Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > New to Graphic Design, what machine ?

New to Graphic Design, what machine ?
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2003, 08:42 AM

The topic says it all. I've just started taking classes in Graphic Design. I know that a couple of my classes will be using Quark 4. I know that program runs in OS 9, nad maybe in X under Classic mode. My question is I'm getting ready to purchase a new mac (all of my classes use it). What machine should I be looking for ? Would an older G4 (500 - 800) do what I need, or should I try to scrape together the money to get a 1ghz from the Apple store ?

Thanks,
cSurfr

gadster
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 09:37 AM

I am using a G4 500 (700 odd mb RAM) at work with OS9.04 (!). It does the job for me except it's a bit slow distilling BIG jobs and especially when I open a quark doc that I don't have the fonts for.

It will crash about once every 3 days. I leave it sleeping at night, so when I start work I don't have to restart and relaunch all the apps i use (normally about 10 different apps).

Explorer
Quark Xpress
Photoshop
Illustrator
Word
Transmit
Outlook Express
CD Finder
Toast
Acrobat
Distiller
Palm Desktop

The trick is, when you do crash. restart, then restart AGAIN. (ie: get a clean restart before starting work again.)

That would be a good cheap starting point for a new designer.

The only prob with 9.04 is that it doesn't purge temp files efficiently, but there is a thing you can get from Version Tracker that will do that (I have only used it once in 1.5 years).

When you start to make some money, get thee a G5.

Enjoy!

PS: I use OS X exclusively at home. No classic.
e-gads

andi*pandi
Jun 27, 2003, 10:15 AM

for just starting out, you don't need a brand new mac. an old blue and white G3 would even work, or an old iMac can run quark fine. Ebay is your friend.

Photoshop ups the ante for usage needs a little, but even my old bondi iMac can run Photoshop 5.5 with no problems. If you want a big monitor, get the BW G3 and a nicer new monitor.

use the money you save for extra RAM and legal copies of your apps.

Run at least 9.04, if not 9.1.

italiano
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2003, 07:30 AM

I agree - I run it all on a B/W G3-550 (upgraded the chip), 1-gig of SDRAM and a Radeon ME - everything works great! Quark 6 probably would but I'm now an INDESIGN 2.0 man - screw quark - I can use 5 for any conversions.
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

gadster
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
for just starting out, you don't need a brand new mac. an old blue and white G3 would even work, or an old iMac can run quark fine. Ebay is your friend.

Photoshop ups the ante for usage needs a little, but even my old bondi iMac can run Photoshop 5.5 with no problems. If you want a big monitor, get the BW G3 and a nicer new monitor.

use the money you save for extra RAM and legal copies of your apps.

Run at least 9.04, if not 9.1.
That's one of the really nice things about Macs - they last. We have 1994 machines at work, still in service.

That would be an interesting thing to measure (in terms of market share).
e-gads

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2003, 08:18 AM

Thanks for all of the responses. I do have on more question though. Dual monitors, (17") or One Widescreen display ? Which will give more bang for the buck ?

Thanks
cS

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2003, 01:28 PM

for the last time, LCDs suck for print work, and dual CRT's kick the **** out of a single monitor any day of the week.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2003, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by godzookie2k:
for the last time, LCDs suck for print work, and dual CRT's kick the **** out of a single monitor any day of the week.
What about a widescreen CRT ?

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
What about a widescreen CRT ?
TWO widescreen CTRs !!!
There is no spoon

andi*pandi
Jul 7, 2003, 10:15 AM

hey, if you have all this money as a student for dual monitors, pass some this way.

Really. I should force you to design on an SE screen until you earn your duallies! Using MacPaint!

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
hey, if you have all this money as a student for dual monitors, pass some this way.

Really. I should force you to design on an SE screen until you earn your duallies! Using MacPaint!

lol. Being a student is not my primary occupation. I am simply taking these classes as a new hobby or possible career switch. I was just asking what kind of display's would suit me better as far as picture and such. LCD's are great, because of the space savings. I guess CRT's are better for what I want to do.

desvenne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2003, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
The topic says it all. I've just started taking classes in Graphic Design. I know that a couple of my classes will be using Quark 4. I know that program runs in OS 9, nad maybe in X under Classic mode. My question is I'm getting ready to purchase a new mac (all of my classes use it). What machine should I be looking for ? Would an older G4 (500 - 800) do what I need, or should I try to scrape together the money to get a 1ghz from the Apple store ?

Thanks,
cSurfr
I still run Quark Xpress 3.32 on my 8200 Mac under OS 9 without any complaints. So anything more recent than that, with ample RAM (this one has 512 MB) should be fine for running Quark 3 and/or 4.

Cheers, and have fun in class

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2003, 03:05 PM

I wouldn't even bother to consider purchasing a Mac unless you get the dual G5 2 Ghz system with dual 23" Apple flat screens.

The G4 is so pre- July 2003...

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I wouldn't even bother to consider purchasing a Mac unless you get the dual G5 2 Ghz system with dual 23" Apple flat screens.

The G4 is so pre- July 2003...
snob
There is no spoon

Yose
Senior User
Jul 13, 2003, 01:46 PM

I bit the bullet last year and bought a PB 667 DVI and it's been the best thing for school. The screen size is a bit of pain when you really get into your work but you can always hookup an external monitor, that also takes care of the "colour issues" people have with LCDs.

Having your own computer wih you when you need it is great, I wouldn't trade it in for anything less than a G5.

G'luck!
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Forum Links
Forum Rules