Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Argh! Need help!!!

Argh! Need help!!!
KingLerxst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2000, 01:33 PM

For some reason, my extensions are all screwed up. The multi-user login won't come up when I start the computer, therefore it goes straight into my account. Then, on all of my extensions, it will say "System Extension This extension adds functionality to your computer. To use it, place in the extensions folder." And it's sitting right there IN the extensions folder! Can anyone help?

------------------

Chris

Chris

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2000, 01:46 PM

Every extension will sy that if you double click on it, they are supposed to do that since there is no program to run from them. They are loaded along with your system at startup into resident memory if they were in the extensions folder upon start-up.

To enable and disable extension, use the control panel "extensions manager." use this to make sure you have all the Multi-User control panels and extensions enabled. Keep in mind that after you change a config in Extensions Manager it requires a restart for changes to take affect.

KingLerxst  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2000, 02:33 PM

Yes! It finally worked! Thanks man.

------------------

Chris

Chris

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2000, 09:30 PM

Just to clear up a little. Technically, extensions are "faceless" applications that extend functionality of the Operating System. You can actually enable and disable extensions in real time using AppleScript.

tell application "extension name"
activate
end tell

Probably give you an error, but it'll still launch. It'll ask you where the file is and tell you that it doesn't recognize the activate command. But it should work.

It'll work with most extensions, however, some extensions actually alter and take over code in the Finder.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2000, 10:20 PM

And seeing how he was talking about Multiple Users extensions it would be quite poinless to discuss enabling on the fly since these particular ones need a restart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules