Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Attention to all on this forum: PLEASE READ. Thanks.

Attention to all on this forum: PLEASE READ. Thanks.
PSST
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2003, 02:28 AM

No thanks to the forums. I figured out a FAIR price. But hey thanks for all the help especially to the 78 or so people who read my previous post and never responded.

I want to apologize to anyone I may have offended in the past on the forums, but all of this high and mightiness, and treating me like garbage everytime I post here is really unfair.

But, hey I am being sincere, and apologizing because I'm tired of being treated badly for no reason.

I thought I could share my opinions and views just like anyone else here, and at least be supported by my peers, I guess I was wrong.

PSST

MacMaui
Apr 28, 2003, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by PSST:
No thanks to the forums. I figured out a FAIR price. But hey thanks for all the help especially to the 78 or so people who read my previous post and never responded.

I want to apologize to anyone I may have offended in the past on the forums, but all of this high and mightiness, and treating me like garbage everytime I post here is really unfair.

But, hey I am being sincere, and apologizing because I'm tired of being treated badly for no reason.

I thought I could share my opinions and views just like anyone else here, and at least be supported by my peers, I guess I was wrong.

PSST
C'mon now, maybe no one knew what a fair price would be. It's not an issue of high and mightiness, just ignorance. Nothing personal.

Keep your head up!

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2003, 07:06 AM

Look no-one claimed to provide free valuation services in this forum with a 24 hr turn around.

Your post wasn't there that long, and it would have been answered eventually.

Now tell us all what you decided on?
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 07:47 PM

Who cares what people on this board think of you or how they respond to your posts? Everyone here is a nameless, faceless person on the internet, just like you. Don't take things so personally, you'll be better off in the long run...

Dex13
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Chimpmaster:
Look no-one claimed to provide free valuation services in this forum with a 24 hr turn around.

Your post wasn't there that long, and it would have been answered eventually.

Now tell us all what you decided on?
Exactly

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 10:35 PM

You should have IM'd a mod man, that's what they are here for.

PSST  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2003, 11:32 PM

Thanks everyone.

You too mrjingleusa, I wanted and respect everyone's opinion here, good and bad, for better or worse. I took the post off becasue I just thought that people were going to trash me instead of really helping me out. At the time, I need to make a decision as to what to do with my imac, and the price was a factor. Chimpmaster I know this is not a valuation service, man I'm not that big of a jerk. It's just when you see how many people look at your posts and don't respond, you tend to think that people just don't care what you have to say. Hey, I was attacked once before by someone, and I chose not to answer to them, but you should have seen how 800 or so people wanted to check out if I was going to go down to that person's level. Well, I wasn't. I was a constant reader for over 2 years here and never posted once. Sometimes I think twice about posting because I don't want to be attacked. I don't want to be treated differently, I just want to be treated like everyone else, is that wrong?

Anyway to answer Chimpmaster's question: I settled on $500 dollars for my imac for all of the following:

This is an auction for an APPLE iMac DV SE in GRAPHITE. I purchased this iMac in February 2000 and it is gently used but in like new MINT condition throughout. The specifications are � iMac DV SE � Graphite color (gray translucent) � 400 MHz G3 processor � 100 MHz bus � 512 K L2 cache �� 15" shadow mask CRT display (13.8" visible image size) � Video Card: ATI RAGE 128 VR with 8 MB VRAMʥ�Video Out: VGA (mirror only) � 56K internal modem/fax � 10/100 Base-T ethernet for CABLE MODEMS � (2) FireWire ports � (2) USB ports � Apple Airport capable (card not included) ��sound in/out 16 bit mini � internal Harman Kardon Odissey stereo speakers � built in internal microphone ��front mounted dual mini headphone jacks ��Original Apple USB KEYBOARD with POWER BUTTON on it to start the iMac up from itʥ�Apple Optical Pro mouse. THIS IMAC HAS BEEN UPGRADED BY A CERTIFIED APPLE TECHNICIAN WITH THE FOLLOWING ADDITIONAL UPGRADES: � The MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF TOTAL RAM 1 GB RAM (in 2 RAM MODULES: 512 MB + 512 MB) � 40 GB IBM DESKSTAR INTERNAL HARD DRIVE (7200 RPM) � Apple (Internal) slot-loading CDRW drive 4X8X24 speeds. ALL ORIGINAL INSTALL and software CDs that came with the iMac and documentation such as: ��iMac Software Install (OS 9)ʥ�iMac Software Restore (OS 9) ��World Book Encyclopedia 2 CD's � iMovie � Adobe Pagemill 3.0ʥ Quicken Deluxe 2000 � Kid Pix Delux � Also there's the SOFTWARE on iMac Install CD: AppleWorks 5.0 � Bugdom ��FAXstf 5.0 � Nanosaur � Palm Desktop � America Online 4.0 � EarthLink � Edview Internet Safety Kit � Adobe Type Manager 4.5.2 � Acrobat Reader 4.0 � Disk First Aid. Will also include a copy of TOAST TITANIUM 5.0 on a backed up CD for the CD burner for Mac OS 9.0.4 or APPLE's DISC BURNER can also be used with Mac OS 9.1 and above. This iMac is compatible with every MAC OS system from MAC OS 9 through MAC OS 10.2.5 and beyond. The iMac has NO SCRATCHES on the outer casing, completely MINT with ORIGINAL BOX AND PACKING. EVEN THOUGH THIS MACINTOSH IS BEING SOLD AS-IS, I WILL OFFER A COMPLETE FULL REFUND IF NOT COMPLETELY SATISFIED TO ATTEST TO THE FACT THAT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS IMAC WHATSOEVER, AND TO STAND DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR BY MY WORD. THAT IS MY OWN PERSONAL GUARANTEE FOR THE BUYER OF THIS AUCTION. This iMac has over $800 dollars of ADDITIONAL UPGRADES! I prefer a money order, cashiers check, PayPal (WITH A VERIFIED ADDRESS) or cash. ALL Payments must be cleared BEFORE shipping for mutual protection. Buyer pays shipping. Shipping will be approximately $50.00 via UPS Ground. The iMac will also be shipped with additional insurance for the FULL ORIGINAL AMOUNT of the iMac in this case $1499.00 plus the cost of the additional Upgrades at $838.00 for a total of $2400.00 all with ORIGINAL RECEIPTS for the iMac and receipts of the UPGRADES for the insurance.

