Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Whats Ironic

Whats Ironic
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 04:20 AM

What’s Ironic is that originally back in 1984 Apple's perceived enemy was IBM, as such that original commercial in 1984 was directed at the IBM aka Big Blue watching over every one. Its amazing how times have changed, who would have thought IBM would become a pathetic company that couldn’t even keep its PC products profitable, and it would be Microsoft that would take over as enemy number 1. All sad about the PowerPC going bye bye, really it comes from the original Apple Enemy. Like the old saying goes, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Apple did just that.

On a side note, what do you think will happen to the CPU Upgrade market? Being that G4's are ZIF sockets and I am assuming that G5's are too, I wonder if there will be non-PowerPC upgrade CPU's for these machines.

Out of boredom today I decided to Install System 7.5.3 on my Sony Laptop, oh how I miss the old days of drop dead simple. Its amazing how functional even OS 7.5.3 was. Does any one else miss the old OS, I can remember back then a Walkman was still the main portable music player, most car's had cassette tapes and CD's where over priced. I think 10 years from now we will be looking back at these times thinking how wonderful they where.

Just my rants for the night.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 05:24 AM

I miss System 7 and the simple finder. I'm a very simple user. All the functionality I use within my computer expect perhaps in regards to web browsers and email clients was available on System 7. I don't ever use the Finder toolbars or sidebars. I keep my folders nice and organised on a folder on the desktop. I don't see how you could need anything more.

I must admit though Aqua is a more appealing GUI, I just think the Finder has many features which aren't useful to me.
In vino veritas.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 05:36 AM

what I liked most was the low overhead, programs had most of the CPU and memory to itself. What do you remmeber about the times when you where still using System 7, what was going on in your area of the world.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 06:01 AM

System 7 is the OS on which I learned the Mac, or computers for that matter, I learned everything on an SE/30 and an LC. The memories

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Bartman
Jun 10, 2005, 04:59 PM

what i miss from older macs is the ability to boot from a ram disk.. used to do it all the time with my Motorola Starmax 3000 (hehehehehehehe) with a whopping 64mb ram.. too bad i can't do it with my G5 with 1.5gb memory..

sweet memories
Once you put your hand in the flame you can never be the same, there's a certain satisfaction in a little bit of pain.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
On a side note, what do you think will happen to the CPU Upgrade market? Being that G4's are ZIF sockets and I am assuming that G5's are too, I wonder if there will be non-PowerPC upgrade CPU's for these machines.

Out of boredom today I decided to Install System 7.5.3 on my Sony Laptop, oh how I miss the old days of drop dead simple. Its amazing how functional even OS 7.5.3 was. Does any one else miss the old OS, I can remember back then a Walkman was still the main portable music player, most car's had cassette tapes and CD's where over priced. I think 10 years from now we will be looking back at these times thinking how wonderful they where.

Just my rants for the night.
You want to put an Intel daughter card or ZIF processor on your Mac motherboard. . . Hey, I've got an idea, why don't we find some G2 Macs (7500-9600/350) and replace their daughter cards with Intel ones as well!! Then they can run Leopard too! Totally awesome! Errm. . . Truthfully, you must have been quite tired/drunk/high when thinking that little gem up. And btw, you wanted to use the word "were" not "where" in those two instances. Just giving you a hard time.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 10, 2005, 05:19 PM

Whats Ironic
Not rain on your wedding day. That's just bad luck.

osxpinot
Senior User
Jun 10, 2005, 05:24 PM

IBM isn't what it used to be, but they are far from a pathetic company. If anybody is big brother, it's intel. Just take a look at their new DRM technology. Now, that is ironic.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2005, 05:48 PM

Out of boredom today I decided to Install System 7.5.3 on my Sony Laptop
Am I missing something? How did you install a Mac OS on a Sony?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2005, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Not rain on your wedding day. That's just bad luck.
You beat me to it!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Probably on PearPPC or basilisk ii or something. iirc, 7.5.3 was the PPC enabled version of System 7.5

I do feel nostalgic for System 7.5 on occasion though. It was my first introduction to the Macintosh platform. Family had a Performa 640 with the DOS card in it. A 33 MHz Motorola 68LC040 with 16 MB of RAM and a 66 MHz Intel 486DX/2 with 8 MB of RAM. Ahhh... even as a kiddie I found it odd that the DOS card had more horsepower than the native proc.

After that is was straight to a dual G4 450 (G-bit ethernet) for my college machine. from 33 MHz and System 7.5 to 450 MHz and OS 9, then later OS X Public Beta. Man, that was quite the jump.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 08:06 PM

Ahhh... that days of DOS. Now those were simpler times.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bartman
what i miss from older macs is the ability to boot from a ram disk.. used to do it all the time with my Motorola Starmax 3000 (hehehehehehehe) with a whopping 64mb ram.. too bad i can't do it with my G5 with 1.5gb memory..

sweet memories

I used to do that all the time, I had 136MB and with 7.6 or 8.1 the dam thing loaded up so fast, I use to do that with PC friends of course not telling them it was a ram disk to show how fast a Mac was.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
You want to put an Intel daughter card or ZIF processor on your Mac motherboard. . . Hey, I've got an idea, why don't we find some G2 Macs (7500-9600/350) and replace their daughter cards with Intel ones as well!! Then they can run Leopard too! Totally awesome! Errm. . . Truthfully, you must have been quite tired/drunk/high when thinking that little gem up. And btw, you wanted to use the word "were" not "where" in those two instances. Just giving you a hard time.

um bah im not even going to waste my time with this post nm

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
68k Emulator for Windows. Works really really good.

osxpinot
Senior User
Jun 11, 2005, 02:32 AM

Basilisk II is where it's at.

Somebody got it running on a pocketpc, it was pretty cool.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2005, 02:52 AM

68k Emulator for Windows. Works really really good.
Ah, cool. Maybe I'll do that with my Thinkpad for fun.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 03:38 AM

i only miss Lunatic Fringe.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 07:46 AM

Oregon Trail...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Earth Mk. II
Probably on PearPPC or basilisk ii or something. iirc, 7.5.3 was the PPC enabled version of System 7.5
Actually, 7.1.2 was the OS that came with the original Power Macs.

I do feel nostalgic for System 7.5 on occasion though. It was my first introduction to the Macintosh platform. Family had a Performa 640 with the DOS card in it. A 33 MHz Motorola 68LC040 with 16 MB of RAM and a 66 MHz Intel 486DX/2 with 8 MB of RAM. Ahhh... even as a kiddie I found it odd that the DOS card had more horsepower than the native proc.
I sometimes feel nostalgic for System 7.1, or especially for System 6... but definitely not 7.5.3. When I think of System 7.5.3, I think of this:

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Bartman
Jun 11, 2005, 03:46 PM

In all the time i used system 7.5.3, that "resume" button in the crash alert only worked one time.. anyone had better luck? i remeber my mac would just freeze as soon as my pc using friends touches the mouse,, very sad.
Once you put your hand in the flame you can never be the same, there's a certain satisfaction in a little bit of pain.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2005, 04:47 PM

Apple-Power G-FINDER worked half and half for me. I never really knew what I was doing, but it was a lot of fun!

Forum Links
Forum Rules