Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird New Hidden Files in Finder ??

Weird New Hidden Files in Finder ??
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2006, 06:59 AM

After getting my MBP, and installing boot camp, I noticed that in some programs where you go to the open file option, I see many hidden files with Windows -ish type file names. First of all, I didn't even know finder can have hidden files. By hidden, I mean that these files dont' show up normally when accessing finder through the finder window. But when I access finder through the "open file" windows or "save file" windows, I see these files.

Here is an example of what I am seeing.

Anyone else see this before on their Mac? Do you think the windows installation might be involved? Should I be worried? (virus) ?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 5, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration
After getting my MBP, and installing boot camp, I noticed that in some programs where you go to the open file option, I see many hidden files with Windows -ish type file names. First of all, I didn't even know finder can have hidden files. By hidden, I mean that these files dont' show up normally when accessing finder through the finder window. But when I access finder through the "open file" windows or "save file" windows, I see these files.

Here is an example of what I am seeing.

Anyone else see this before on their Mac? Do you think the windows installation might be involved? Should I be worried? (virus) ?
.CFUser...
.DS_Store
.localized
.Trash

These files are absolutely normal...although I wish they weren't.

.dvdcss
.eno
.lpoptions
.spumux
.wapi

These files were created by applications developed by people that should be using the ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Application Support folders but didn't...these files are created by apps that normally have UNIXy or Linuxy roots and are generally a type of 'preference' file: deleting them will simply make the app that uses the hidden file to forget the options you have set for it. Some of these badly written apps might even be one of Apple's apps.

I'm guessing .lpoptions is a printer prefs file (CUPS?)... .wapi probably has something to do with networks...do you have another computer on your home network? .dvdcss is, I believe, created by VLC.

kick52
Baninated
Jul 5, 2006, 08:58 AM

they are all normal finder files. they keep information about the window style, and the files. luckily, finder doesnt write them to external drives anymore.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by kick52
they are all normal finder files.
The .$$ Stuff-folders certainly are not normal. They look like folders for temporary files.

As Horsepoo said, these files (with the exceptions he mentioned) are preferences and temporary files created by applications with Unix roots. A "proper" Mac application would put them in in ~/Library/Preferences, ~/Library/Application Support and /tmp/<user>/Temporary Items.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2006, 03:48 PM

Thanks guys. That puts my mind to a lot at ease just knowing what it is. So I believe I know the program that is putting these files there. How do I get these files in question to show up in the finder normally in order to delete them. Or how do I just delete these files? Thanks.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
The .$$ Stuff-folders certainly are not normal. They look like folders for temporary files.
Absolutely. Those are StuffIt Expander temps that should 'go away' as soon as
expansion successfully completes. Just get rid of those. (Maybe measure them
first, to see how much space you've been wasting).

-HI-

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2006, 12:58 AM

^ I see. How would I go about "getting rid of those" ? I only see the files in the open files window of just some programs. Not in the normal finder. The specific program is azureus.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jul 6, 2006, 01:13 AM

Open terminal and paste in

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles ON

then switch to the Finder hold the Shift Key and click the Apple Menu and click "Force Quit Finder" when the Finder re-launches you will see all the invisible items, delete those StuffIt ones then go back to Terminal and paste in

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles OFF

Then re-launch the Finder again and all the Files will be hidden again.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2006, 05:06 AM

I don't think thats the only way. I have omni disk sweeper and those files showed up when I sweeped the disk. Deleting the files through this program should be the same yes ?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2006, 05:43 AM

You could also Go To those folders using the Go To Folder option in the Finder's Go menu. Using this on a folder will make it temporarily visible (with its icon being a shade of light grey).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jul 9, 2006, 03:37 PM

I don't think thats the only way. I have omni disk sweeper and those files showed up when I sweeped the disk. Deleting the files through this program should be the same yes ?
Yes OmniDiskSweeper will show you all the files, however the delete function requires you pay for the app.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Grande
Yes OmniDiskSweeper will show you all the files, however the delete function requires you pay for the app.
Which is why folks will often use/recommend (the free) "WhatSize".
Though, it does a 'move to Trash' instead, that I'm not crazy about.
(But... I guess the author was thinking: 'better safe than sorry').
-HI-

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis
Moving it to the Trash is the way I would have done it had I written that app. It is indeed better to be safe than to get a flood of angry e-mails because your program did something nefarious.

It's not that hard to go empty the Trash, is it?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
It's not that hard to go empty the Trash, is it?
True enough.

Guess I'm thinking of those situations where the user has somehow gone and
filled their HD up to the last few megabytes. The limited space (and possibly
funky state of the catalog file) makes "moving" items around an unnecessary
step, which might/could add further detriment to an already ticklish scenario.

Be nicer then to simply 'nuke-in-place'. (Or maybe I'm over-thinking things).
-HI-

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2006, 12:44 AM

^ haha nukeinplace. Hopefully, the user would have been responsible enough to take action before they have only the last few megabytes.

As for that multitude of hidden files, I am leaving it there for now.. except for the .$$ files. since i have no idea what they do and they are actually hidden (plus little HD Space).

I am going to go exploring my old ibook to see if it has these mysterious folders as well

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jul 11, 2006, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis
Hey thanks for the tip, always looking for a new app. UI is better then DiskSweeper too.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 02:00 PM

Hopefully, the user would have been responsible enough to take action before they have only the last few megabytes.
Typically yes. There are times though when some software glitch will cause a log file that
should normally be a few hundred KB to suddenly blow up to several gigs. Or, a foul-up
with a mounted volume sometimes makes a backup program miss the mountpoint in /Volumes,
and start "backing-up" to a local folder inside /Volumes instead. Things like that can cause an
HD to fill up in a matter of minutes.

Either of those types of events could catch even seasoned veterans by surprise.

except for the .$$ files. since i have no idea what they do and they are actually hidden (plus little HD Space).
Those are StuffIt Expander temp files. Unless Expander is expanding right now... they shouldn't be there.
(I refer to folders starting with a period: .$$ -- OTOH, a file such as $YMB650107$ is an MYOB registration).
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Jul 11, 2006 at 02:13 PM. )
-HI-

Forum Links
Forum Rules