Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Flat surface required?

Flat surface required?
CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2002, 12:52 AM

I have a goofy computer desk that is nice in that it's fully adjustable -- you can raise and lower the keyboard and monitor level -- except where the monitor sits I cannot make it a flat surface. (I imagine it was designed for a PC monitor, but I have my CRT iMac sitting there.) If I crank it all the way up there is still a 10 or 15 degree incline, sloping down toward the back of the desk.

My old iMac seemed OK with that (I don't use the flip foot, which helps a bit). But what about the new iMacs? Do they require a flat surface to sit on? If it's not on a level surface, will that mess up the HD and/or CD drive?

Thanks.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2002, 12:59 AM

why would your mac need a flat surface?
Like I dout it's a freakish incline.

The iMacs are designed to be carried by the arm so I don't see how if it's built to take that much, how it's hard drive couldn't take a slight incline.

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2002, 01:04 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
<strong>why would your mac need a flat surface?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I don't know, that's why I'm asking. Do hard drives operate just fine at different angles?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2002, 01:16 AM

The answer is yes, as I've seen hard drives mounted in computers at any angle possible (even upside down).

What kills a hard drive is a sudden jolt or such, a laptop for example is a good example of hard drives not really being gravity specific because you can use them at very high angles and they still are ok.

*shrug* The optical drive will be fine with it as well. Good luck
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Jun 1, 2002, 10:33 AM

My only worry would be the thing sliding around. If there is something on the back to keep things sliding off you may have to turn the computer 90 degrees to have access to the ports on the back if you put it all the way to the rear. Even then since the base is round it might slide around a little. You might also try a rubber mat or some sor of stick on rubber feet.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2002, 02:51 PM

CaseCom, you have nothing to worry about. Imagine what freakish inclines notebooks are used at.

The iMac has a fairly grippy base. 10-15 degrees is nothing.

Good luck with your new iMac!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2002, 02:29 PM

Laptop hard drives are not the same as desktop hard drives.

And, MacZealot, if you look, you'll always see hard drives mounted in a vertical or horizontal plane, not at an odd angle.

Imagine a gyroscope, with the spinning center- in horizontal or vertical planes, it doesn't experience a lot of force- but try and rotate it to an angle between those two, and you'll feel force trying to correct it.

Now, that force is exerted on the spinning part of the gyroscope, or in CaseCom's case, the hard drive platters.

Are you sure you can't make a wedge that will shim it up to level?
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

CaseCom  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2002, 03:14 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by vmarks:
<strong>Are you sure you can't make a wedge that will shim it up to level?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I probably could rig something up ... but not being much of a woodworker I don't have many tools to work with. I take it you think I should?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2002, 06:03 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by CaseCom:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by vmarks:
<strong>Are you sure you can't make a wedge that will shim it up to level?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I probably could rig something up ... but not being much of a woodworker I don't have many tools to work with. I take it you think I should?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I know I would. If I had your desk and the iMac here, I would make it up for you. (Vmarks has a wood shop at his disposal.)

Or, if I knew the exact degree and the diameter of the base of the iMac, I could try and do the same.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2002, 07:30 AM

As long as there is no risk in the imac sliding off the desk due to the incline and being damaged, then it should be ok.

With the new imac screen you would have a little more flexibility in correcting the incline on the screen too! They really do tilt a lot.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2002, 10:28 AM

Uh.. gyoscopes only resist a change in their axis of rotation when they are spinning. The axis of rotation doesn't have to be perpendicular or parallel to the plane of the ground for them to work properly. Ergo, a hard drive will work just fine at an inclined angle. As long as you don't move it around while its running the hard drive doesn't really care what angle it is mounted at. A small angle like fifteen degrees won't bother your computer's operation one bit. Don't bother proping the iMac up any because there is nothing wrong with having the base at an incline.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

xandro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2002, 06:27 PM

I don't know much about gyroscopes or hard drives, but consider this description of the optional stand that comes with the eMac.
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> This Tilt-and-Swivel stand . . . allows users to tilt the system from -5 to +15 degrees up and down, and allows for 360-degree swiveling. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Apparently, tilting the eMac causes no problems. The iMac should be about the same, no?

Forum Links
Forum Rules