Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Pangea's VR is awsome

Pangea's VR is awsome
t_hah
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2005, 02:27 PM

I just saw this news article on the MacNN main page and decided to give their QTVR browser plug-in a try. It is amazing! The panning is smooth and quick. The zooming could be a nit nicer, but it fine. What suprised me is that this things uses very little CPU time.

Great job Pangea!

Full article: http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/03/11/pangeavr.qtvr/

t

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 05:58 PM

Really cool. Worlds better than regular old QTVR.

It'd be nice if they could make a plug-in that would "pass through" other Quicktime content to the QUicktime plugin, so that web pages wouldn't have to be specifically coded for this plugin, though.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2005, 11:54 PM

Brilliant! But why are the icons so grainy/rough when using the plug-in?

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2005, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Really cool. Worlds better than regular old QTVR.

It'd be nice if they could make a plug-in that would "pass through" other Quicktime content to the QUicktime plugin, so that web pages wouldn't have to be specifically coded for this plugin, though.
I downloaded some of the Apple QTVR's and then authored a webpage to redisplay the files using the correct HTML. What a world of a difference the Pangea VR plug-in made!

I agree that Pangea should consider having their plug-in override the default QTVR mode; it's a hassle recoding each webpage to take advantage of the Pangea VR plug-in. I can't believe how much performance Apple gives up by not taking advantage of the video card more.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2005, 12:06 AM

Check out the trial version of CubicNavigator; it seems to do the same thing Pangea VR does (be sure to click the "View as VR" button in the toolbar to turn on OpenGL mode).

Gavin
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 06:23 AM

The image quality didn't seem as good to me - at least with the one on the frozen dock where they had the same VR in regular QTVR and you could see them side by side.

It was nice an fast though.

With the video and graphic stuff in tiger, core whatever, we should see this kind of speed up with everything!

Forum Links
Forum Rules