Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > upgrading from 8.6 and 9.1?

upgrading from 8.6 and 9.1?
Memphis_Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 11:26 AM

My sister and I both have iMacs (Rev. B, I think. Mine is the Graphite DVSE and she's got the grape one).

Anyway, we're both running older operating systems. I know you could upgrade (via 9.2) to Jaguar. Does anybody know how all this will shake out with Panther? Can I go from 8.6/9.1 to 9.2 to Panther?
Will I have to go to Jaguar first?
What's the plan here?

Thanks,

Brian

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 8, 2003, 11:36 AM

Classic versions of the Mac OS (8.6/9.2) have little to do with Mac OS X. You need Mac OS 9.2 if you wan to use Classic within Mac OS X, but as far as installing OS X, the existence of Classic does not matter.

If you buy Panther, you will be able to install it without first installing anything else. You only need Jaguar if you get Panther Upgrade CDs, but you cannot get Panther upgrade CDs for your iMacs.

Memphis_Mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 02:24 PM

Gotcha.

After digging further through the Apple site, it looks like the OS <10 transition to Panther is the same as it was for Jaguar.

Buy a copy of Panther and fill out a form to receive a copy of 9.2 for $20. Upgrade to 9.2, then go straight to Panther.

Brian

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by Memphis_Mac:
Buy a copy of Panther and fill out a form to receive a copy of 9.2 for $20. Upgrade to 9.2, then go straight to Panther
What? You don't need 9.2 to install Panther on your iMac. You just buy Panther and install it. You can then still boot into 9.1 or 8.6 if you need/want to. You only need 9.2 if you want to run OS 8/9 (classic) applications from WITHIN Panther. With your Mac, you would be better off booting into OS 9 to run your classic apps. Don't spend more money than you need to.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 2003, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Wahnsinn:
What? You don't need 9.2 to install Panther on your iMac. You just buy Panther and install it. You can then still boot into 9.1 or 8.6 if you need/want to. You only need 9.2 if you want to run OS 8/9 (classic) applications from WITHIN Panther. With your Mac, you would be better off booting into OS 9 to run your classic apps. Don't spend more money than you need to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules