Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVD drive rejects CDs as soon as they inserted ?

DVD drive rejects CDs as soon as they inserted ?
Bartman
Nov 22, 2001, 01:13 PM

Hi,

Before you ask, I've searched this forum but couldn't find anything. Anyway, my problem is with an Original Graphite iMac. Everytime I insert a DVD or a CD into the slot loading drive, it spits it out. I've checked for firmware updates (both iMac and DVD drive) but I already have the latest firmware.
The iMac is running MacOS 9.2.1 with 64MB RAM and a 13GB hard drive.

Any ideas ? Can someone tell me where to get a replacement drive, my machine is out of warranty.

Thanks all...
Once you put your hand in the flame you can never be the same, there's a certain satisfaction in a little bit of pain.

ehurley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2001, 03:38 PM

I'm having same problem...sorry I don't have the answer. Maybe if there's two of us, someone wiser/more experienced will help.

My machine is an iMac DV SE 500mhz DVD. I downloaded the 9.2 update, installed (w/ a few errors...quicktime channels and something about Apple open transport missing), now won't reboot normally. And I can't make the thing boot off any CD. I've tried the 9.2 CD that came with the copy of OSX I installed on the cube, the software restore disks that came with the machine, the hardware test disk, etc. . Same symptom...insert disk, drive "ticks'" and then ejects. I've tried holding "C", holding the key combination that's supposed to make it look for a boot drive other than the hard drive...nothing.

CD
Originally posted by Bartman:
<STRONG>Hi,

Before you ask, I've searched this forum but couldn't find anything. Anyway, my problem is with an Original Graphite iMac. Everytime I insert a DVD or a CD into the slot loading drive, it spits it out. I've checked for firmware updates (both iMac and DVD drive) but I already have the latest firmware.
The iMac is running MacOS 9.2.1 with 64MB RAM and a 13GB hard drive.

Any ideas ? Can someone tell me where to get a replacement drive, my machine is out of warranty.

Thanks all...</STRONG>

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2001, 07:25 PM

since you have a dvd drive and not a cd/cdrw drive i'll bet its the firmware. The dvd firmware doesn't always show up on the software updater so you should go and search the apple support site for the update.
I know i know, you said you already had the newest firmware but...
Lets do a test, try starting up with a bootable (one that is older than 9.2) disk and holding the c key. (stick the cd in before it boots) if it doesn't get rejected right away its a soft/firm ware problem. Then we can trouble shoot.

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: gto47 ]
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

Bartman  (op)
Nov 25, 2001, 07:41 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I've tried rebooting holding the "C", but the problem presists, the CD is ejected. I check again with Apple's support site and couldn't find newer firmware updates. I've also tried using one of these DVD Region Free flashing software in hope of re-flashing the firmware, but it didn't work. I'm giving up, may be I'll find a cheap drive on eBay.

Thanks again,,

Bartman.
Once you put your hand in the flame you can never be the same, there's a certain satisfaction in a little bit of pain.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 25, 2001, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Bartman:
<STRONG>Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I've tried rebooting holding the "C", but the problem presists, the CD is ejected. I check again with Apple's support site and couldn't find newer firmware updates. I've also tried using one of these DVD Region Free flashing software in hope of re-flashing the firmware, but it didn't work. I'm giving up, may be I'll find a cheap drive on eBay.

Thanks again,,

Bartman.</STRONG>
Hi,

I'm in Raleigh, and I've got a slot-loading CD drive around here, not the DVD... I wouldn't mind loaning it to you to test, but I'd want it back... Don't know if that helps you any or not.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Bartman  (op)
Nov 25, 2001, 10:15 AM

Hi,

thanks for the offer, but I'm buying a new drive soon, if you or someone else knows where I can get replacement drives I'll be greatful..

thanks all,,,

Bartman

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2001, 04:16 PM

icni.com probably has them, i've seen them somewhere else too, but i cant remember where

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: gto47 ]
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

ehurley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2001, 10:24 AM

I drove my iMac over to Willowbend Apple store. The bad news, according to the service techs there...logic board is bad. Quoted repair price is more than it's worth. Part quoted at $900 plus install of $300. Bartman...hope your luck is better than mine.

I'm going to try another repair shop...and then possibly send away for the Macquarium kit.

Lesson learned - buy the extended warranty, esp when dealing with single-source supplier.

Bartman  (op)
Nov 27, 2001, 10:28 AM

Well I hope so, because I already bought a DVD and it should be in the mail soon, I hate to know it is the logic board.
I wish you luck my friend...

Forum Links
Forum Rules