Now is $500 dollars worth it or too high?

PSST

MacMaui
Apr 29, 2003, 11:43 PM

"Now is $500 dollars worth it or too high?"

For a nearly 3 year old machine, I'd say $500 is pretty good.

Don't worry about public internet forums, everyone gets attacked every now and then, just the nature of the beast. Also keep in mind that all threads have far far more "views" than "replies". Generally, people want to help and if they know the answer to your question, will provide it. Speculating the price for a 3 year old machine is an inexact science at best.

Keep posting, don't let the knuckle-heads drag you down!

PSST  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 12:05 AM

Thanks MacMaui!

"For a nearly 3 year old machine, I'd say $500 is pretty good."

Even with all the extra upgrades I've got?

Man, I'm sorry for being such a newbie, but figuring all of this out is complicated. I don't want to be one of those pricky people that sells things for enormous prices, even when they have a snowball's chance in hell of getting that price. I hate that. Why waste your time and everyone else's and look like fool. But, on the other hand I wanted a fair price.

Man, I'm learniing something new every day. I'm not afraid to admit it.
I just want to be cool with everyone, and wanted to set the record straight, after all I like reading and posting here.

Thanks everyone. Thanks MacMaui. There's a line in one of U2's songs "Don't let the bastards grind you down..."

Peace everyone.
PSST

PSST  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 12:06 AM

oops

MacMaui
Apr 30, 2003, 12:37 AM

Thanks MacMaui!

"For a nearly 3 year old machine, I'd say $500 is pretty good."

Even with all the extra upgrades I've got?

Man, I'm sorry for being such a newbie, but figuring all of this out is complicated. I don't want to be one of those pricky people that sells things for enormous prices, even when they have a snowball's chance in hell of getting that price. I hate that. Why waste your time and everyone else's and look like fool. But, on the other hand I wanted a fair price.

Man, I'm learniing something new every day. I'm not afraid to admit it.
I just want to be cool with everyone, and wanted to set the record straight, after all I like reading and posting here.

Thanks everyone. Thanks MacMaui. There's a line in one of U2's songs "Don't let the bastards grind you down..."

Peace everyone.
PSST
Unfortunately, computers are terrible investments. The top of the line today will be at the bottom of the barrel w/in a few years and virtually worthless.

You have to look at in terms of what can someone buy new today instead of "I put $2400 into this thing." $999 gets you a G4 700mhz, 17" eMac w/combo drive (40 GB HD,) and 32MB of vram on a more modern video card. And there's talk that the soon the eMac will go 1ghz G4 at that price. Aftermarket ram is dirt cheap these days.

Until recently, Apple was selling brand new G3 imacs for $799 and you can probably still find them for that, or less, on the net.

Yours is a G3 400mhz, 3 years old, with a very limited remaining lifespan. If the price was close, which would you pick? The new one of course, it wouldn't be a difficult decision.

If you can get $500, be very happy.

From a purely economic perspective, there's something to be said for buying low end computers. That way, when they lose value, there's not that far to fall

Take Care!

PSST  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 01:10 AM

Hey MacMaui,

"If you can get $500, be very happy."

Trust me, I'll be VERY happy, I'll take whatever I can get!

What I meant was is $500 dollars a good price with all the upgrades?

I hope so....

PSST

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 01:38 AM

If you get $500 for that you'll be doing well. Despite the upgrades it's still a 3-year-old computer with a 400 MHz G3 processor, just 8 MB of graphics memory and a smallish CRT display.

