Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AT&T DSL modem & 5.8GHz cordless phones

AT&T DSL modem & 5.8GHz cordless phones
GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2007, 10:36 AM

anyone have trouble getting these two to play nice? The phone is connected to the wall jack with a DSL filter. All other corded phones are connected with a DSL filter. The cordless phone cannot obtain a dial tone. DSL modem works fine even when one of the corded phones is in use. Did some web data mining and it appears I'm not alone but other people I know report no problems using the same ISP's DSL and their cordless digital phones.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2007, 04:58 PM

When you're offline, does the cordless phone get a dial tone? Does the phone work without a DSL filter in any situation? If not, I think you have a bad phone, not a network problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

GFitzy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2007, 07:00 AM

unlikely, the phone worked before the DSL service was activated AND I just tried setting up a new 6.0 GHz phone last night at it failed in the same fashion, no dial tone. I'm now reduced to calling 661 for the local phone company (AT&T) to delve into this mess.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 8, 2007, 08:10 AM

There are a lot of possibilities here, and most of them go straight to your wiring (the telephone wiring that is). Assuming you've tried the cordless phone in various outlets, there's a serious problem with how the phone line is connected to your home. AT&T is the right route for you. Sorry...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules