Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP: Blinking LED below F6 - what is it?

MBP: Blinking LED below F6 - what is it?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2006, 04:23 AM

There is a blinking LED right below the MBP's F6 key. You can see it if you look at your MBP's F6 key from the left side at about a 30 degree angle. I've tried looking at the AASP disassembly guides for the 15" MBP but I wasn't able to find an explanation of what the LED is or what it's showing. Any ideas?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 04:51 AM

On my MacBook, the F6 key has a built in light as it also functions as the NUM lock key, and the light illuminates when NUM lock is activated. I don't know if the MBP has something similar, and it is malfunctioning on your machine, or something else..
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2006, 06:53 AM

Wtf? Once you hit the key twice to turn on and off the LED, it stops blinking. A couple minutes later it starts blinking again. Weird.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2006, 03:47 AM

In the meantime I noticed hitting any key on the keyboard will get the LED to stop blinking. But only for a minute or so. Then it starts again.

So what's the deal people? Am I the only one who has this (why?) or are you just too lazy to check if you have the blinking LED too once you don't type for a minute or so?

I'd be interested in finding out what the purpose of that blinking LED is. Just curious.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2006, 05:57 AM

Could you take a video to show us what's happening?

Danoldo
Jun 2, 2006, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by seanc
Could you take a video to show us what's happening?

You're going to get a video of the num lock LED blinking. Then when he hits a key, this LED will stop blinking.

You really want a video of this?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2006, 06:04 AM

No, but I thought it might help to describe the problem.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2006, 09:18 AM

Donaldo is right. That's all you'd see. Can't take a video anyway, sorry.

uzombie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Donaldo is right. That's all you'd see. Can't take a video anyway, sorry.
Surely the MBP's iSight and a mirror would suffice?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jun 7, 2006, 09:40 PM

I'd call Apple.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2006, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Grande
I'd call Apple.
Why? From what I can see, nothing's broken. I'm just curious about something not detailed in the AASP manuals (which I officially shouldn't have) or the hardware documentation for developers. If it's not to be found there, why should some Joe Sixpack working at an Apple call center be able to tell me?

I was just hoping somebody here with more profound hardware knowledge had a hunch what it could be. And of course I'd like to know if it's common behavior.

rjayf98
Jun 8, 2006, 07:48 AM

I have the same "problem" with my MBP, but since everything (apart from whine and heat) is a-ok, i'm not bothered about it...it blinks just like u said above, but its so faint that u don't notice unless u look at ur keyboard from an angle to look under ur keys thru the gaps in between them...not what u'd typically be doing, now is it? As long as it doesnt affect form or function, i wudn't worry...

What would worry me is if the blinking was shortening the life of the num lock light...

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2006, 07:56 AM

For the billionth time: I know it's not a problem. I know my MBP is fine and I never doubted that. I'm curious, not worried.

I'm just asking what it could be and why it's doing that.

rjayf98
Jun 8, 2006, 08:19 AM

Yeah, I never said it was a problem, i said it was a "problem"...subtle difference of meaning
No idea what it could be or why its doing that, but here's hoping its not a bad sign...

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 09:52 AM

it's like an Engine Service light for your MBP instead of your car. So what it's trying to tell you is take it in to the Apple Store, or call Apple's Service department. it's more likely they'll be able to tell you what the issue is. And Seeing how Close that key is the the "Major Heat" problem it could just be the simple fact that the sensor for the light has been melted or something else..take it in and get it checked out.

rjayf98
Jun 8, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by jhonizzle
it's like an Engine Service light for your MBP instead of your car. So what it's trying to tell you is take it in to the Apple Store, or call Apple's Service department. it's more likely they'll be able to tell you what the issue is. And Seeing how Close that key is the the "Major Heat" problem it could just be the simple fact that the sensor for the light has been melted or something else..
You're kidding, right?

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 04:12 PM

yes that would be an example of humor...while recomending to take it in to get it looked at. the last part about something shorting out for the light isn't a joke

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 12:22 PM

My MacBook (non pro) has just started behaving exactly like the OPs one - the light in the num lock key is blinking dimly very fast, press it, and it goes away for a few minutes and then comes back. Doesn't bother me (partly because my MB is being replaced), but still, its odd.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

rjayf98
Jun 10, 2006, 12:40 PM

^^Seems to be a common issue...let us know if ur replacement does the same thing...when r u getting it?

Anyone else have the blinking green light?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by zany-ninja
^^Seems to be a common issue...let us know if ur replacement does the same thing...when r u getting it?

Anyone else have the blinking green light?
Will do. I dont know when its coming, Apple said that the parcel service will ring me on tuesday to arrange collection of the old MB, and that the new MB will be put into production 'ASAP'

bernt
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2006, 11:24 AM

I have the same issue, goes away when typing something. Strange thing, for sure...
PowerBook 15" 1.25G/1G/80G | iMac G5 17" 1.6G/1.5G/300G | MacBook Pro 15" CD2.0G/1.5G/120G | MacBook C2D 2.2G/4G/160G

Forum Links
Forum Rules