It's a fair price to start from, though.

MacMaui
Apr 30, 2003, 04:44 AM

Hey MacMaui,

"If you can get $500, be very happy."

Trust me, I'll be VERY happy, I'll take whatever I can get!

I hope so....

PSST
s

It'll be a good price for you. Unfortunately, the upgrades don't mean that much at this point because the machine is so old. A G3 400mhz w/8MB of vram is still a G3 400mhz w/8MB of vram no matter what you've spent on your upgrades The ancient processor becomes a bottleneck any way you slice it.

You could search ebay and the net to see what similiar machines are selling for to get a better idea.

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 07:56 AM

Id say about $400 US after having a good think about it. $450 tops.

People are selling Blueberry ibooks (probably a year older, g3 300mhz, 4mb vram) for about that price; i reckon yours is worth about the same as one of those.

You may get more on a trade in.

Ebay is probably your best option.

Otherwise keep it as a spare machine.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

PSST  (op)
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 12:34 AM

Thanks MacMaui...
Thanks Chimpmaster...

Chimpmaster, thanks for all of the helpful insight, but I did put it up on EBAY, last Sunday here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2725921059

I have been look around that the auctions and for $425 was a G3/400 iMac pretty close to stock with 384MB of RAM 10 GB HD, DVD with identical specs to mine.

See it here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4603

Another for $450 Grape iMac, 128mb/10 GB HD/dvd/ no apple keyboard or mouse and worthless software, here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4603

I would be ashamed to charge anyone for, much less include with a computer.

My grandma would probably use the CD's as COASTERS!!!

No apple OS CD's, wonder what happens if ever had to do a reinstall....

This is FRUSTRATING as hell... I keep telling myself that what doesn't KILL you make you STRONGER!

I'm trying to figure this out from another angle than my own:

- isn't 1 GIG of RAM good for OS X?
- I think most people woould rather have a CD burner over a DVD player, seems to me more useful, and a better value.
- The issue of the hard drive, well I think that pointless to even discuss, a 4400 rpm CRAP stock Apple Hard drive that makes more noise than storing data over a 7200 RPM HARD DRIVE.

I'm seriously thinking of canceling the listing from EBAY, though.

I called to two different Apple resellers in town and they quoted me $400, but one told me that's all she was authorized to give me although she said the company would probably turn around and resell it at $550 or $600, but she felt confident that if I put my iMac in the open market, I could get at least $550.

-ICNI has the slot loading CDRW drive for $225.00
HERE:
http://excalibur.icni.com:80/icni/de...0R5AQNS4S1DQJF

-Hard drives are easily $100-150
(I just put one in my TAM, even though it was a notebook drive)

-My Apple Certified Technicians is $79 dollars an hour for repair out of warrantee
(outside of Applecare after it has expired)

What does a 1 GB of RAM goes for these days???

I checked RAMSEEKER $67-$90 for ONE 512 chip so $140-180 for 2 chips.

Don't most resellers charge more for a keyboard and mouse?

MACRESQ has this:
used 400, 128/13/DVD, graphite, $499.99

POWERMAX has this:
used 400, 128/10/DVD, blueberry, $619

I got these prices on lowendmac here:

http://www.lowendmac.com/imac/ideals.html#slot

So, I'm not trying to be an uppity prick but would it seem $500 for my iMac would be CHEAP by comparison???

So is it OVERPRICED?? Man, I'm not GREEDY!

Let me know guys. Thanks.
PSST

P.S. I'm seriously thinking of canceling the listing from EBAY, though. What do you think???
( Last edited by PSST; May 1, 2003 at 01:08 AM. )

MacMaui
May 1, 2003, 01:14 AM

PSST,

There's no right or wrong to it, if you can get more, go for it.

Personally, I would not pay $600 for a 3 year old imac no matter what upgrades it had on it. Not sure I'd pay $400. But that's just me and you aren't selling to me

A shop may sell it for $600 but keep in mind they have over-head to deal with and must stand by their product to a greater degree than joe blow the ebay seller. In theory, the customer is going to have greater confidence buying it from a Mac shop than from a stranger off the net, thus you need to factor that into your price.

Isn't your ebay listing an auction? Let it go to the highest bidder, maybe you'll get $1000

PSST  (op)
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 01:38 AM

Thanks MacMaui:

Man, I need a stiff DRINK! I don't think I'll be doing this ever again, if ever.

So my dilema is now do I take the $400 I can get from the reseller, and end this,

Or do I let the Ebay auction go on and see if I can break the $500 price for my reserve on the ebay? But, then I lose $15 dollars for listing the auction in the first place, if it doesn't break the reserve price?

Hell, what would you do???? ANYONE???

Thanks man, and thanks everybody.
PSST
( Last edited by PSST; May 1, 2003 at 01:47 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules