Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Locked out of OS X

Locked out of OS X
t_hah
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 11:44 PM

My wife has a PowerBook G4. I had my own account on it, which had admin privileges. I created it a while back, just in case she screwed something up and I needed to get in to fix it. Well, it turns out that since then she removed my admin priviledges... and now she locked herself out. To make things even more fun, her DVD drive is broken, so I cannot reset the password using the Tiger install disk.

So I can log into my account, but I have no admin access... I cannot get to root access... what else is left?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2006, 11:53 PM

Boot into single-user mode (i.e. hold command-S while the computer starts). Type the following at the command line:
Code:
cd /private/var/db rm .AppleSetupDone reboot
This will make the computer revert to the mode it's in the first time you turn it on, with the setup assistant that lets you create a new admin.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 11:54 PM

Alright.... she got some option to revert her keychain back to the previos state... which she did and she could use her previous password. I didn't knot that there was such an ption, but I guess this worked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules