Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone and iMac compatibility?

iphone and iMac compatibility?
fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2007, 01:36 PM

I was excited to run out and get the iphone, and came to the nauseating realization:

I have a 1 GHz 17" sunflower iMac. It doesn't have USB2.0. It was the last Mac that did not have USB2.0. Ugh.

So, my only 4-year-old iMac will not support the iphone, correct?

Basically, I have to buy a $1500 new iMac to be able to get an iPhone. My iMac is only 4 years old and is in great shape. I see no reason to replace it.

My iPod, external drive, and CF reader all support FireWire. I don't know why Apple dumped it.

I cannot find a FW-to-USB converter.

Do I really have to buy a new Mac just to get an iPhone?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2007, 02:17 PM

All USB 2.0 devices will work on USB 1.0 machines. They will just run a little slower. Expect slow syncs for loading on music.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
All USB 2.0 devices will work on USB 1.0 machines. They will just run a little slower. Expect slow syncs for loading on music.
A little slower? Try several orders of magnitude slower. It will work, and if you don't plan to be swapping out the entire contents of the iPhone with every sync, it'll probably be doable, but make no mistake -- USB1.0 is way way slower than 2.0.

fmalloy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2007, 05:06 PM

I didn't know that all USB 2.0 devices would work on 1.0 machines. I thought there had to be special support built into the device. The specs for iPhone don't mention USB1.0/1.1 at all.

Can someone confirm iPhone will work with USB1.1?

Assuming it works...

If I get the iPhone and suck up the time it takes to fill the flash with tunes and address book, and don't plan to change the music on the phone very often, will it be doable?

Besides the music and contacts, what else is sync'ed with the Mac that would require high transfer rates?

Thanks for the help!

dawho9
Senior User
Jul 8, 2007, 05:08 PM

I thought I remember seeing on these forums last week a user with a bondinlue iMac that didn't work with the iphone because of USB 1.1.

Dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2007, 05:21 PM

It should work. So long as the software requirements are met.

Kind of like iPods... instead of 20 minutes to sync a few GB's of music... just leave it overnight.

fmalloy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
It should work. So long as the software requirements are met.
It would be great if someone could confirm for sure. I have the G4 "sunflower" iMac from 2003 and the latest OS X and of course iTunes.

When I told a young girl working at the Apple Store I didn't have USB2.0 she said "Oh, you can just download it"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by fmalloy View Post
It would be great if someone could confirm for sure. I have the G4 "sunflower" iMac from 2003 and the latest OS X and of course iTunes.

When I told a young girl working at the Apple Store I didn't have USB2.0 she said "Oh, you can just download it"
iPhone with USB 1.1 and 10.4.10? - AppleInsider

Ask TUAW: USB for iPhone, clean installs, MP3 tagging and more - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 8, 2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
A little slower? Try several orders of magnitude slower. It will work, and if you don't plan to be swapping out the entire contents of the iPhone with every sync, it'll probably be doable, but make no mistake -- USB1.0 is way way slower than 2.0.
I used to sync my Palm over USB1 on my G3 tower. It wasn't so bad. Transferring music and photos though is going to be horribly slow.

fmalloy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2007, 07:20 PM

Thanks, GoMac!

Willing to try it. I don't see myself changing music very often, and it will keep me going until I upgrade...

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2007, 12:29 AM

That's the funniest thing I've read in quite some time.

Yeah, USB 1 will be doable, but it will be a constant source of frustration.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2007, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
A little slower? Try several orders of magnitude slower.
Just one order of magnitude. USB 2.0 is only 40 times faster than USB 1.1 - nominally, at least (480Mbit vs. 12Mbit).

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2007, 12:44 PM

Also: I looked into USB-to-FireWire converters myself. They don't exist. AFAIK it's still physically impossible to convert between the two standards.

Apple dumping FireWire support was a stupid movie, IMO. They pushed FireWire as their chosen high-speed standard for nearly a decade, and their arbitrary decision to drop support on iPods and the iPhone leaves thousands of users out in the cold.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 9, 2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Just one order of magnitude. USB 2.0 is only 40 times faster than USB 1.1 - nominally, at least (480Mbit vs. 12Mbit).

"Only" 40 times faster? I stand corrected

DOC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2007, 03:27 AM

I have a powerbook g4 titanium 1ghz. Does not at all sync with iphone. I have also tried syncing with a
usb 2.0 notebook card and its not compatible. I spoke on the phone with an IT guy from Apple and we spent a few hours trying different ways to make it work. Sadly we were unsuccessful. I would like to think Apple will come up with a soluton but I wont count on it. I went to the Apple Store where I purchased my phone and used the Genius Bar to Sync my phone and Activate. I also brought in my portable hard drive and loaded all my music. They told me I could do so any time until the issue is resolved. I still feel the issue will only be resolved when I buy a new Mac and I will. But anyway it was nice of them to be so accomidating. If anyone has resolved this issue please let us know.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2007, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by DOC View Post
I have a powerbook g4 titanium 1ghz. Does not at all sync with iphone. I have also tried syncing with a
usb 2.0 notebook card and its not compatible. I spoke on the phone with an IT guy from Apple and we spent a few hours trying different ways to make it work. Sadly we were unsuccessful. I would like to think Apple will come up with a soluton but I wont count on it. I went to the Apple Store where I purchased my phone and used the Genius Bar to Sync my phone and Activate. I also brought in my portable hard drive and loaded all my music. They told me I could do so any time until the issue is resolved. I still feel the issue will only be resolved when I buy a new Mac and I will. But anyway it was nice of them to be so accomidating. If anyone has resolved this issue please let us know.
That's very odd. If it's a USB2 issue, the USB2 card should have worked. Whatever the case, glad to see Apple is on the issue you are having.

Also as a note to the OP, if for some reason it doesn't work you could always return it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2007, 07:52 AM

Indeed, the USB2 card should definitely have worked. Maybe try a different one?

Is it possible that your tiBook is beginning to go south? Most tiBooks I've met start going slightly wonky eventually - weird issues like the one you describe, or varying degrees of PCMCIA card slot failure - as an early indication of gently impending death...

Your iPhone problem certainly doesn't seem to be a widespread issue among tiBook users.

rw2157
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by DOC View Post
Exact same computer and exact same problem... I even bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and it will not work... I haven't talked to anyone at apple about it yet, but very frustrating to say the least.

Forum Links
Forum Rules