Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > importing photos into iPhoto from my hard drive

importing photos into iPhoto from my hard drive
Memphis_Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 11:59 PM

I'm still a a relative newbie to OSX and iPhoto, so pardon my ignorance. But I want to make sure I don't delete all my old pictures.

Simple question:

I have my digital images in folders on my hard drive. I want to import them all into iPhoto.
If I do that, can I safely erase the orginal folders the pictures were in? I'm 99.9% sure it has made duplicates (not aliases) of the photos in the iPhoto Library folder(s). I just want to be positive that I can delete them from their original location (to save some drive space.)

Thanks,

Brian

macrob1n
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 03:17 AM

Use the import command from iPhoto's file menu to get the pics inculded in your iPhoto library. You can look in the library folder using finder to check they are all there. It should be safe to bin the originals.

macrob1n
iMac DV+, G4 800 iMac
xbox live tag - DeathBoB

Parky
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2004, 05:07 AM

I would also recommend if possible that you do a backup of your original folders to CD.
That way if you have a problem with iPhoto or you delete a photo from iPhoto that you might want again in the future you can always get it back.

You can of course make the backup directly from iPhoto once you have imported the photos. This is Ok if you only every want to load them into iPhoto again in the future. As iPhoto manages the folders the way it wants you may find it hard to find the photos on the CD using the finder.

I preferred to make a copy of all my 4500 photos in my own personal folder layout before I imported them into iPhoto.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules