times. Tell me, what's wrong with my example?

What do the terms have to do with anything?
The Terms state that Apple can modify your library. You agreed to that. Done.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2014, 04:47 PM

Think of it like a piece of digital junk mail but the equivalent of those ones that send you a free pen.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 04:49 PM

The Terms state that Apple can modify your library. You agreed to that. Done.
EULA? Your rebuttal to an argument about privacy is a legal grey area that is universally known to be too long and legally complex to be reasonably reviewed by the average person?

Do you have a non-legalistic reason as to why it's not ethically dubious? I mean this is just the reverse of the situation of when amazon deleted purchased copies of 1984 off all those kindles and I imagine that was cool with their EULA as well. Doesn't mean it wasn't bullshit. Or do you think that was ok, too?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Think of it like a piece of digital junk mail but the equivalent of those ones that send you a free pen.
Pretty much this.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 04:51 PM

EULA? Your rebuttal to an argument about privacy is a legal grey area that is universally known to be too long and legally complex to be reasonably reviewed by the average person?

Do you have a reason why it's no ethically dubious? I mean this is just the reverse of the situation of when amazon deleted purchased copies of 1984 off all those kindle's and I imagine that was cool with their EULA as well. Doesn't mean it wasn't bullshit. Or do you think that was ok, too?
It's not a legal gray area. At all.

Ethically dubious? Apple GAVE YOU A FREE ALBUM. So what?

I can't fathom why people can't accept something gracious. I just can't.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 04:54 PM

It's not a legal gray area. At all.
EULAs aren't legal grey areas? It's constantly argued whether some of their terms aren't even legally enforceable. Much like software patents.

Ethically dubious? Apple GAVE YOU A FREE ALBUM. So what?
You're falling back to the same argument, that because it's free then it's ok. Just because I'm giving you a CD doesn't make it ok to go into your house just because I have the keys.

I repeat:
Do you have a non-legalistic reason as to why it's not ethically dubious?

This is just the reverse of the situation of when amazon deleted purchased copies of 1984 off all those kindles and I imagine that was cool with their EULA as well; Do you think that was ok?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 04:56 PM

Amazon didn't have rights to that book, so they deleted it, and rightfully so. Addition != subtraction.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 05:02 PM

Amazon didn't have rights to that book, so they deleted it
The people already bought the book and had it on their devices. It's not like if a counterfeiter sells me something the a company has a right to come into my house and take it back.

and rightfully so.
So rightfully so that they admitted they made a mistake and promised not to do it again.

Addition != subtraction.
Yes, yes, your free shit argument. And I'll repeat that it's the unfettered access that is the issue at heart. Let go of the price argument – it's completely beside the point.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 05:05 PM

The people already bought the book and had it on their devices. It's not like if a counterfeiter sells me something the a company has a right to come into my house and take it back.
This is the digital age. Get used to it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/te.../18amazon.html

An Amazon spokesman, Drew Herdener, said in an e-mail message that the books were added to the Kindle store by a company that did not have rights to them, using a self-service function. “When we were notified of this by the rights holder, we removed the illegal copies from our systems and from customers’ devices, and refunded customers,” he said.
So the copies were deleted and the money refunded. Where is the problem here?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 17, 2014, 05:09 PM

This is the digital age. Get used to it.
That is not a logical argument, either. Now you're just arguing that if people don't like something, too bad.

Where is the problem here?
For one people lost all their annotations.
Others remained bothered by the fact that some of their own work vanished along with the Orwell text. One of the Kindle's highly touted features is the ability to attach notes directly to sections of the text; these did not survive the deletion.
But you must think those people are dumb because they didn't lose any money.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2014, 05:35 PM

How is this relevant to adding an album to your library?

Addition != subtraction.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2014, 06:15 PM

Oh and the reason they made it opt-out instead of opt-in so to speak, was because they wanted to make a fuss about a record breaking album launch or something. Forcing it on people means that U2 'sold' 100M copies in 10 seconds I guess. Making it so people have to go get it means they don't get close to that.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2014, 07:40 PM

I just cannot believe so many people have the time to complain about this.

Don't you have better shit to do?

This is why we can't have nice things - our priorities as a society are so ass backwards that there is more outrage over a free ****ing U2 album than there is about the quickly deteriorating security situation across the ME, with scores upon scores of people being massacred for their religious beliefs.

We seriously deserve what's coming to us. Pull your heads out of your asses, people. I'm not a huge fan of U2 but i can't think of a single way this album showing up in my list has negatively affected me, except for the brain hurt reading some of these responses and the massive superiority complex many folks have developed.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2014, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
I just cannot believe so many people have the time to complain about this.
Even worse, people have time to complain about the people complaining.

Forum Links
Forum Rules