Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Running Windows apps on a Mac - Darwine

Running Windows apps on a Mac - Darwine
t_hah
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 02:55 PM

The Darwine project made some news in the Mac community not too long ago. It seems like they have been working some more on this porject.
http://darwine.opendarwin.org/

Is anyone using Darwine? Could someone tell me more about this... how usable is it, what are the goods and bads...

Thanks,

t

Krypton
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 03:10 PM

From reading through the site, it appears that you can only run recompiled Windows apps on Darwine for now - essentially, because this is on a PPC you still need to emulate an x86 processor for native Windows apps to run.

The emulating bit is what comes next I guess.

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 04:09 PM

Actually not much has happened lately, though progress has been made in the last couple months so it's still going. I thought this thread would mention the qemu accelerator, which only accelerates emulation when both the host and virtual machine are x86 to the best of my knowledge (replacing VPC for the PC and VMWare perhaps).

Personally, I can't wait for Darwine to be able to run a .dll file without modification. There isn't much the Mac is lacking now (other than games of course), all I can ever think of is the Indeo video codecs and WMV3 Windows Media 9 format (WiMP 9 is available on OS X, but it's a horrible program, unwatchable usually on my machine, I'm talking about for MPlayer)
( Last edited by yukon; Feb 19, 2005 at 04:18 PM. )
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

mishakim
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 07:53 PM

I tried installing it a while back. The included compiled apps, like the MineSweeper clone, worked. The qemu emulator at that point could only emulate the whole machine, so you had to install a PC OS. The free DOS worked, but I couldn't get NT4.0 to install (the only thing I had an installer for). The installer would run, got to different points on different attempts, but always ultimately crashed. Other people got it to work, and I have no need, so I gave up.

down the road, once the library aspect of qemu is finished so you can emulate x86 as needed without running the overhead of an operating system it has great promise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules