Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes free music videos

iTunes free music videos
goose
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 01:09 PM

What happened to the free music videos that were on iTunes? I remember before the video iPod was introduced, the Music store had a section where I could watch some music videos without having to pay for them. Seems everything is now $1.99.

There's never enough when you have too little

dillerX
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 01:26 PM

You're surprised?
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 03:05 PM

Apple decided you'd rather buy tiny music videos, rather than download large quality ones for free.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 04:43 PM

They have a free song download of the week.... why not a free video as well?

usualy when I download the free song, I end up spendinga few dollars or tens of dollars on music.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

goose  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by dillerX
You're surprised?
Well, was hoping that you'd only have to pay if you wanted to take it with you on your iPod or whatever....

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by mpancha
They have a free song download of the week.... why not a free video as well?

usualy when I download the free song, I end up spendinga few dollars or tens of dollars on music.
i was wondering if they would release a free video of the week, but i don't think they will.
my reasoning is that they release the free song, and if you like it you can buy the rest of the album (i've done it before), but if they release a free video what will that video entice you to buy? more music videos?

the only free videos i could understand would be part 1 of a bunch. like a free pixar video, since that would entice you to buy the rest of the pixar ones. episode 1 of a tv show, again, get you hooked, buy the rest of the show. especially for a show like lost where you can get the whole of season 1 for $34.
giving out the first episode of the 1st season for free wouldn't be a bad idea.

but music videos i don't see working since i like song x and get that video for free but can't stand song y and z, and thus i don't want those videos.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 08:20 PM

Apple's position will be that you could never download the music videos. They only played in iTunes. Now they are letting you download and keep them.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 13, 2005, 08:41 PM

Apple just decided that HD trailers are stupid and useless...they've replaced them with iPod-sized trailers and charging people 1.99 for 'em.

I do find it annoying that they've reduced video sizes to match the iPod's screen resolution. What good is Front Row and the computer if you gotta watch these QuickTime 1-sized postage-stamp movies.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 09:35 PM

The vids were not exactly free in iTunes 4/5. As you could not save them. At least not without some jiggery pokery anyway You had to keep downloading them again, if you wanted to watch them again later, prior to this new change that is.

Does seem somewhat stupid tho, that the vids previously, were the same resolution, if not better, than we have now, yet now Apple charge for them
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2005, 12:25 AM

balh, whatever. I just hope they beef up the TV show content quickly. I would love to be able to buy some Family Guy off the store...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by chabig
Apple's position will be that you could never download the music videos. They only played in iTunes. Now they are letting you download and keep them.
Tell that to the 120 videos I already downloaded from iTunes

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Grrr
Does seem somewhat stupid tho, that the vids previously, were the same resolution, if not better, than we have now, yet now Apple charge for them
No kidding. Some of the videos I have (as well as the rest of us in the know about downloading them) are better resolution/quality than what the iTMS is now charging for.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 14, 2005, 08:00 AM

The only reason for the drop in resolution is to accommodate the ViPod. There is no other reason. Apple wants to make sure you can download videos from the iTMS and drop them into your ViPod right away.

It's sad but true.

The more I think about it, the more I realize the announcement was premature. But I suppose it was a necessary one to one-up the competition. I'm curious to see how they're going to fix this ... surely they won't keep selling postage stamp-sized videos forever.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 10:15 AM

In the beginning of time, music videos started as promotional material to sell singles and albums. This idea carried over to the originally available videos in the iTMS.

Now Apple is trying turn the downloadable video into a desired object in itself. The registering of the silly term 'Vingle' points to this. Kind of like creating a new market.

Interesting things may or may not follow. Music companies may think they can charge more ($1.99) for the single, if it comes with video. Maybe it works. Small budget indie videos (and thus filmmakers) gain access to a huge marketplace, not without some compensation.

And much, much more ... or not.

J

goose  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by chabig
Though wish they'd still have the free videos available. Don't wish to download and save and don't plan on getting a video iPod.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2005, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire

Interesting things may or may not follow. Music companies may think they can charge more ($1.99) for the single, if it comes with video. Maybe it works. Small budget indie videos (and thus filmmakers) gain access to a huge marketplace, not without some compensation.

And much, much more ... or not.

J
yes, I have to agree, certain things may or may not happen. I wish I could get paid for predictions like that one!!!

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2005, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Apple just decided that HD trailers are stupid and useless...they've replaced them with iPod-sized trailers and charging people 1.99 for 'em.

I do find it annoying that they've reduced video sizes to match the iPod's screen resolution. What good is Front Row and the computer if you gotta watch these QuickTime 1-sized postage-stamp movies.

I believe that HD trailers are still avaliable at the quicktime site.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2005, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Boondoggle
yes, I have to agree, certain things may or may not happen. I wish I could get paid for predictions like that one!!!
I'll gladly split my revenue

J

Forum Links
Forum Rules