Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can't View Apple Videos

Can't View Apple Videos
fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 03:06 PM

My PowerBook Ti G4/500MHz refuses to show QuickTime videos within the Apple web site or iTunes previews. I just get a blank frame where the movie should play, or the window has the previous graphics. Sound plays ok, the progress bar moves, I can pause, etc. Downloaded QT movies play ok in the standalone QT application separately.

I am running the latest version of Tiger (Leopard is not supported). At one point, my hard drive failed and I replaced it with a new drive, and fresh install of Tiger. I thought for sure that would fix it. Still, the PB will not play QT videos within the application. Ironically, the PB will play embedded videos from other web sites like CNN and YouTube.

Any ideas?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 03:31 PM

Used to happen on my clamshell iBook. Only embedded QT. Do QT files play when you play them locally in QuickTime Player? Have you done an Archive and Install of the OS?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fmalloy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 03:33 PM

Another bit of irony...the Apple videos on the web site play ok in Firefox, but not Safari.

Still can't get the iTunes-based videos to work at all.

fmalloy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2008, 03:42 PM

Hi Big Mac,

Yes, any downloaded movies play ok in the standalone app.

No need to try archive and install - I installed a fresh, new HD and installed Tiger and its updates from scratch. Safari is the latest version.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2008, 03:43 PM

Strange. I say try a reinstall, although it could also be a problem in your Library that would be more difficult to figure out.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2008, 11:45 PM

This happened to me before, I know it sounds simple, but have you restarted? That worked for me when it happened.

fmalloy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2008, 08:13 PM

Restarted.

Does not work.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2008, 09:26 PM

This used to happen to me all the time. I noticed it, because I tried to watch the videos showing off the Leopard featrues. As stated, Safari would not play them, FF would. I never fixed it, but it's gone now.. So...

(running 10.5 now, too.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules